The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

What to do What to do ?

I collect license plates ,,not as much as I used to but lately I got back into the game and decided I wanted some different plates all of the year 1939,

I came across a 1939 NY Worlds Fair Plate that was only about a mile from my home and so I went to look at it and thats when my eyes got bigger and bigger after entering this guys garage..not sure if it was how cold it was in there that made me shiver or was it what my eyes was looking at ,,lol

It is stacked full of old gas station signs and old plates ,,old hand pump gas pumps ..old car spot lights ect ect ...so much of old car added neat things I didnt get to even see it all as it is piled up on each other ,,hanging on walls

He tells me that his sons are not interested in it so he may sell it all ,,all but the old Tommy Gun,,that I so much would like to have..

So this is why my heading above says What to Do What to do ? We never talked about me buying the whole garage out ,,but he said come on over when ever I want and see if there is anything more would like to purchase..

Your opinions wanted..
Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: What to do What to do ?

Go back and have first pick at what you like. Get as much as you feel comfortable with. If he is giving you great deals (kinda doubt it) then buy a little more to sell and get some of your cost down. Mostly, I'd start doing my hmework to get an idea of what they are worth. Or more accurately, what they are selling for. A dealer will get more than an individual sale and a dealer won't pay as much as an individual.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
yuccales

What Tim said. I'd try to save as much as you can! "History" is being scrapped at an alarming rate these days.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
GOPAPA

Good Advice here guys and I hope to get more.. before I go back and see just how serious he is at getting rid of the collectables and also what he wants to keep and what he wants to part with..

This is few things that the guy shared with me and the main reason he is considering selling some or all ..
He has multiple problems with health wife and himself ..plus his garage is full and he wants it for parking their car in it .. double garage, he has gotten notices of not to park cars that does not run out from of his house,, as he has HOA'S and he is not happy with them rules.. he also has a El Cameno parked beside his garage that he had out on the street and it is pinned in between the fence and his garage with not room to work on it ..
Old 02-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
truckster

I would definitely keep the conversation going. You might just end up with a package deal. Then you could keep what you want and sell the rest.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I'm opposite. No more stuff for me (maybe truck parts lol). I have some old plates you can have, just cover the shipping costs. Ill take some pics of the plates and post them on this thread for you. If you want them they are yours.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

^^^ Difference between thinking toward retirement and one who already did 5 or more years ago. One doesn't want to carry it all with him and the other is already there, been there a while, knows what he needs to fill his days.

It would be great to get some sort of good friend blow my mind deal. But I'm thinking anyone who is deep into collecting something knows their values and isn't going to give anything away. He knows he has money sitting there. There ain't no saving to it. None of this is going anywhere but into collections. Restaurants, stores, night spots, museums, etc love this stuff, too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I would definitely keep the conversation going. You might just end up with a package deal. Then you could keep what you want and sell the rest.
yeah ,,that's what I was thinking ,,after reading his add and going to his home and then he couldnt find the 39 plate ,,he told me he would bring it to me ,,and when he found out where i lived ,,he ask me if I knew doug an neighbor , anyway we have a connection there that might just help me out. as the guy was a good friend of his .. bla bla bla ..so on and so on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I'm opposite. No more stuff for me (maybe truck parts lol). I have some old plates you can have, just cover the shipping costs. Ill take some pics of the plates and post them on this thread for you. If you want them they are yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
^^^ Difference between thinking toward retirement and one who already did 5 or more years ago. One doesn't want to carry it all with him and the other is already there, been there a while, knows what he needs to fill his days.

Yeah again ,,where would I store it as i am full now.. but still could be done with a large tarp as winter here will done soon ,,I think,, I might be interested in the license plates ,, will take a look at them and let you know .. ok ?

It would be great to get some sort of good friend blow my mind deal. But I'm thinking anyone who is deep into collecting something knows their values and isn't going to give anything away. He knows he has money sitting there. There ain't no saving to it. None of this is going anywhere but into collections. Restaurants, stores, night spots, museums, etc love this stuff, too.
I just remembered that he used to own a old Filling Station and I think most all of it came from there,,,so he didnt go out and buy all this stuff one thing at a time ,,maybe some ,,this might make the deal a bit cheaper beings he got it from when he bought the Station
Old 02-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #9
GOPAPA

Quote:
Sure ,, I have more room left on my garage walls for peticular old license plates still,,so lets have a look at them. and thx.. If you have a 1939 Golden Jubilee Washington License Plate ,,I am looking for one of those for my 1939 Collection ,,I could send ya hug if ya got one of them for me ,,lol
Old 02-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

You are welcome to these if you want, no jubilee though 😬
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
GOPAPA

Quote:
You are welcome to these if you want, no jubilee though ��
Sure,,, be Glad to have them and I would have your name on the backs like I do with others good folks have given me .. Pm me with a way I can pay you for postage and along with that I can send my address,, I'll send you you what it takes for you to mail them to me..pkging also . ok?
Old 02-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Sure,,, be Glad to have them and I would have your name on the backs like I do with others good folks have given me .. Pm me with a way I can pay you for postage and along with that I can send my address,, I'll send you you what it takes for you to mail them to me..pkging also . ok?
Shoot me the shipping name and address via pm and Ill get the stuff out to you. If UPS is OK Ill just do it from work and there wont be any costs.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:10 AM   #13
a1vintage69

Exclamation Re: What to do What to do ?

Gopapa Larry< That's awesome! I will get in line to be your first customer if you buy any signs that you are going to sell. I've been around for decades and have never had an opportunity to purchase any gas signs. I have Cash or I have some 67-72 nos gm truck parts I could trade. My daughter lives in Caldwell I will be up there this Spring or sooner. Please keep us informed. thanks, a1
a1vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #14
a1vintage69

Hey guys, I stopped in an old gas station that is set up to sell old parts and in the back room he had a giant Texaco Gas sign. It's 6 foot round and on both sides. It is a little dinged up but still nice. I offered to buy it. maybe next time his rent is due on the old station he might call me. It will be my first gas sign. the picture of the sign is not one one but looks just like it, i forgot to get a shot of it..
Attached Images

Last edited by a1vintage69; 03-02-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: picture
a1vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

To the OP- get as much as you can before those "picker" TV show guys show up and ace you out of the good stuff!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:31 PM   #16
GOPAPA

The guy is on vacation guys and I didnt want to look like I was overly interested ,,so will wait until he gets back and I will make it a time to just look ..as he said to me ,coem on over some time and have fun lookin..
Old 05-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #17
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I collect license plates ,,not as much as I used to but lately I got back into the game and decided I wanted some different plates all of the year 1939,

I came across a 1939 NY Worlds Fair Plate that was only about a mile from my home and so I went to look at it and thats when my eyes got bigger and bigger after entering this guys garage..not sure if it was how cold it was in there that made me shiver or was it what my eyes was looking at ,,lol

It is stacked full of old gas station signs and old plates ,,old hand pump gas pumps ..old car spot lights ect ect ...so much of old car added neat things I didnt get to even see it all as it is piled up on each other ,,hanging on walls

He tells me that his sons are not interested in it so he may sell it all ,,all but the old Tommy Gun,,that I so much would like to have..

So this is why my heading above says What to Do What to do ? We never talked about me buying the whole garage out ,,but he said come on over when ever I want and see if there is anything more would like to purchase..

Your opinions wanted..

A FOLLOW UP now on 5-7-18

A follow up all the old service station/filling station/garage vintage things... the guy is selling it on CL for a whole lot of money ,,no great deals ,,but rare things for sure ,,and to be fair,, he probably needs the money and the reason he is selling it at a high price..