The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
Ian71GMC

Exclamation POR-15 Opinions

In about three weeks from now, I'll be taking off my piece of junk 8ft fleetside bed to swap it for a flat bed. The flat bed is currently my uncle's, but he doesn't want it anymore, so he's giving it to me. You can't pass up free stuff. But before the flat bed goes on, I need to take care of my frame. So, I plan on grinding off all the rust and painting it. I don't have the money at the time to have it powder coated, so my question is: how have your experiences with POR-15 gone? Time, effort, application, and results? I've heard it's best to paint it on like painting a wall, but I want some opinions on it. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Ian71GMC

Re: POR-15 Opinions

Or maybe some other options, such as Rustoleum, etc.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
Davidf

If you are not going to media blast the frame, epoxy prime, and conventional paint, then POR-15 is a very good alternative. Get as much of the dirt and loose rust off as you can prior to painting. Most apply POR-15 with a brush. It tends to flow out well and look decent.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

I have done 2 frames with it using a brush and it dried as smooth as glass. No brush marks what so ever.

It also goes farther if you brush it. I did my frame with less than a quart. (one coat) After the fact, I recommend 2 coats.

I think this is a good product but I think the jury is still out on the longevity. One of my questions is whether rust will start creeping under it around the bolt holes and areas where you can't get full coverage with it.

I have to spend a little time here on my observations of the POR15 product. First off if you have never used it and you are thinking about it I can't stress enough to read ALL of the instructions, TWICE. Being old school I have to learn all lessons the hard way. Two important points, #1- Wear some "good" rubber or latex gloves. (don't wear the ones you got from your buddy over at the ambulance barn, or that cute nurse at the hospital, they aren't heavy enough) If you don't wear gloves when you apply it you can wear them three weeks later when you go to Uncle Harry's funeral, to cover the POR15 that's STILL on your hands. #2- If your bestest buddy Paul, (you know the one that's always pulling your leg about something) tells you to put a piece of Saran Wrap between the lid and the can after you have used some out of it don't say "yeah, right". Do it! Otherwise you'll end up having to cut the center out of the lid with tin snips and pour what's left in the can into a jar. If there is any paint residue around the lip of the can and it sets a week or two you will NOT be able to get the lid off of the can, period! Oh, and another thing, if you wear coveralls to protect your best pair of pants and you drip the paint onto the coveralls they will now be your second best pair of pants. You will not be able to wipe the drip off before it soaks through to your good pants.

I almost forgot.... If you get it on any threads that you have to get a nut or bolt on/off of plan on using a tap, die, or thread chaser to clean the threads up first.

Oh, and still one more thing, be sure and put two coats on it if you are not going to top coat it.

Hope this helps.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
leddzepp

I've used it for years, no complaints. Follow instructions and wear a respirator (not a dust mask).

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
The1960APE

I have used traditional paint, powder coat and POR-15 on frames, my current project (1961 Apache) is under the knife right now and I am using POR-15, I needle gunned the frame and brushed POR-15, I have to say it looks really nice, no brush marks, and seems to be a very durable coating, much stronger than regular paint! I like the fact that it can easily be touched up...
The1960APE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
DarkFlounder

What about using POR-15 on chassis parts, like axles?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Davidf

Absolutely use it on axles, control arms, springs, rods, you name it. Works just as well. And, it is a rust encapsulator which means you paint it right over rust to seal the moisture/oxygen from the rust and thus stopping it from spreading. Paint Over Rust-15
Old 10-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
mmiddle

READ LOCKDOC'S POST 3 TIMES!!!!!!
Seriously! Everything he said is spot on. EVERYTHING

I love POR-15
Go ahead a buy the POR-15 Marine Clean and rust converter as well. After you use it you will not care about powder coating the frame and undercarriage anymore.
PS, if you ignore the part about cling wrap around the lid then go to Home Depot and buy a stock of 1 gallon empty paint cans. You will need them each time you use some and have to cut the lid off the can.
The stuff dries hard as a rock and does NOT come off your skin or clothes. Trust us in this!

Mark
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
HeavyD

Do you guys feel it has a slightly milky appearance? A saw a freshly done frame in a garage, and it didnt seem as black as say plain semi gloss black paint does. This is my only concern, although i see a por15 topcoat for sale.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #11
brimc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I have done 2 frames with it using a brush and it dried as smooth as glass. No brush marks what so ever.

It also goes farther if you brush it. I did my frame with less than a quart. (one coat) After the fact, I recommend 2 coats.

I think this is a good product but I think the jury is still out on the longevity. One of my questions is whether rust will start creeping under it around the bolt holes and areas where you can't get full coverage with it.

