The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Window seal kit, outside squeegee and inside felt

I have a 69 CST-10 and working on the passenger side window, I have most of the weatherstripping done in the glass run and division bar. The part I'm working on now is the window seal kit. I have the Precision brand kits I bought from GMC Paul. In this post when I talk about front and rear, I mean the part toward the front of the truck or rear of the truck.

When I went to put the outside squeegee in the window slot, I found it to be a little bit too long. If I place the rear of the squeegee against the glass run, the front of the squeegee extends beyond the division bar.

Placement against glass run:

Name:  rear squeegee.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  45.1 KB

Extends to front of division bar:

Name:  front squeegee.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  53.2 KB

In this picture, I am showing the squeegee after I cut about 1/4 inch off the front of it to get it to fit. The tape is there because I didn't realize it had a separate chrome bead crimped onto it, so I messed it up a little when I tried using a hacksaw to shorten it. I glued the chrome bead back to the squeegee and taped it, waiting for it to dry. That was a pain to cut, there is no way I could get the hacksaw to cut forward, I could only cut it by dragging the saw backwards and lift it and place it for each stroke. So, anyway, I think it will fit. It looks like it goes from the front of the glass run to the front of the division bar. I compared that to the driver's door which I have not taken apart yet. So far, so good? Any recommendations or just go ahead and clip it in?

Now let's look at the inside felt. When I place the felt against the rear of the division bar...

Name:  front felt.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  43.7 KB

...at the rear of the felt, it extends into the glass run. I'm thinking I need to cut about 1/2 inch of this off so it goes as far as the front of the glass run, and not into it. Is that right?

Name:  rear felt.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  42.1 KB
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Window seal kit, outside squeegee and inside felt

Bump. Did any of you guys need to cut yours?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
MoFormula

I used a different brand and had to cut about 1/4" to 3/8" off for correct fitment.
MoFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
GMCPaul

If you look at a original GM door inner beltline felt & outer rubber beltline installed you'll see that the outer beltline should end flush with the front edge of the vent window division bar where it aligns if uncut and the inner felt ends inside the rear of door glass opening tucked behind the glass run channels where it also ends uncut. These beltlines in the Precision kit are exactly the same lengths as the original GM.
So don't cut for the install.
Paul Jr. @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
dmjlambert

OK, I'm looking at the original installation on the drivers door. Here is a look at it as I pry the old glass run channel to look in there, and yes it is tucked back beside the rear glass run.

Name:  driv1.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  33.1 KB

So, I believe it, but I'm not sure if the belief will benefit me. Should I just cram the beltline felt in beside the rear glass run on the passenger side like this, and force the window up to mash it down or something? This seems weird to me.

Name:  pass.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  32.3 KB
Old 05-24-2017, 09:49 PM   #6
dmjlambert

closer picture of old weatherstrip on driver's side
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

That's how it seals. If you cut it to meet the channel, that's where water can get in. It need to "lap" just like roof flashing on your house. It's a moving part so no way to use a sealant on the gap created by cutting

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:00 AM   #8
GMCPaul

If you look closely at the OEM felt installed on your door you can see they trimmed the felt off and that end tucked behind glass run channel ends up getting bent towards the door frame, however if you look in the factory assembly manuals they show the inner felt sitting on top of the glass run channel rather than behind it and again they show the end being bent slightly.
Now why the factory assembly line seemed to place them behind the glass run channel and the assembly manual shows it on top I don't know why.
If you have the assembly manual this area is depicted in the 1st section of the book ( 1967 section as it does not change in later years, if they changed the install in later years then a update id shown in 1 of the later year listings ) just after the depictions of the Suburban door assemblies.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:30 PM   #9
dmjlambert

I gave the half-inch section that goes beside the rear channel a shave and squeeze in a vice to flatten it, and installed it. It seems OK.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2017, 12:25 AM   #10
dmjlambert

Thanks for your input on these folks, and thanks to GMCPaul for selling the good stuff. I used the push on weatherstrip door kit with deluxe window weatherstrips by Precision. It took a couple weeks of fooling around with it, I just took my time and went through all the window and door weatherstrip replacing it all, and just now finished up. The driver's side did not take any modification of the length at all, the passenger side just needed a very small amount taken off. It is great to have the inner workings of the door cleaned out, fixed up and greased for smooth operation. This is the first time the doors have had working locking mechanisms inside and out in decades, probably.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I am needing to do the same thing on my '72. I plan to buy his kit... soon

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I cut mine and use tin snips to do it. You can't keep the water out anyway so what difference does it make. That is why there are drain holes in the bottom of the door.....

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #13
slikside

Sub'd.