The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
fredico

55 series 1 build

Son #3, Anthony, wants to rebuild our 1955 series 1 chevy 3600 3/4t by installing a small block 350, T400, disc brakes, fuel cell, and so on.... The truck is stock. I took the bed off some years ago and put inside. It's the only thing that does not have surface rust. The metal is not too bad with the exception of the back top of the cab. It got crushed by a locust tree. Now for the questions. What would be the best way to pull out the rear top of the cab? It was creased at the corner. Should it be cut away and replaced with new metal? Obsolete chevy has metal for earlier (1953 back) cabs. OK, now the fun stuff. What differential will fit that has 3.73 gears and disc brakes? The stock rear has 4.10 gears. What front end can be installed to add power steering, and disc brakes w/o cutting and replacing the entire clip? Option, what entire frame w/suspension can be used to mount the cab and box (wheel base is 125 1/4 inches). Also it is 63 inches from mid tire to mid tire. Lookn' for the best options to put the truck back on the road safe. We appreciate all your help. thanks.
Attached Images

fredico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
bretcopsey

Re: 55 series 1 build

Your truck looks about like what I started with. The crease in the cab roof is more severe than what I had to deal with though. I would first suggest you determine what level of finished product you would like to end up with. You could cut out the inner cab panel and begin metal working, then weld the inner panel back in. Or do like I did and break out the drill and slide hammer. I got the dents back out to the point of being able to smooth it all out with All Metal filler. Some may consider this a hack repair, but I am only looking for driver quality.

For your chassis questions, there has been some talk about using a later model Caprice frame recently. There is also the S10 frame option. I went with a Camaro clip myself.

My 68 Camaro project
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2277404/1

Last edited by bretcopsey; 08-14-2007 at 10:41 AM.
bretcopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
fredico

Re: 55 series 1 build

Bretcopsey, thanks for the suggestions. The finished truck will be a clean daily driver. The 3/4t rear will be pulled for a 1/2t. Don't know what fits yet but thats what learning is about. the reason for looking for either a bolt on application or a swap is I have never changed front clips. Guess its time to broaden the horizon. We decided to pull the inner cab panels and initially use the trusty slide hammer. the tree hit the cab hard enough to pinch the upper door corner against the door opening. The good news is the passenger door opens with a tug. Will post pics as we go.
fredico is offline   Reply With Quote