I have to spend a little time here on my observations of the POR15 product. First off if you have never used it and you are thinking about it I can't stress enough to read ALL of the instructions, TWICE. Being old school I have to learn all lessons the hard way. Two important points, #1- Wear some "good" rubber or latex gloves. (don't wear the ones you got from your buddy over at the ambulance barn, or that cute nurse at the hospital, they aren't heavy enough) If you don't wear gloves when you apply it you can wear them three weeks later when you go to Uncle Harry's funeral, to cover the POR15 that's STILL on your hands. #2- If your bestest buddy Paul, (you know the one that's always pulling your leg about something) tells you to put a piece of Saran Wrap between the lid and the can after you have used some out of it don't say "yeah, right". Do it! Otherwise you'll end up having to cut the center out of the lid with tin snips and pour what's left in the can into a jar. If there is any paint residue around the lip of the can and it sets a week or two you will NOT be able to get the lid off of the can, period! Oh, and another thing, if you wear coveralls to protect your best pair of pants and you drip the paint onto the coveralls they will now be your second best pair of pants. You will not be able to wipe the drip off before it soaks through to your good pants.

I almost forgot.... If you get it on any threads that you have to get a nut or bolt on/off of plan on using a tap, die, or thread chaser to clean the threads up first.

Oh, and still one more thing, be sure and put two coats on it if you are not going to top coat it.

Hope this helps.....

LockDoc

What he said X2
It is thin. You need two coats minimum. It is much more work and time consuming but worth it in the end IMO.

1986 Chevrolet K20 Silverado 12 Valve CUMMINS P Pumped Intercooled/Getrag360/Divorced NP205/10B/14BFF Detroit Locker - DD Canadian Winter Beater.

My Chevrolet CUMMINS Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=585509
brimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #12
raggedjim

Just to add, I painted with a brush the frame on a 64 chevy truck with POR 20 years ago. My cousin bought it and still owns it. I checked it out last year and the only place that didn't stay coated was a place I had wire brushed to a smooth surface. POR likes rough surfaces to adhere well, if the surface is too smooth, it will eventually flake off.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #13
WarMonger

great info in this thread. I'm getting ready to do the frame and suspension parts on the 72 Blazer
1970 C20
-_--_--_- ______
_--_--_- /___|__\____
-_--_-_ |_(0)|__|_(0)]
1972 K5
WarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #14
leddzepp

Buy it in the small cans, use it once and throw away the can. No need to dicker around with Saran Wrap or worry about the unused portion hardening.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #15
bigmac73

I POR'ed my frame, I by the 6 pack of the mini cans , because once you open it, it will not last long, so best to use small cans at a time , also you need to use a top coat it with something to protect it from UV rays if it is out in the sun, I used the sponge brushes ( I bought a bag from harbor freight on the cheap)
remember once it is on you , it takes forever to come off
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #16
cdowns

I prefer leaving the lid on the paint can and I drill a couple of 1/8 hholes one to pour and one for a vent and pur a small amt into a can to use then seal it up with self tapping screws after a few uses you'll need to rotate the holes cause you wont b able to get the self tappers out but that way the stuff don't get air into it and spoil
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #17
RustyBucket

IT'S GOOD STUFF.
Buy small cans and punch or drill 2 small diameter holes on opposite sides of the lid. Pour out what you need through the hole then take two short fat sheetmetal screws with philips heads and screw 'em tightly into the lid. Tighten them carefully and don't strip the "threads" in the lid and you can keep and use it for years. Open and close as much as you want. Don't want to waste it, it's not cheap.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #18
EARNHARDT#3

Aluminum foil between the lid and can when closing it seems to work great.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #19
dfwright

A few observations from my use of POR-15. Used gloss black on the frame, satin black on the underside of the cab. The gloss black is nice. The satin black I was not pleased with the final finish.

Once you open the can, the clock starts running on you. You can't store the stuff for very long after the can is opened, but I have taken others advice, and stored the can in the freezer, after use, and it did seem to last a little longer. I wish I had done the drilling-the-lid-and-using-screws trick myself. Even with saran wrap under the lid, sometimes they are on for good!

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #20
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I've read spraying POR-15 can be a death sentence. Brush/sponge on.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #21
Davidf

Not harmful if a proper respirator is used. Spraying catalyzed automotive paint is just as hazardous, if not more so (arguably). you don't want that "super glue" catalyst hardening in your lungs.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #22
tucker69

I have been using POR for years...if installed correctly it is the closest thing to powdercoating. I like to roll mine on with foam roller...there are several techniques to application that help in the outcome of your project. keep in mind por actually adheres to rust better than it does to cleaned metal. something to do with the chemical reaction..anyway, I like por and it works great with a harded than paint finish...in my opinion.
tucker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #23
Redline novdog

good stuff/nasty stuff. Works good on anything it comes in contact with skin/garage floor/paint.Works good though. I've used it several times,make sure the surface is clean of grease/dirt/dust
Thanks for the tip on the drill and plug on the can guys.I'll try it next time!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #24
GRX

All great advice above. Would only add one thing. Do use the Marine Clean and Metal Prep as the instructions say or the POR-15 will not last.

POR-15 application page:
.. http://por15bc.com/por-15.htm
Old 10-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #25
special-K
Special Order

My opinion on POR-15 is Masterseries is better. Check into that and see what you think. I've used both.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote