The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
Foundlostart

Drop Spindle with 15" wheels ?

Hello all, new to 89-98 - I've had 3 99-06 and am pretty familiar with those.

ok so let me try and be concise here : I know that with the 99-06 when you are running a drop spindle your wheel needs to be 17" or bigger for clearance from the lower ball joint, or a 16" wheel will work if you run a ball joint spacer.

So, with these 89-98 trucks is it the same deal? I seem to have seen a few trucks when researching that run drop spindles with stock 15" wheels, which is what I want to do. So is there a certain manufacturers spindle that needs to be run? I've used Mcgaughys on 2 of my 99+ trucks and have nothing but praise for them.

I have a 94 Silverado shortbed 2wd with 454ss wheels.
Thanks!
Foundlostart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
Ol' Drippy

Re: Drop Spindle with 15" wheels ?

Correct, a 15" wheel won't clear the lower control arm with a dropped spindle. You can clearance the lower control arm and make it work however. You have to grind out part of the lower control arm, there are some posts out there with details I am sure.
Ol' Drippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #3
Tom
driving is in my blood

My 17" rims needed alot of clearancing to run tiny 2" spindles, I'd think you would need backspacing to be perfect to make 15"s work?
My 78 and my old 79 both ran 3" spindles with 15"s no problems or grinding. Ahhh the good old days
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
1badgmc

BellTech spindles push the front wheel track width out slightly to try and compensate and clear the control arm with smaller wheels, but then you can run into tire rubbing issues with your fenders if you're too low and I just think it looks bad with the wider front track.

Here's a picture (not mine) showing how to trim the "rain gutter" on the control arms to give clearance.
Attached Images

1badgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
Foundlostart

Thanks for the replies folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
BellTech spindles push the front wheel track width out slightly to try and compensate and clear the control arm with smaller wheels, but then you can run into tire rubbing issues with your fenders if you're too low and I just think it looks bad with the wider front track.

Here's a picture (not mine) showing how to trim the "rain gutter" on the control arms to give clearance.
Thanks for the visual there.
I wonder if that's a 15" wheel?
That doesn't seem like too big of a deal grinding/cutting the lower arm, I would just worry at some point taking out too much material and loosing the integrity of the arm. But if that's a 15" wheel in that pic then it'd be ok, I think. I wonder if that's one of those compensating bell tech spindles? So I wonder if I got a mcgaughy spindle if I'd have to clear out even more material, 'cause I surely wouldn't want to clear much more than in that pic.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
1badgmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundlostart View Post
Thanks for the replies folks!

Thanks for the visual there.
I wonder if that's a 15" wheel?
That doesn't seem like too big of a deal grinding/cutting the lower arm, I would just worry at some point taking out too much material and loosing the integrity of the arm. But if that's a 15" wheel in that pic then it'd be ok, I think. I wonder if that's one of those compensating bell tech spindles? So I wonder if I got a mcgaughy spindle if I'd have to clear out even more material, 'cause I surely wouldn't want to clear much more than in that pic.
Yes, that's a 15" wheel in the pic. I think it was a stock aluminum wheel, if I remember right.
No, those aren't BellTech spindles. They're DJM, I believe.

DJM used to sell plates that you could weld onto the bottom of your control arms to box them in after trimming the lip off, but it's really more of a placebo. I know guys who have run trimmed arms without boxing them in for years without a lick of trouble from it, so you'll be fine.
1badgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Foundlostart

Quote:
Yes, that's a 15" wheel in the pic. I think it was a stock aluminum wheel, if I remember right.
No, those aren't BellTech spindles. They're DJM, I believe.

DJM used to sell plates that you could weld onto the bottom of your control arms to box them in after trimming the lip off, but it's really more of a placebo. I know guys who have run trimmed arms without boxing them in for years without a lick of trouble from it, so you'll be fine.
Ok good to know.
That should settle it then for me, spindles are a-go with a little cutting/grinding.
Thanks!
Old 05-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #8
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Intresting. My clearance issues with 17"s is using belltechs. I love the slightly wider look myself.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #9
SCOTI

Dropped spindles (Belltech) & 15" Ralleys.....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:23 PM   #10
b454rat

I had a 90 that I lowered with spindles and had stock 8" rally's on it. It was 20 years ago, so don't remember all the details. But don't recall having to clearance anything.....
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #11
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
My 17" rims needed alot of clearancing to run tiny 2" spindles, I'd think you would need backspacing to be perfect to make 15"s work?
My 78 and my old 79 both ran 3" spindles with 15"s no problems or grinding. Ahhh the good old days
My old '93 C-1500 had factory aluminum 15" wheels. I also had mid-90's Caprice steelies with 4" backspacing I think. I ran Western Chassis 2" drop spindles with trimmed lower controls arms & never had an issue.

I now have a '97 Tahoe with DJM 2" drop spindles. I bought 15" Wheel Vintiques smoothie wheels & did custom 4.5" backspacing. Once I trimmed the lower control arms, no issues with them either. However, I did have to grind down my calipers a bit to prevent rubbing, because I got a little too much backspacing.

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote