The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
ChuckLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: richmond va
Posts: 263
Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Post your pics and part numbers on your brake kits or pieced together kits guys!

5x5 patterns and 12 bolt rears only.


Seems a tad difficult finding anything but 5x4.75 and 6 lug.
__________________
LS Swap build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722579
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
68Stepbed
Living The Dream
 
68Stepbed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sevierville,Tennessee
Posts: 5,347
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Front?
Rear?
What year truck?
__________________
Matt

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
ChuckLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: richmond va
Posts: 263
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
Front?
Rear?
What year truck?
69 c10. 12 bolt rear with 5x5 lug.
__________________
LS Swap build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722579
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW
 
BR3W CITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MKE WI
Posts: 7,084
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

I'm running the captain fab brackets w/ rebuilt d52's on my 12bolt rear with astro rotors. Front is 71 c10 HD discs with Wilwood d52s
__________________
'66 Short Step / SD Tuned / Big Cam LQ4 / Backhalfed /Built 4l80e / #REBUILDEVERYTHING

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
ChuckLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: richmond va
Posts: 263
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I'm running the captain fab brackets w/ rebuilt d52's on my 12bolt rear with astro rotors. Front is 71 c10 HD discs with Wilwood d52s

thank you for this info. I'll check into captain fab's stuff. i measured my axle and center bore and such and now i cant even find a place to research rotors by dimensions, lol.

my dimensions:
Lug pattern: 5"x5"
Tubing O.D. 2.940"
Axle flange bolt center-2-center top bolts 3.396"
Axle flange bolt center-2-center front bolts 2.656"
If i can just find 12 or 13" rotors that fit these dimensions then I can buy some/any calipers that have built-in mechanical emergency brake setup then simply fab it up, make a cardboard caliper bracket and transfer it to metal.
There is no reason why these $600 and $700 rear disc brake conversions should cost this much when you can buy the parts separately (if you have the dimensions) for $200 tops.
__________________
LS Swap build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722579
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
68Stepbed
Living The Dream
 
68Stepbed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sevierville,Tennessee
Posts: 5,347
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

I'm running the CaptainFab brackets also.

Link to the D52 kit. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=398352
__________________
Matt

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #7
ChuckLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: richmond va
Posts: 263
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
I'm running the CaptainFab brackets also.

Link to the D52 kit. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=398352
Nice! Yah I want that setup actually. I PMd him haven’t heard back yet but it sounds like he’s a busy dude! I must have a e-brake with my tr6060.
__________________
LS Swap build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722579
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW
 
BR3W CITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MKE WI
Posts: 7,084
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

He makes it all in addition to his job afaik so its literally just one dude building the parts by hand.

He also has a version of the d52 kit that uses a slight variation of the caliper with an e-brake. The astro/d52 combo uses front rotors out back, so no provision for ebrake built in.

There is another version that uses an eldorado caliper with an e-brake lever on it. I don't know if it uses the same rotor or something different.
__________________
'66 Short Step / SD Tuned / Big Cam LQ4 / Backhalfed /Built 4l80e / #REBUILDEVERYTHING

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #9
ChuckLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: richmond va
Posts: 263
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
He makes it all in addition to his job afaik so its literally just one dude building the parts by hand.

He also has a version of the d52 kit that uses a slight variation of the caliper with an e-brake. The astro/d52 combo uses front rotors out back, so no provision for ebrake built in.

There is another version that uses an eldorado caliper with an e-brake lever on it. I don't know if it uses the same rotor or something different.
Yes I read up on that and may go that route. What is the advantage of doing that and sourcing parts all over timbuktu and coming out around $600ish over just ordering the $600 cpp kit?
__________________
LS Swap build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722579
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
68Stepbed
Living The Dream
 
68Stepbed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sevierville,Tennessee
Posts: 5,347
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
Yes I read up on that and may go that route. What is the advantage of doing that and sourcing parts all over timbuktu and coming out around $600ish over just ordering the $600 cpp kit?
If you need an ebrake, I actually don't recommend this kit. Here's why: The only pliable ebrake option is the 70's ElDorado calipers, and the'yre not really known for dependability. They have a really funky torsion screw setup inside the piston that manually presses it to the rotor. This setup has been known to cause cavitation and pressure issues within the brake lines. I love my CaptainFab setup and the fact it was affordable, but my ebrake is a brick under the tire.

Before I recommend another rear disc setup, what is your front brake setup and what is the overall intended use of the truck?
__________________
Matt

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #11
ChuckLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: richmond va
Posts: 263
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
If you need an ebrake, I actually don't recommend this kit. Here's why: The only pliable ebrake option is the 70's ElDorado calipers, and the'yre not really known for dependability. They have a really funky torsion screw setup inside the piston that manually presses it to the rotor. This setup has been known to cause cavitation and pressure issues within the brake lines. I love my CaptainFab setup and the fact it was affordable, but my ebrake is a brick under the tire.

