The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
CSHADES

1940 hood ornament

finally got an original ornament rechromed for the 40. My original was broken by the rechromer when I did the truck, I bought a Chinese repop that I have never been to pleased with. I picked it up from the rechromer at Iola along with the stop lamp, headlight rings and a hood ornament for project 39. It is amazing how much a small box of rechromed parts cost. I put it on as soon as I got home from Iola on Thursday.
Attached Images

CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: 1940 hood ornament

looks great!

blame legislation for the prices, most of the cost of chroming is the cost of licenses for the process and materials. I worked at an aircraft company that still had a chroming setup, walked around it a few times. I would have loved to have brought some stuff in to have chromed but couldnt risk contaminating the mix with outside parts. I think they finally got rid of it this year, started sending the few parts that still called for chrome (throttle levers) to an outside firm.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
CSHADES

Re: 1940 hood ornament

It is amazing what it costs. I had about 10 pieces total the biggest was the hood ornaments. The total with tax was 1473.00. I know I could powder coat or paint the parts but nothing comes close to the look of chrome. Now I have the grille, windshield frame, rear window frame and upper grille trim bar to do next so I may have to get a loan to do those.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote