The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #26
Matt_50

Re: V8 swap in AD

thanks, that would be great.

Last edited by Matt_50; 11-14-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Matt_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #27
Matt_50

Ok, ive ordered the bolt kit for all the front sheetmetal. Now im looking at radiators.

What have you guys used?

What can I use and not use?

I'm not trying to go to cheap, but there is a budget to consider lol. Is the 150 dollar range doable for a decent radiator for this truck and setup?
Old 11-15-2017, 10:58 PM   #28
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Some guys use original-style rads, some use '65 Mustang rads and some use the aftermarket 19x22 crossflow triple-pass aluminum universal radiators from Summit, Jegs et al.

Last edited by Jesse Z; 11-16-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #29
Matt_50

Ok, this may be a stupid question. Is there a certain type of radiator I need? I mean auto and manual trans don't require anything different or special just because it's a auto or manual right?

What's the best option for my combo that can fit?
Old 11-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #30
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
Ok, this may be a stupid question. Is there a certain type of radiator I need? I mean auto and manual trans don't require anything different or special just because it's a auto or manual right?

What's the best option for my combo that can fit?

Auto trans radiators have integral trans coolers and plumbing connections in the bottom - convenient, but not necessary if you run a separate trans cooler.

I see as many radiator systems as trucks. I have used the universal fit and the OEM style. The easiest choice would be an original-fit radiator if you have the room up front - they do mount BEHIND the core support so take up more engine bay space. A universal-fit (take measurements to order the size you need) would be cheaper but would require minimal effort to devise a mounting system - simple enough (see photo):
Attached Images

Last edited by Jesse Z; 11-17-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #31
Matt_50

Ok, cool. So if I get one without a built in trans cooler.. any particular size I should get for a trans cooler? And, I'm not sure if it makes a difference. But when it comes to adequate cooling...and in such a small space.. I will also need a A/C condenser. Can all three squeeze behind that little grill and everything gets cooled off enough?
Old 11-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #32
Matt_50

I just check my order. Looks like I should get a front sheetmetal hardware tomorrow. I'll put things together and double Check all my clearances while I can still easily move stuff around. I'll post some pics and make sure I've got my measurements right.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #33
Matt_50

I need some advice here. Monday I'm gonna pull engine and trans one more time to finish welding mounts up now that I have it all set. I was going off of distributor to firewall clearance. It's pretty close, see pics. But I thought I'd put radiator support in place. There no room for radiator. Tell me what y'all think will fix this. Smaller water pump for starters maybe. What about my fan?
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #34
Matt_50

Couple more pics. I have 4 inches from outer edge of harmonic balancer pulley yo edge of radiator support. What about smaller pulleys? Serpentine belt system instead of like 4 belts maybe?
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #35
dsraven

you could install a shorty water pump and serpentine system but be aware that some of those serpentine systems run the water pump backwards so try to get a complete set. then delete the belt driven fan and use an electric fan instead with a thermostat switch. for more room you can install the rad in front of the support. not sure what you have for power or stall speed on the torque converter but a trans shop should be able to advise on the remote trans cooler size required. try to get one that is a stacked plate design. you could install that along the frame somewhere and duct air to it and/or run a fan on it with a thermostat switch in the cooler line and a temp guage to keep track of things. you could even set it up so an indicator light comes on when the temp gets high or when the fan runs, that way you know how often things are running so you can determine whether your set up is good or needs a tweak. you will want to know what style of belt you end up with before purchasing an a/c compressor.
also, just noticing by the pic, you pulley seems awfull close top that cross member. is that just the pic and you do have adequate clearance? you can always notch the cross member or build a new one with enough wiggle room.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #36
dsraven

a blurb on trans coolers

http://transmissionrepairguy.com/transmission-cooler/

blurb on mounting ideas and air flow etc

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoAutoCooler.htm

some ideas on how a remote frame mounted cooler and fan would look

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-exte.../dp/B00WRIA1Q6

another blurb on cooler types and how they work

https://www.transmissionrepaircostgu...ission-cooler/

when I used to build rail buggies I would always install a large light on the dash that was connected to a low oil pressure switch. you could do the same only use a temp switch instead. wire it temporarily until you get a baseline established for driving style, hot days, heavy loads etc. then remove it or install a more discreet warning system once you get the system dialed in.

remember that if you use an electric fan to cool the engine you may need to also wire the fan to run when the a/c is on. a 2 fan system may be beneficial in that case. a/c is going to drop some more heat into the rad area and a trans cooler will also add heat. that is why I mentioned the frame mounted trans cooler.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #37
Matt_50

There's room to put a radiator in front of the support? My front end wasn't completely together when I got it. Yes it's close to crossmember. I set the engine crossmember down in the frame after I got trans supported. Didn't want to leave on hoist. Monday we can plan to pull it again and clean off the galvanized layer on the metal so we can fully weld it in.. we will raise it up a tad.

