The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
_Ogre

see the USA in your chevrolet

not a real chevrolet, more like my 09 sierra dd

just returned from a 3 week, 6275 mile trip around the good old USA.
starting out in motown to nashville (daughter) to antimony UT. antimony is in nowhere, family reunion at a the rockin r dude ranch. peaceful 4 days without any cell service. visited with family in twin falls, moscow, port ludlow and seattle. stopped by orrieg in boise to check up on his 58 truck progress. good to see a fellow 4 eyed forum member

then... the reason for this thread... drove US hwy 2 from seattle to mackinaw bridge and home to motown. it's been 2 years since i did a serious road trip. cruising US hwy 2 was as peaceful as you can get on a road trip. probably drove thru 500 small towns USA and 100 mountain passes. i've cruised the whole east end of hwy 2 thru the adirondacks and small portions out west, but this is the first time i did the whole western enchilada

i have a 1976 bicentennial edition road atlas that i have marked up for every road traveled in my life time. i used to markup an old 80s atlas that i also used until it was to beat up. bought the 1976 version off ebay about 10 years ago and transferred all the roads traveled on to it, it's pretty full of lines. have probably missed a few small trips but it has all the major trips. it's sort of fun to look at it and remember the trip

really wished i had driven the 58 truk, but i like being married

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: see the USA in your chevrolet

Oh DAMN I love road trips! I too have driven all over America (not ALL over, I need to go out again) through 29 states. If I hit the lotto that is all I would do!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
MARTINSR

And yes, the Atlas is the way go to, I have one with all the state capitals I have seen and MLB ball parks and stuff like that, heck yeah!

Brian

Old 08-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
1project2many

This is very cool. I hope to be able to do something similar before I can't drive anymore. I've never been through the gulf states or the southwest. But time seems to pass by a bit faster with each year...

Quote:
i have a 1976 bicentennial edition road atlas that i have marked up for every road traveled in my life time.
I have the same atlas! I used it when I moved to MT in '93. I remember picking up a freebie map in WY because I-90 wasn't complete through WY or MT when the atlas was printed.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
8man

Thought I was the only one still carrying paper maps.

Cool story. We like road trips as well.
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:15 AM   #6
mr48chev

If you went up 82 from Umitilla to 90 at Ellensberg on the way from Boise to Port Ludlow you were within 5 miles of my house when you passed exit 50.

I have a long road trip planned as soon as the 48 is done and want to pull a small trailer like a Scamp or Burro.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
mikebte

6000+ miles, Very awesome, I love road trips and hope to do more. Just helped my retired neighbor put a gear vendor in his Classic and he just left to do a tour of the country. For sure on the bucket list.
Good to hear you had fun.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #8
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
If you went up 82 from Umitilla to 90 at Ellensberg on the way from Boise to Port Ludlow you were within 5 miles of my house when you passed exit 50.

I have a long road trip planned as soon as the 48 is done and want to pull a small trailer like a Scamp or Burro.
I had a "Scamp" before it was Scamp, it was a "Boler" made in Canada (Mid 70's). They sold the moulds and design to someone who made "Scamp." Anyway, it was a 13' and it was an AWESOME trailer! Wow, what a great way to camp. I remember having someone at a camp ground ask if they could come into the trailer, when they did they said "Oh my God, it gets BIGGER on the inside." LOL It felt like that, what a great design.

They are going up in price, I bought mine around 1990 for $1200 and sold it, in not as good of condition a few years ago for $4500.

Brian

Old 08-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
_Ogre

i've always loved a good road trip. i have over 100,000 miles on my thumb from back when hitchhiking was fun and fairly safe
the bicentennial atlas stays at home and is only for mapping my travels thru the lower 48
it is so old that many freeways have changed,but new freeways basically follow old state hwys

i've managed to travel thru 48 states over the years, picked up rhode island in 2010 when i retrieved my son at the northern end of the appalachian trail
always wanted to drive to alaska, doubt i'll make it at this point in my life
lately i've tried to pick roads not traveled on, i've traveled I-80 thru nebraska so many times i still have the exits memorized
maybe next time i'll take the trans canadian hwy to seattle

i enjoy seeing national parks and have been to maybe 35 of the 58 np, picked up arches np this trip
plus many nation seashores, battle fields and historic sites
i'll stop at any engineering marvel too, locks, dams, bridges and buildings. zoos and museums are fair game too. drives my wife nuts
Quote:
Thought I was the only one still carrying paper maps.
i still use a road atlas to plan trips and stops. the google is used mostly for finding specific addresses
on the trip home my wife kept using google maps to plan the route even though we stayed on US hwy 2 for over 2000 miles

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #10
Driver_WT

Awesome trip. thanks for sharing. I will be having more time to travel in about 6 months and we are planning a few trips.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #11
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i've always loved a good road trip. i have over 100,000 miles on my thumb from back when hitchhiking was fun and fairly safe
the bicentennial atlas stays at home and is only for mapping my travels thru the lower 48
it is so old that many freeways have changed,but new freeways basically follow old state hwys

i've managed to travel thru 48 states over the years, picked up rhode island in 2010 when i retrieved my son at the northern end of the appalachian trail
always wanted to drive to alaska, doubt i'll make it at this point in my life
lately i've tried to pick roads not traveled on, i've traveled I-80 thru nebraska so many times i still have the exits memorized
maybe next time i'll take the trans canadian hwy to seattle

i enjoy seeing national parks and have been to maybe 35 of the 58 np, picked up arches np this trip
plus many nation seashores, battle fields and historic sites
i'll stop at any engineering marvel too, locks, dams, bridges and buildings. zoos and museums are fair game too. drives my wife nuts

i still use a road atlas to plan trips and stops. the google is used mostly for finding specific addresses
on the trip home my wife kept using google maps to plan the route even though we stayed on US hwy 2 for over 2000 miles
You are my hero, that is one hell of a list! I have been in 17 state capital buildings and 18 MLB ball parks. DAMN I would love to finish it off like you have.

Brian

Old 08-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
rgunlock

My wife and I like to pick up a state map the first place we can find after crossing the line into a state we haven't visited. Phones and GPS have their place, but there's nothing like unfolding the map to see what to expect ahead and map your progress through a state.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #13
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
just returned from a 3 week, 6275 mile trip around the good old USA....
really wished i had driven the 58 truk, but i like being married

if I had driven ~300 miles a day for 21 days I would not be married.

thats a haul, congrats! some sundays I will just get lost on a backroad, 2-300 miles sometimes.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #14
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
if I had driven ~300 miles a day for 21 days I would not be married.

thats a haul, congrats! some sundays I will just get lost on a backroad, 2-300 miles sometimes.
LOL, yeah, we have to do what our passengers like too. We went on a long trip once, to Arkansas for my wife's family reunion (tiny town of 800) and as I was pulling off the freeway at the exit to my house here in the SF bay area after driving about 6000 miles I realized that she hadn't ever been behind the wheel! We had talked about sharing the drive and I had driven every mile!

Glad she puts up with me....at least about that. LOL

Brian

Old 08-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #15
my56chevytruck

Very cool my friend, road trips while you still can is the way to see the USA. Good for you? any pics of souvenirs?? Done anything recently to your truck?? By the way do you have a radio and want type of antenna do you use?
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote