The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
americanmusc1e

5 lug rear-end swap

I think the 3.08 open diff rear on my truck just gave up.

I'm thinking about changing the whole rear-end out. I'd like to avoid a 10 bolt if possible.

What non-10 bolt rear ends are available with a chevy 5x5 lug pattern????

truck 12 bolts

car 12 bolts????

Dana 60?????

Ford 9"?????

I need something rather cheap, preferably available with 3.73 gears

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:34 AM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: 5 lug rear-end swap

If you want the cheapest, easiest swap, a '71-'72 12 bolt truck rear end will be your best bet. Get the matching suspension type (i.e. coil or leaf) and it will bolt in.

If you have the ability to weld, you can get any truck 12 bolt from '73-'87 that you can cut off the brackets from and weld on the correct style for yours. That is what I did, a '73 rear end and used ECE weld on perches and set it up like the factory rear end.

One thing to note, unless you have the more rare "wide" '70 rear end, the late year '70 and '71 and later are 1.5" wider then the early rear ends. If you have wheels size and offset setup for your current one, these new rear ends will put the wheels out .75" more on each side.

Other than full size (i.e. Impala) Chevy cars, most GM cars were 5 on 4.75" lug, not the truck pattern. Ford 9" I don't believe came in a 5 on 5. Don't know about Dana 60 but I think they are 6 or 8 lug only.

Good luck.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
cris well

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
If you want the cheapest, easiest swap, a '71-'72 12 bolt truck rear end will be your best bet. Get the matching suspension type (i.e. coil or leaf) and it will bolt in.

If you have the ability to weld, you can get any truck 12 bolt from '73-'87 that you can cut off the brackets from and weld on the correct style for yours. That is what I did, a '73 rear end and used ECE weld on perches and set it up like the factory rear end.

One thing to note, unless you have the more rare "wide" '70 rear end, the late year '70 and '71 and later are 1.5" wider then the early rear ends. If you have wheels size and offset setup for your current one, these new rear ends will put the wheels out .75" more on each side.

Other than full size (i.e. Impala) Chevy cars, most GM cars were 5 on 4.75" lug, not the truck pattern. Ford 9" I don't believe came in a 5 on 5. Don't know about Dana 60 but I think they are 6 or 8 lug only.

Good luck.
so a 67-70 (with the exception of the 'wide 70') is 1.5" narrower?

12 bolts or 10 bolts or both?

what are the most common gear ratios?
cris well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
Strider

Thumbs up Re: 5 lug rear-end swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post

Good luck.

I am looking to swap my 6 lug 12 bolt with 4.11 gears out of my 68 chev 1/2 ton and was going to use either CPP or ECE's Rear End Conversion Kit but after talking to them they said this kit is only for lowered vehicles and I'm running stock height suspension.

Has anyone used these rear end conversion kits to swap in a 73-up 10 or 12 bolt or other axle into a 67-72 coil spring rear truck?

I understand the weld on perches from CPP or ECE's kit would work for the newer axle but what should be done with the panhard bar? Again, CPP or ECE said that the panhard bar in their kit is not right for the stock height suspension geometry.

Any thoughts or experience would be great and if I'm ever in your town I'll buy beers!

Thanks!
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." ~Sherlock Holmes
"Deeds will not be less valliant because they are unpraised." ~ Aragorn
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

there were no 10 bolt rears in these rigs.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

307 373 id guess...im in the same boat as you..found a 373 posi with everything but brakes for 375 obo in town..that a good deal? it is coil spring from under a 63 chevy

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
cris well

yea i think 3:08 and 3:73 are the most common ratios.

as far as if it's a good deal or not i'd be sure to take the cover off and make sure it's a limited-slip.

i've welded up a couple before but i've never seen a factory limited slip in a 1/2 ton truck.....it may be aftermarket.

actually i'm looking for one that is shorter than the factory rear by about 4-6 inches so i can use my 10" rallys with some 33x12-50's and tuck them.

maybe some other car or truck. i saw a swap kit on CCP's website with the weld-on mounting pads.

i know where to get a 3:73 12 bolt limited-slip from a 70-73 camaro. anybody know how wide these are?

i know it's gonna be a 5x4.75 pattern but i guess i could get 2 more rallys.

Last edited by cris well; 12-25-2009 at 12:34 AM.
cris well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

wuhh?

Why would it make a difference lowered or not, id like to hear more info on that...doesnt make sense, what do swapping axles have to do with lowered or not lol?

