The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #1351
Low Elco

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Been slingin' like crazy the last couple days myself. Tryin to get the sidies in before I gotta shut down for the winter. Nice thing about SS, it's like Bondo, just kick in a little more hardener when it's cold. Your stuff looks great, can't wait to see some color (in the spring)!

Please let me know about that gun mod- I'd do one if it works for you.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #1352
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Looks great for a rough-in! Block away friend, just block away. Been awful quiet on all my subs. Glad to see you still on the trail.
Still slogging away, John. Like molasses in January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
Good Job Vic... I am going tomorrow to visit Class Act... They are at least making forward progress... We dropped 30 degrees here in Winfield from 5:00 to 6:30
Hey, Dan, hope you have good news to report after your visit. It didn't take long to cool off here either. Kathy had the window in the front room open and around 7pm I noticed the door rattling a little and went to investigate. Felt like a walk-in cooler in there. Still not above freezing this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Been slingin' like crazy the last couple days myself. Tryin to get the sidies in before I gotta shut down for the winter. Nice thing about SS, it's like Bondo, just kick in a little more hardener when it's cold. Your stuff looks great, can't wait to see some color (in the spring)!

Please let me know about that gun mod- I'd do one if it works for you.
Will do, Chip. I've been doing a few side projects myself which (thankfully) help to break up the boredom and let my fingers heal up.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #1353
Dean'smeanmachine

amazing work Vic. you are a great Example of a professional at work

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #1354
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean'smeanmachine View Post
amazing work Vic. you are a great Example of a professional at work
Thanks, Dean, although I think "stubborn" is a better description.

I've been homing in on the cab bodywork. After squirting the Slick Sand, I marked and filled all the little nasty places, blocked it down and prepped for 2K primer. I also dusted off the cowl and grille shell and did spot repairs to all the little dings. Went ahead and welded up the Chevy emblem holes in the grille shell, dollied and filed that area smooth.

It snowed just a little bit today and the outside temp has never gotten above freezing. I'd planned ahead last night and left the shop heater running, so after one last pass with the tack rag this morning, I shot the 2K primer on back of the cab, the roof, the cowl, the grille shell and a boo-boo fix on the bedside. Stinks pretty bad, but looks great. Drilling the fluid tip on my HF gun to 2.0mm made all the difference in the spray. Didn't have to thin the primer at all ...laid down nice wet passes like it should. Now I need to concentrate on finishing the door jambs and the doors themselves. Then it will be time to mount the cab and bed on the frame and assemble the front clip. The moment of truth will be upon us at that point.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #1355
Low Elco

Me Likey! Got some work comin' on those doors!
Old 11-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #1356
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Me Likey! Got some work comin' on those doors!
Yeah, the doors are pretty rude, but they fit the opening fairly well which is more than you can say for most (all?) the reproductions.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #1357
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Thanks, Dean, although I think "stubborn" is a better description.

I've been homing in on the cab bodywork. After squirting the Slick Sand, I marked and filled all the little nasty places, blocked it down and prepped for 2K primer. I also dusted off the cowl and grille shell and did spot repairs to all the little dings. Went ahead and welded up the Chevy emblem holes in the grille shell, dollied and filed that area smooth.

It snowed just a little bit today and the outside temp has never gotten above freezing. I'd planned ahead last night and left the shop heater running, so after one last pass with the tack rag this morning, I shot the 2K primer on back of the cab, the roof, the cowl, the grille shell and a boo-boo fix on the bedside. Stinks pretty bad, but looks great. Drilling the fluid tip on my HF gun to 2.0mm made all the difference in the spray. Didn't have to thin the primer at all ...laid down nice wet passes like it should. Now I need to concentrate on finishing the door jambs and the doors themselves. Then it will be time to mount the cab and bed on the frame and assemble the front clip. The moment of truth will be upon us at that point.

Man Vic... That is really coming along...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #1358
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Yeah, the doors are pretty rude, but they fit the opening fairly well which is more than you can say for most (all?) the reproductions.
No Comment, BTDT!
Old 11-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #1359
Xeen

Oh yeah you can see the light at the end of a long dark tunnel tunnel.
Most people are scared of anything that is in as bad of shape as that one was when you got it but not you man you kicked it's arse.
Truly transformative work you can write this one up as a resurrection cuz it was DOA.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #1360
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Kudos Vic!
I wish I were that far along, I'm blessed to have the job I have, but I'd sure like some time to work on my truck, instead, i'm filling my days here at the plant...... guess it will be spring before I get any paint work done, just too cold to do anything right now.....I'd sure like to get the epoxy on the bare metal before I see rust appear....
great progress you have made!
Take care!
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #1361
Low Elco

Ben, if you have any kind of garage, I heat it up with whatever kind of heater you can get while you prep, Epoxy needs a 30 min kick off time. Git 'er good and warm, kick the door open enough to get a fan under it, and shoot. Let it air out, fire up the heaters and close the door. Works great especially if you're priming. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #1362
snipescastle2

Chip (it is Chip,right?)
I tried using a propane heater, the wife and kids complained of the fumes, so doing this at my place probably won't happen. I'm looking at priming it at my Uncles place, if he will allow it. I'm sure he some reservations about over spray, masking,etc.....guess we will have to wait and see.
Thanks for the advice.
Ben
Old 11-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #1363
Low Elco

That's me- the salamanders are some fumey things for sure. I use the Mr heater types, only notice a thing when they've been on several hours. Love em. Good luck at your uncle's!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #1364
snipescastle2

Vic,
Just pulled the trigger on my rotating assembly, 383 stroker (Scat 6.0 rods) I opted for the better rods, 7/16" cap screws, more clearance especially for the lumpy Cam shaft Should be here Friday, then it's off to Clay County Engine rebuilders for Machine work! Yeah! My block is a standard bore, so .030" over, probably going to have them align hone the mains just to be sure. so, truckin' right along.....now to find a shop to primer my cab and other sheet metal and get this rolling!
Have a good one!
Ben
Old 11-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #1365
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
Vic,
Just pulled the trigger on my rotating assembly, 383 stroker (Scat 6.0 rods) I opted for the better rods, 7/16" cap screws, more clearance especially for the lumpy Cam shaft Should be here Friday, then it's off to Clay County Engine rebuilders for Machine work! Yeah! My block is a standard bore, so .030" over, probably going to have them align hone the mains just to be sure. so, truckin' right along.....now to find a shop to primer my cab and other sheet metal and get this rolling!
Have a good one!
Ben
Sounds great, Ben, ought to be a thumper! I'd only have the machine shop align hone if it really needs it, as is the case sometimes when you sleeve a block or upgrade to four bolt mains. Generally speaking it doesn't require it and often causes the timing chain to run a little loose ...even with modern methodology. I'm sure CCER can advise you on whether it's needed or not. Good luck and post some pics after the primer is laid down.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #1366
snipescastle2

Vic,
I talked to them this morning, they said they would do a check, and advise first. gonna have them balance everything, as well as do the stroker clearancing. I can handle the rest. ordered my 2200-2500 Rpm stall converter today as well, now If I can only get my brother in law to finish my 700R4....... he is supposedly bringing it with him for Thanksgiving..... we'll see.
Have a good one!
Ben
Old 11-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #1367
Low Elco

Woohoo! Congrats!
Old 11-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #1368
snipescastle2

Vic,
Any updates on your CRLS ?
Ben
Old 11-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #1369
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
Vic,
Any updates on your CRLS ?
Ben
Not much, Ben, just blocking the most recent coats of 2K primer. It's amazing the tiny little places that jump out during this process. Working filler and Slick Sand down only gets you about 50% of the way to a basecoat ready surface.

Last weekend, Mike Myers (texasld) dropped in on a visit from Dallas and showed me a photo of a slick wooden beam he built to pick up the cab with a cherry picker. After the bodywork is finished, I'm going to rig one up to drop the cab on the frame. Makes it a one or two man operation instead of a neighborhood deal.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #1370
snipescastle2

Vic,
That sounds very interesting, can you share the plans? glad you are making strides in the body work.
Have a good Day!
Ben
Old 11-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #1371
texasld

Vic, you are truly talented in your work my friend. I thank you for the hospitality this past weekend. (His wife made us lunch!) The truck is really awesome. The air ride setup location is super slick. This is going to be one H3!! of a truck. Thank you for the bodywork pointers too! Gave me some courage to get started in on.

I only have one picture of the cab lift piece. I got the ideas from here on the board. Here is a shot of it pulling LEON out of the Yoda! I'll try to shoot some more pictures if anyone is interested. I built mine out of some 2x10's I had laying around. 2x6's would work just fine. The entire cab isn't that heavy.

Name:  CabInBed.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  28.1 KB
2010 Harley Street Glide

Check Out My Build!: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617981
texasld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #1372
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasld View Post
I only have one picture of the cab lift piece. I got the ideas from here on the board. I'll try to shoot some more pictures if anyone is interested. I built mine out of some 2x10's I had laying around. 2x6's would work just fine. The entire cab isn't that heavy.
Thanks for the post, Mike. A picture's worth a thousand words!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #1373
Vic1947

Weekend Update: Bodywork on the cab shell is pretty much complete. Had to remove the doors to finish out the front door pillars, but all my lines and gaps are good. With the scribe and punch marks around the hinges, doors should go right back on after bodywork ...in theory. I wiped down the cab shell inside and out with warm soapy water and dried it with a clean towel. Then taped off next to the places needing seam sealer.

My products of choice for sealing pinch welds and etc. are 3M self leveling seam sealer, 3M sealing strips and an Oatey Fix-It Stick. I mainly use the fixit stick in places where I need a rock hard epoxy that stays put. For example, before mudding up the underside of each upper door jamb, I rolled out some lengths and worked them up into the drip rail pinch welds and so forth. Then after it set up, I used an air angle grinder with a 2" disc to grind it smooth. Makes a perfect base for the plastic filler and will resist cracking better than just filler alone. The self leveling sealer is runny to start with so it oozes down into the pinch welds for a better seal. After about 10 minutes, it's setting up, so if you need to trowel it, better work fast. The 3M sealing strips work best in those hard to get to places like down inside the cowl.

Tomorrow, the cab shell will get a final coat of 2K primer inside and out. Then I'm going to build the wood beam to pick it up with the cherry picker and set it down on the frame. And thus I'll reclaim some much needed floor space.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #1374
sduckworth13

Woo hoo! Nice work Vic! If I'm off tomorrow I can swing by and save you from having to build the cab lift.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #1375
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Woo hoo! Nice work Vic! If I'm off tomorrow I can swing by and save you from having to build the cab lift.
Thanks, Scott, but the cab will need to go on and off more than once, I'm sure. Last time, it took four hefty amigos lifting and Kathy directing traffic to set it in place. I figure Mike's wood contraption will make it an easy two man job. So I'll PM you when I'm ready and we'll work with your schedule.