Before I recommend another rear disc setup, what is your front brake setup and what is the overall intended use of the truck?
It's just a street truck. In my perfect world there would be an easy way to bolt up some big CTSV calipers but unfortunately that's not happening. Those look so rad!
Front brakes are single piston disc setup bolted onto my 2.5" drop Mcgaughy spindles.
__________________
LS Swap build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722579
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
Macdaddy1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Niceville Florida
Posts: 306
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

I am in the middle of the conversion right now. After calculating all of the different combinations of Captainfab's brackets, rotors and calipers I decided it was cheaper to purchase a complete set up fro auto city classic. I love Captainfab's stuff as I have his brake booster bracket but by the time you outsource all of the parts and pay shipping it is more expensive. Also if there is a problem you have many sources to hunt down instead of one call. For the rears went with:

Motive Gear axles (5x5) with new bearings ,seals, wheel studs $207
auto city classic rear disc brake (e brake) 85 eldorado with bracket and all other parts $440
auto city classic front disc brakes 71 c10 with all parts, bearings etc. $540

I hope to have these installed in the next few weeks and will take pics when I am done.
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
ChuckLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: richmond va
Posts: 263
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

I have a question.......my stock 6-lug axles were converted to 5x5 lug pattern (old holes welded up, new holes drilled). That means my center bore diameter is 3.10". Is it true that the actual 5x5 GM axles had a 3.55 center bore? If so, Does this mean that when I'm shopping around and a company advertises a whole brake kit for a 5x5 pattern that the center bore will be 3.55 on the rotor?
__________________
LS Swap build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722579
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #14
ChuckLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: richmond va
Posts: 263
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdaddy1 View Post
I am in the middle of the conversion right now. After calculating all of the different combinations of Captainfab's brackets, rotors and calipers I decided it was cheaper to purchase a complete set up fro auto city classic. I love Captainfab's stuff as I have his brake booster bracket but by the time you outsource all of the parts and pay shipping it is more expensive. Also if there is a problem you have many sources to hunt down instead of one call. For the rears went with:

Motive Gear axles (5x5) with new bearings ,seals, wheel studs $207
auto city classic rear disc brake (e brake) 85 eldorado with bracket and all other parts $440
auto city classic front disc brakes 71 c10 with all parts, bearings etc. $540

I hope to have these installed in the next few weeks and will take pics when I am done.
I'll be looking into Auto City Classics. Sounds a familiar n ame, i think I've already looked into them.
__________________
LS Swap build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722579
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #15
jjzepplin
Senior Member
 
jjzepplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Riverview Florida
Posts: 3,760
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
He makes it all in addition to his job afaik so its literally just one dude building the parts by hand.

He also has a version of the d52 kit that uses a slight variation of the caliper with an e-brake. The astro/d52 combo uses front rotors out back, so no provision for ebrake built in.

There is another version that uses an eldorado caliper with an e-brake lever on it. I don't know if it uses the same rotor or something different.
DO the d52s fit right on stock spindles? I have 73 HD 1.25"
__________________
70 swb 4x4 406sbc 700r4 203/205 d60/14blt locker yadda yadda http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...88#post6935688
72 Blazer 2wd conversion project "No Daggum Money" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550804 3.73 posi-4-speed Saginaw-307-no budget build.
58 Belair http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756563
99 Trans Am Donor?http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=771213
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #16
Tork?
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 189
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
It's just a street truck. In my perfect world there would be an easy way to bolt up some big CTSV calipers but unfortunately that's not happening. Those look so rad!
Front brakes are single piston disc setup bolted onto my 2.5" drop Mcgaughy spindles.
There is an eBay seller with brackets to run 5th gen Camaro/CtsV front and rear rotors and calipers. Search lt4xtreme. Rears are $150. Not sure about ebrake though.

“Conversion kit to mount 2010-up th 5th gen Camaro rear disc brake rotor 14.3" and 4-piston Brembo caliper on a Chevy TRUCK GM 10 or 12 bolt axle housing ends and a 2.42" axle housing flange to axle wheel mounting surface.
Kit includes:
2 adapter brackets
8 bracket bolts
4 caliper abutment to bracket bolts
Free shipping”
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #17
ChuckLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: richmond va
Posts: 263
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork? View Post
There is an eBay seller with brackets to run 5th gen Camaro/CtsV front and rear rotors and calipers. Search lt4xtreme. Rears are $150. Not sure about ebrake though.