So I shouldn't have a problem putting a radiator in? I can't really get much closer to firewall.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:38 PM   #38
dsraven

I think if you peruse through some builds here you will likely find the rad is on the front side of the support or possibly on the rear side of the front flange of the support (so like between the rails of the u shaped channel but mounted to the front flange of the channel), if that makes sense?
just to go back a bit on the engine clearance issue, the cross member is just sitting in there or the engine is just sitting in there? when you get all done the engine should be at about 3 deg down at the rear and the rear axle pinion should be up about the same. all depending on the suspension type and final use for the truck. a full on drag car may need some downward angle on the pinion to compensate for spring windup on aceeleration. maybe a search would be in order for you to figure out what you need there for you end use/purpose.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:31 PM   #39
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Just replacing that humongous factory clutch fan with an aftermarket flex fan that bolts right to front of the pulley will give you 3 inches more room.

And will you really need all those pulleys? A couple more inches could be gained there.

Last edited by Jesse Z; 11-26-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:58 PM   #40
Matt_50

I didn't want to permanently weld the universal crossmember in until I brought front end down. Even with engine in it needs to come down a couple of inches. Couple rack welds are on crossmember to frame and when I put the trans crossmember in I removed the hoist so it wouldn't be left out. I can raise the engine up a bit before final weld. I was to paranoid about clearances and what angles to have.

You guys have been a great help. I'll have it at level at carb and 3 degrees down at trans permanently and all done Monday. I'll have the front lowered a bit by then I wasn't sure if lowering only a little would mess those angles off so I was to paranoid to finish without lowering.

I'm probably over thinking a lot but maybe all my questions will help others who might read this.

So I have options for radiator? I don't need to do anything drastic?
Old 11-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #41
Matt_50

I got the engine crossmember properly welded up in the rails today. It can rotate inside of the rail mounts, but there is plenty of room to weld that up with engine in. I meant to get it all done plus the suspension lowered but I had others things come up.

I measured like crazy to make sure it was even and good. Maybe my measurements can help others, I'll post them in a bit. Got engine a tad higher than it was, plenty of room now for the belts.

I marked it and measured before final weld and remeasured after first tacks. It's nice and even and level. If it'll help anyone I can show more pics and explain my crossmember measurements better.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #42
Matt_50

It's been cold so I have been mostly on the computer last couple of days. Here's what I'm thinking I need to do.

1st. I think I need to swap out for a flex fan. I can bolt directly to pulley right? Im hoping this will solve my radiator clearance problem.

2nd. I need some measurements. With a stock radiator installed... how far back is it?
I read through gigamanxs thread and saw he put his inside the support... how much past support would something like that go?

My hope is that the only thing I nerd to change is the fan..
Old 01-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #43
mr48chev

Yep swapping out for a flex fan or fan that doesn't run the fan clutch. Just don't get one of those thin tapered blade "racing" fans though as they don't pull enough air even though they fit in close spaces.

Personally I would prefer a good 4 or 5 blade fan that came off a production rig rather than the aftermarket stainless or fiberglass flex fans. That might be hard to find in the diameter you need though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 01-17-2018 at 02:08 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #44
mr48chev

Just thinking you might have get creative on the lower hose routing. That is one issue I have to solve on my truck when it goes back together as the lower hose location demands too small of a diameter fan as it sits now.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #45
dsraven

a shorty water pump and only the amount of pulleys you require may help with the rad hose thing, also, you can get some muffler pipe bent to the shape you need to go around the fan etc and then connect each end with a short piece of hose. the pipe can be swaged (sp?) out for larger connection on one end if required. epoxy prime the inside of the pipe so it doesn't just get everything rusty inside the system.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #46
Matt_50

What diameter of fan would y'all recommend? When I Google flexfans... I'm not sure what is good or not. Mr48, where would I find a blade like you suggest? I'm thinking I may need to order one though, but there are so many options I'm not sure what to get.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #47
Matt_50

Dsraven, I was thinking I could shorten things with different pulleys too. I'm a bit of a noon on this so I'm not sure what to look for. Are there smaller pulleys that will let me keep current pulleys on my accessories or do I need a whole new system.

I was thinking that the fan would maybe be my cheaper route.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #48
mr48chev

I'm beginning to think the Odessa you state as home isn't Odessa Texas. That may limit the possible American Vehicle sources.

GM basically has two bolt patterns on their water pumps to bolt the pulleys and fan on. most of the older rigs had a pattern that is slightly smaller than later ones.

At the same time some fans from other vehicles will bolt on so that might help the hunt.
The main thing is enough blade surface to pull enough air and the correct diameter along with the proper rotation.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #49
Matt_50

No I live in Texas. I'm just being honest on how little I know. The bulk of my "mechanic" skills is swap this out for that...

flex fans vs clutch... never thought about it before.

What size radiator and or type.. I was always told..

Making modifications... I've only ever done with instructions.

With this truck build, I'm spending a lot of time on researching stuff before I do anything. I get the basics and I get advice and I go from there.

I know you guys probably hate noob questions but I like the advice along with the stuff I find as I go. Makes me not feel so blind.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #50
Matt_50

And when I said I might need to order a fan, my local yards have mostly trashed 95 and older and what they charge I might as well buy new. I've gotten lucky on a few things so far... a guy knows a guy kinda thing... hoping I can keep it up.