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
Strider

The Guys at ECE told me that their rear end conversion kit or deluxe track bar kit was for use only with lowered vehicles (ones that had been lowered 4 inches or more).
Apparently the geometry would change and the panhard bar in the kit is only meant or designed for lowered vehicles. I thought I would use this kit with a 1991 10 bolt I have (3.08 gears) and then I would be able to keep the rear end centered using their panhard bar from this kit that bolts to the passenger side rear trailing arm ( as the 1991 10 bolt does not have the stud on the top of the pumpkin for the stock panhard bar.).
So.......................i'm F - - - E D as of now because I don't know if I should buy the kit and do the swap or not based on what they told me.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." ~Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
swierker

I used the ECE kit years ago. I did a 4 inch drop so I got the adjustable panhard bar, not the trackbar that attaches to the TA.

My memory is kind of fuzzy but I THINK that the panhard bar might attach to a different location with the shock relocator kit.

I would talk to them again about the panhard bar because I might be wrong. The track bar is only meant for drops of more than 4".

But if you're looking to get a 5 bolt lug out of an anything other than a 71-72 AND run stock height AND use coil springs, you would have to find some way attach the panhard bar.

Ok, now after writing all that out I see your problem. I've also heard others mention an axle swap or redrilling the axles for 5 lugs.
swierker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
Strider

[QUOTE=swierker;4087905]I used the ECE kit years ago. I did a 4 inch drop so I got the adjustable panhard bar, not the trackbar that attaches to the TA.

My memory is kind of fuzzy but I THINK that the panhard bar might attach to a different location with the shock relocator kit.

I would talk to them again about the panhard bar because I might be wrong. The track bar is only meant for drops of more than 4".

But if you're looking to get a 5 bolt lug out of an anything other than a 71-72 AND run stock height AND use coil springs, you would have to find some way attach the panhard bar.

Ok, now after writing all that out I see your problem. I've also heard others mention an axle swap or redrilling the axles for 5 lugs.[/QUO

Track bar or panhard bar...........the same??

If I use the 1991 10 bolt, yes I will need a panhard bar and have to figure out a way to attach it. Everything else ( weld on perches etc.) will be easy.
I am running stock height rear coil springs.
So ECE said that their track bar kit / panhard bar is for lowered trucks only.
So if their kit doesn't work, I'm gonna need to find a way to attach the panhard bar as the 10 bolt doesn't have the stud for the stock panhard bar!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by swierker View Post
I used the ECE kit years ago. I did a 4 inch drop so I got the adjustable panhard bar, not the trackbar that attaches to the TA.

Ok, now after writing all that out I see your problem. I've also heard others mention an axle swap or redrilling the axles for 5 lugs.
In your axle swap with your 4 inch drop, what axle did you use?
Old 07-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
swierker

That was on a 64 chevy truck that I did the swap but I think the parts are the same. It was the same coil spring rear end, I'm pretty sure the the rear was stock for the 64. I don't have the truck anymore so I can't verify.

The track bar and the panhard bar from ECE are not the same thing. The ECE track bar attaches to the trailing arm and their panhard bar attaches to the rearend in the stock location which I remember for sure.

I'm going to get the track bar for my 70 but I'm also doing a 6" drop.

I remember the panhard bar was adjustable so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work at the stock height. But you still would need a way to attach it the 91 rear.
swierker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by swierker View Post
That was on a 64 chevy truck that I did the swap but I think the parts are the same. It was the same coil spring rear end, I'm pretty sure the the rear was stock for the 64. I don't have the truck anymore so I can't verify.

The track bar and the panhard bar from ECE are not the same thing. The ECE track bar attaches to the trailing arm and their panhard bar attaches to the rearend in the stock location which I remember for sure.

I'm going to get the track bar for my 70 but I'm also doing a 6" drop.

I remember the panhard bar was adjustable so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work at the stock height. But you still would need a way to attach it the 91 rear.
Okay, so perhaps I need to check out the track bar they have? If I use the 1991 axle, I'd have to use the track bar (if it attaches to the trailing arm.).
This would give me a similar setup to stock.
Here is the ECE track bar kit.
THis is the kit they said was for lowered vehicles only.
If this is the case, then we are severely limited in terms of what axles we can use with the stock trailing arms and this limits our gear ratios too.
If not, then we are good. But I can't believe that this kit wouldn't allow me to run stock height suspension and a different axle.
Attached Images