“Conversion kit to mount 2010-up th 5th gen Camaro rear disc brake rotor 14.3" and 4-piston Brembo caliper on a Chevy TRUCK GM 10 or 12 bolt axle housing ends and a 2.42" axle housing flange to axle wheel mounting surface.
Kit includes:
2 adapter brackets
8 bracket bolts
4 caliper abutment to bracket bolts
Free shipping”
This seems promising, just can't find it! I'm guessing my problem there will be lug pattern (i'm 5x5)
__________________
LS Swap build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722579
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #18
Tork?
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 189
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
This seems promising, just can't find it! I'm guessing my problem there will be lug pattern (i'm 5x5)
Looks like the seller is marked as "away" until Jan 22 so his listings are probably deactivated until then. I have them in my watch list so i took screenshots and here's the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-TRUCK...n/292380938167.
Attached Images
 
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #19
ChuckLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: richmond va
Posts: 263
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

well you stumbled on a little secret now didn't ya! Thank you, I hope to hear from him very soon as I'm itching to buy. It will be this guy or wilwood setup with dual pistons front/back and nice shoe-style e-brake setup. So, since we can't get hold of this guy, lol..... what do you know about his products? Basicallly, you bolt his hubs/brackets up front and brackets out back on and you're ready for huge 5th gen camaro brakes???? How's the ebrake setup? That a VERY serious must have for me. I can't thank you enough for reaching out to me man. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork? View Post
Looks like the seller is marked as "away" until Jan 22 so his listings are probably deactivated until then. I have them in my watch list so i took screenshots and here's the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-TRUCK...n/292380938167.
__________________
LS Swap build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722579
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #20
Tork?
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 189
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

I’ve been eying these for a while! The listing says the hubs are machines to fit the 5th gen rotor hub bore so would still need rotor bolt pattern redrilled. And it’s tbd on e brake. Also, in theory the front bracket should fit ctsv 6 piston calipers with enlarging one of the holes and running c6 z06 rotors that’s what the 4th gen crowd does. I need to check the offset of the corvette rotors vs Camaro though.

Here’s another little gem I found. Powerstop remanufactures the 4 piston brembo calipers and powder coats them red and sells them under their own p/n. Camaro front is 419-S5284 and they’re only $223 with no core on Jegs. Next best price is the ctsv silver ones on amazon around 300/pair.
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #21
ChuckLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: richmond va
Posts: 263
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork? View Post
I’ve been eying these for a while! The listing says the hubs are machines to fit the 5th gen rotor hub bore so would still need rotor bolt pattern redrilled. And it’s tbd on e brake. Also, in theory the front bracket should fit ctsv 6 piston calipers with enlarging one of the holes and running c6 z06 rotors that’s what the 4th gen crowd does. I need to check the offset of the corvette rotors vs Camaro though.

Here’s another little gem I found. Powerstop remanufactures the 4 piston brembo calipers and powder coats them red and sells them under their own p/n. Camaro front is 419-S5284 and they’re only $223 with no core on Jegs. Next best price is the ctsv silver ones on amazon around 300/pair.
You think like me.......you just better at finding stuff!!!
__________________
LS Swap build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722579
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:32 PM   #22
Tork?
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 189
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

I was thinking the easiest way to add an ebrake would be an in-line hydro brake using existing rear calipers. It’s a budget drift setup but with a locking handle should be relatively cheap too. Something like this https://www.cncbrakes.com/Product.as...412&subseries=
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #23
ChuckLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: richmond va
Posts: 263
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork? View Post
I was thinking the easiest way to add an ebrake would be an in-line hydro brake using existing rear calipers. It’s a budget drift setup but with a locking handle should be relatively cheap too. Something like this https://www.cncbrakes.com/Product.as...412&subseries=
By looking at the diagram picture, thats basically a manually operated front wheel line-lock. how does it lock in place?
__________________
LS Swap build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722579
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #24
ChuckLee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: richmond va
Posts: 263
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

After way too much time on computer deliberating and figuring out fitment issues, I'm going one of two directions:

1) Wilwood 4 piston front and rear setup
REAR https://www.littleshopmfg.com/wilwoo...-87-c10-5-lug/
and FRONT https://www.littleshopmfg.com/gm-71-...-w-pads-5-lug/

2) LT4XTREME's 5th Gen Camaro setup

General thoughts: as for buying, bolting up, and being done with it, obviously wilwood setup is better. The rotor and caliper finish looks cleaner too. That will cost me $1290 plus the cost of replacement axle lines and clevis style e-brake kit so lets just say $1450 to give an estimate.
As for the 5th Gen Camaro setup, having 14" rotors (2" bigger than wilwood) is better in every way unless you wanted to have small wheels. I have 20's so I want to fill that space with as much brake as I can! The parking brake hat and pad setup on the 5th gen should bolt up to the axle and be operational shouldn't it? Cost, I don't know because I can't view any of his stuff for sale, however....the overriding bad news is his store's message: "Sorry guys I'm having another heart surgery and will not be in the shop for a while. Hope to be back soon."
I hope the best for him with his surgery, but I will be honest, my heart skipped a beat when I read that because it looks like no one is buying anything from him for a long time.
__________________
LS Swap build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722579
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #25
Tork?
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 189
Re: Disc brake options for 5x5 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
By looking at the diagram picture, thats basically a manually operated front wheel line-lock. how does it lock in place?
That’s exactly what it is. Drifters use it to lock rear wheels on demand. Proper way they do it is add a second caliper but budget folks use a setup like that in-line on the rear brake line. I don’t see why the same theory wouldn’t work as an ebrake. Searching hydro brake install on YouTube there’s hundreds of videos.
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com