The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
The Blue Pig
Thread Wizard Since 2002

1989 Suburban lift (advice?)

Hello, guys!

As you can see, I've been frequenting this site for just under 10,000 years and have switched my focus. I always was more into lower and faster when I was younger.

Last year, I picked up an 89 GMC V1500. 350 TBI, 700R4, etc. I really, really like it. It's older, but still new enough to have a few creature comforts. I don't want carburetors and crank windows anymore.

So, getting to the point. I live here in Fairbanks and when I go out with the kids, I have already found myself in a spot once or twice where I am limited by my ride height.

I would like to look into getting a 6 inch lift and 35's under the Burb. Mostly for utility, partially for looks. Not looking do to any serious off roading or mud racing, but just to be able to go a bit further onto the gravel bar or into the water.

I have noticed (and confirmed via forums) that the rear end has a pretty good sag to it and getting blocks, etc. to raise the rear would just leave me with a 6 inch lifted, still saggy Burb.

So, I'm looking for input! I have only found two suspension outfits that actually offer full rear springs in their lift kits. Is this the proper direction for me to travel?

More importantly, what can I expect when I go to install this kit? Do I need to get a T-case relocator along with the dropped pitman arm? Anyone have any advice on what may creep up on me and be a surprise PITA when I go to install this lift?
--74 C-10 Shortbed
--86 Toyota Tercel (His Driver)
--05 Chevy Trailblazer (Her Driver)
The Blue Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: 1989 Suburban lift (advice?)

Tuff Country gets pretty much universal praise for their EZ Ride lift kits: http://www.tuffcountry.com/lift-kits/chevy/suburban/. Brake lines, drive shafts, and front and rear gear are givens at 6"/35's but I don't think the t-case will need dropped. Someone put this exact combo on their Burb a few years ago, let me see if I can find the thread.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
RDrancher

I'll agree that Tuff Country makes a great set of off the shelf set of springs. On the other hand...a set of custom springs will ride and perform a whole bunch better. I ran a set of Alcan springs on my spring over axle FJ40 Land Cruiser for over ten years. It was set up as a rockcrawler, but would high-tail it through the desert like floating on air as well. They're pricey, but custom leaf packs can't be beat.

Here's a little reading for you. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=159670
Old 09-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #4
A1980GMC

Sorry to drag up an old post, but here is my $0.02. I would not go full springs in the rear. I am in the same boat as you. I have 6" front springs for my 73 Blazer, not yet installed. I assume the rear springs are original, but I don't know. I have a 4" shackle flip for the rear. So I will either buy new stock springs and use a 2" block or a 2-3" springs in the rear with the flip. The stock spring will give you the best ride. The more lift in the spring the stiffer the ride.

I had a 1999 Burban with a 6.5" Cepek IFS lift. I did a shackled flip in the rear and loved it. Then used a 3" block. The shackle flip rotates the pinion up, so I installed the blocks backwards and it moved the pinion down. Worked out great. Very smooth ride. A lot of that was due to the IFS, but the shackle flip helped.
A1980GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
The Blue Pig
Thread Wizard Since 2002

80GMC, that's actually a route I had not considered. I should go see if I can find a place that a person can source new springs for an 89 suburban. I wonder if the price difference from getting the simpler lift kit will even out after buying two new rear springs.

Thanks for the reply!
--74 C-10 Shortbed
Old 09-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
A1980GMC

I haven't sourced my new rear springs yet either. Like I said, I have my 6" Superlift front springs and my ORD shackle flip already. So I have to find 2-3" more for the rear. I would like the rear to sit level with the front, but if I can't get that, I would rather the rear be higher than lower.

My Blazer has a shorter wheelbase than your Burban, so I need all the help I can get when it comes to smoothing out the ride.

Good luck with your project. I miss my 99 Burban. I replaced it with a 2003 7.3L Excursion. I wanted a diesel and a solid axle up front. I have 6" Superlift springs in the front and 5.5" Superlift springs in the rear on it. I am running 37's. I love driving a big ole beast.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #7
The Blue Pig
Thread Wizard Since 2002

That sounds awesome. I wish my TBI 350 put out half the power your got with your Ex. I'm assuming I'm going to have to regear just so I can maintain highway speeds once I go up in size like that.

So, do you notice with your 5.5 springs the stiff ride, like you were saying?
--74 C-10 Shortbed
Old 09-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
A1980GMC

It is a much stiffer ride. But that was to be expected. I wasn't sure the ORD shackle flip would have worked for my Ford. But I bought all the springs from Superlift's scratch and dent Ebay store many years ago.

Here are some pictures of my 99 Burban and my current Excursion. I'm 6'7" so my Burban doesn't look as tall with me standing in front of it.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
swissarmychainsaw

My best advice is to call "Offroad Designs" those guys are a small shop and specialize in Chevy Trucks.
They will talk you through your options and give you real, informed opinions.

I called them and they say, "oh suburban? hang on .... (hands phone to suburban guy)" he talked me through my issues.

Seriously good folks over there.

--Nick
swissarmychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #10
Ski-me

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissarmychainsaw View Post
My best advice is to call "Offroad Designs" those guys are a small shop and specialize in Chevy Trucks.
They will talk you through your options and give you real, informed opinions.

I called them and they say, "oh suburban? hang on .... (hands phone to suburban guy)" he talked me through my issues.

Seriously good folks over there.

--Nick
Agree, ORD is a good outfit for this era of truck.

I'd go with 4" shackle flip and see if they have a 2.5" lift block. I had the same V1500 suburban. I put in a 1" block in the rear and really helped the look of those saggy springs.

ORD also has a "zero rate 1 inch lift" spring that will bolt to your spring pack (1" in height).

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote