The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2003, 07:10 PM   #1
Green72GMC

Argh more electrical trouble

Ok I think it all started when I unwired my starter from my button and put it to the key. (Used to when I would turn the key to start it the light in the dash would come on that said "BRAKE" in Red) But I blow a few fuses when I do it and then my Gauge lights or fuel gauge dont work. Ok so I go get more fuses and then plug them in today and bam, the Brake light comes on when key is in on and my 4 headlights come on when my key is on even if my lights are off. Oh yea and I dont think my alternator is charging now because I just had to get jumpstarted by my friend when I went to the gas station. I wish the last owner would have did the electrical right and didnt half ass it.

Here is how I undid his halfass, from the button, I took the wire from the battery and spliced it to the red, took the wire from the starter and spliced it to the purple.

Anyone have any fricken idea why my headlights and the brake light is on when The key is in the on position, And the alternator not charging?

The Second Amendment is in place incase they ignore the
others.

Last edited by Green72GMC; 04-26-2003 at 07:18 PM.
Green72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 03:34 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

interesting...
TTT
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 07:28 PM   #3
67sss

Headlights: the first thing I would do is unplug the wires to the light switch. this would tell you if someone has wired the liights wrong.then try the light switch itself.then the extra hot wire on the pos. side of the battery that goes to the inside of the fender. it sounds like someone has bypassed the swithed loop in the light system.
brake light: unplug the little brown wire on the prop. valve.
something else i would check is the plug on the back of your guage cluster, it shoulds like who ever had this before you did some #^(*U^%$ riggin. when doing electrical the best thing to remember is: ELIMINATE THE OBVIUOS. hope this helps,
67sss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 12:19 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The brake light is supposed to come on when cranking...but not just with the ignition swicth being on though.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:09 PM   #5
Green72GMC

I dunno what the freak is wrong with it. Now they don't come on. I think my truck is haunted or something lol. Na I just think I may have two bare wires touching somewhere on something shorting out. BTW, can someone tell me where each ignition wire is REALLY supposed to go?

The Second Amendment is in place incase they ignore the
others.
Green72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote