The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
ChevyDude

Stereo System Help...from you rockers out there... Sub Woofer question too!!!

Well we all know if there is a will there is a way, and I have been trying to figure out my stereo system and need some advise from some of you whom have done "your" system. I have not put a nice system in a car or truck for some years now and want a fairly nice rockin unit. It doesn't have to be the best, but I would like it to be nice. I am going to use a Pioneer DEH-P85DHR (I already have it and by itself it is 45wx4) to build around. It has all the Sub adding plugs and two amp pre outs so it seems as though it will be fine. I just bought a Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 / 6.5" Component set that comes with their nice 6.5" pair and 1" tweets and also a pair of Kappa 6x9's for behind the cab in the corners. I will build some fiberglass kick panels for 6.5's and also for the 6x9's. Here is the question: Which amp should I add??? Legacy, Infinity, MTX, Pyle, Fosgate any other and what wattage??? Next should I get some Infinity Perfect 10's??? What subs and how many...one or two. What size 10", 12" ??? I'm thinking the sub or subs will fit between my bucket seats where the gas tank was. Any help from the Rockin' audiophiles is totally appreciated!!! Do I want a 2 ohm or a 4 ohm sub?

Alex

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4

Last edited by ChevyDude; 11-19-2004 at 11:01 PM.
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
724wdcopper
graphic designer

i had a Phoenix Gold XS2300 and loved it. it ran my Kicker Solobaric 8" very well. had a friend with the same amp that ran a 10" JL Audio 10W6. it rocked pretty hard in a late 70s Cutlass. whatever you do, i advise sticking to better known brands, like kicker, fosgate, sony, pioneer, you get the idea. just anything but the crap they sell at napa and aw-shucks. You can probably get by with 200-400 watts on your amp. with the right size box, you dont have to give your subs a huge amount of power to make them rock. i would think spending about $200-$400 would get you a great amp with plenty of power and all the cooling fans, fins, blah blah... sure, you can get them cheaper, but longevity behind or under a seat with no airflow can be an issue. they do heat up pretty quickly, and get pretty hot.

all that being said, i put a $80 pioneer closeout and two fosgate 8" (2 for $50) in my wife's Frod Ranger in a ported box, and it will kick out some tunes, running through the stock head and line level imputs, not RCA preouts like on your deck. check the sales at local stereo shops and crutchfield.com there are good deals out there!

good luck
724wdcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 06:02 PM   #3
70short

Talking Booooom Booooom

When I get my tank out very soon (I have all the parts just trying to find the time). I will be installing my stereo equipment I had in my Touota 4X4 that had A bed box. components as follows: Pheonix gold AMPS M-50 & M-25. A Pheonix Gold signal processor AX-204A with A remote SUB AMP gain control knob. 3 ea MTX thunder 5000 10" SUB woofers in 1.5 cu in. box's each tuned ported. MBQuart 4" drivers. I am purchasing POLK AUDIO db6500 6 1/2" components including tweeters. My reciever I am getting is the JVC ARSENAL KD-AR3000 sirius ready. I am fixing to Rock Hard.

Gary
Weiand Stealth Intake
HEI
shorty Headers
4/2 Drop
295 50R 15 TOYO on 10 inch wide corvette rally rims at all 4 corners.
"CHEVY RULES"
70short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 06:29 PM   #4
GreyHoundSteve

It sounds like youve made some pretty good choices already and while im not into mobile audio nearly as much as i use to be back a few years ago i had Precision Power amps running my 3 jl audio 8" w6's and it bumped and not the kind of rattly buzz either, im talking about the kind that hit you like a punch, rattled your fillings, gave you a hardon and left you feelin scared to crank it up again. Now im a rocker so all that bass wasnt utilized too often but it was still nice to WOW the passenger when i wanted to.

I would go with precision power, alpine or phoenix gold for an amplifier and jl audio w6's for subs. Im sure jl makes a better sub by now but my old w6's out performed any of my prevous subs by far and i couldnt have been more pleased with them. Just for reference the different sub combo's ive had have been: 4 10" cerwin vegas, 2 10" fosgate punch subs, 1 12" kicker solobaric, 2 mtx 10" (cant remember the series but it was their best), and 3 jl audio 8" w6's in a micro box and the little jl's BLEW the rest away and were compact and clean looking.

Im in the process of putting my trucks system together now and there isnt a whole lotta room behind the seat and so i would definately consider buying smaller high quality subs over large budget brands. Even some good brands like Fosgate, alpine, infinity and mtx make some pretty crappy subs so be careful what "line" your buying because you cant always trust the budget line even by quality brands. In car audio..... you usually get what you pay for.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:57 PM   #5
ChevyDude

Thanks Guys....Do I want a 2 ohm or 4 ohm sub. Thinking about getting two PHOENIX GOLD XENON X10D4 or X10D2 10's" along with a Phoenix Gold OCTANE R9.0:5 5 Channel Amplifier....Can I make these fit in my 71' cab???

Last edited by ChevyDude; 11-19-2004 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:22 AM   #6
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Alex, I have a 4 channel Kicker Impulse IX-704 I would sell for $150. It's never been out of the box. PM me if interested.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 03:48 AM   #7
1BAD69

Overkill?????

DON'T GO CRAZY . IT DOSN'T TAKE MUCH TO MAKE AN OLD TRUCK ROCK & ROCK HARD I HAVE GONE OVER KILL WITH A CAB THAT IS GAS TANK ELITE NOW I AM LOOKING FOR TUNERS TO BRING THE SOUND BACK IN . I HAVE WENT OVERKILL ALLREADY SO DON'T BE A VICTIM BE SMART ? YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING BY ASKING QUESTIONS SO STICK WITH THAT EVERYONE ON THE BOARD ALLREADY KNOWS THE PAINS SO JUST ASK AND LISTEN YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPPOINTED ROCK ON
Old 11-20-2004, 06:01 PM   #8
ChevyDude

Thanks again guys....I think I know what I'm doing now. I have consulted the stereo gurus and you guys and a plan has been drawn. Gonna pass on the Kicker amp 70c10, thank you though for the offer.