The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
bowton

Help with recreating '69 C20 tranny kickdown

Really hoping that someone can steer me in the right direction. I looked around on the forum and didn't really find anything specific that could help me.

Scenerio:

I am the owner of a 1969 Chevy C20 Custom Camper Special. Truck was built at the Fremont, CA GM plant.

From the factory the drivetrain was a 350 w/4bbl carb, TH400, and Dana 60 rear end.

Over the years the truck was bastardized and I am trying to get it closer to stock and restore it to full functionality. Truck runs really good right now....

I am missing any and all transmission kickdown parts/assembly. The truck currently has a 350 engine with a 1976 Rochester Quadrajet/w electric choke. Distributor is a GM HEI.

The stock throttle did not use a cable but instead a formed metal rod that is mounted to a pivot point on the firewall. Currently, the gas pedal presses on one end of the rod and the other end attaches directly to the Quadrajet linkage.

Is anyone familiar with the original factory setup and can they help me understand what parts I am missing and what I should be looking for from a salvage yard?

I work very close to a salvage yard in Fremont, CA that specializes in 67-72 Chevy trucks. It's called Vintage Chevy Trucks. The guy has lots of parts but he's generally grumpy and isn't very helpful so it would be better if I could let him know exactly what I am looking for.

I am hopeful that they might be a bolt on solution here rather than having to custom fabricate something completely original. I realize that this may not be possible so if there is a recommended aftermarket solution that isn't too much work I am open to the idea. Most of the stuff I have seen surfing around the web for kickdowns is hardware for converting from a TH350 to a TH400 and adapting to the throttle cable used for a TH350. Other stuff is just generic and will require custom fabrication.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Barton Courcier
Redwood City, CA
(408) 529-2228
email: bowton@gmail.com
bowton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Help with recreating '69 C20 tranny kickdown

Look here. All kinds of different pics or links to brackets etc.
It’ll give you some ideas what you need.
Might be just as easy to swap your rod linkage over to a cable set up that has the kick down on the pedal bracket.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...10.UV_2I1EPbTI
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Here is a picture I harvested from the forum showing the early switch. (Thanks twitch3136) There is a small bracket (basically a tab) that bolts to the throttle. The bolt is hidden by the accelerator pedal rod where it attaches to the throttle. The switch has a bracket that bolts to the rear driver's side carb attachment bolt and to the forward coil bracket bolt on the intake manifold. There are two wires going to it. I believe the yellow one is from the fuse block through a it's own grommet in the firewall and a orange wire that goes to the transmission. Some one correct me if i have the colors backwards. These come up for sale in the classified section from time to time. Do a search there for more photos.
Good luck.

This photo and the bracket I described is correct for 67 only. There is a much more available version that was used on 68-70 trucks and I believe some cars. Here is a link to the 67 version off the truck.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ickdown+switch

And a link to the 68-70 version

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ickdown+switch

Both of these are for 4 barrel V8 trucks. 2 barrel trucks and six cylinder trucks all had there own styles of brackets. The later style switch fits all truck models.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 09-11-2018 at 09:37 PM. Reason: -25 incomplete information
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Was there also a later version of the TH400 electric kickdown that was under the dash near the gas pedal too?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

Yes there is a 71(?) and later version that has the switch under the dash on the accelerator pedal bracket that holds the pedal to the firewall. Once again harvested photo. Thanks JimKshortstep4x4.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote