The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
gnjeff.t

flat towing a 72

Can I flat-tow my 72 Chevy 4x4 without having to remove the driveshaft? I thought it would be O.K. if the transfer case and transmission were in neutral, and the front hubs were unlocked.
gnjeff.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
hemi43

Re: flat towing a 72

I can't think of a better vehicle to flat tow. Like you said, put the transfer case in neutral and you're good to go, but you can leave the transmission in park.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
cdowns

a lot depend on how far you plan to tow it a mile or a thousand big difference// I would not try towin it with transmission in park unless you want to change the tranny and replace the driveshaft too
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #4
gnjeff.t

The trip I am planning is about 200 miles one way. Then a few weeks later I will tow it back. I see a lot of RV's flat towing all kinds of vehicles, from Audis to VW's. There are a lot of 4x4's being flat towed, and I have even seen some 67-72 4x4 Chevy/GMC's also.
I don't know about leaving it in park to tow.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
landy

You'll read conflicting info about flat towing the 205. I couldn't find a definitive answer so dropped the driveshaft just to be safe. It's not much effort to do that.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #6
gnjeff.t

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy View Post
You'll read conflicting info about flat towing the 205. I couldn't find a definitive answer so dropped the driveshaft just to be safe. It's not much effort to do that.
Thank you for confirming all of the conflicting info. I think everyone will tell me it's O.K. to flat tow MY truck, then they would probably remove the drive shaft in theirs to tow it.
Thanks again.
Later, Jeff.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
truckster

I've flat towed my 72 over 5,000 miles. Once the transfer case is in neutral, it doesn't matter if the transmission is in park or not - the transmission and engine are completely disconnected from the rest of the drive train. I make sure the front hubs are unlocked only because it slightly reduces friction, but if they're locked it won't hurt anything.

My cousin has a Toyota 4X4 that can't be flat-towed even if the transfer case is in neutral, but the NP205 is completely different and there will be absolutely no damage to the transmission in your 72.
truckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
landy

It may very well be ok, but, FWIW, owner's manual for a '72 does indicate that for towing at faster speeds at greater distances, the rear drive shaft "must" be disconnected if the rear wheels are on the ground.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #9
Bigdav160

The issue is the same with all transfer cases and transmission (FWIW) without a rear pump. If the driveshaft is turning there are (dry) shafts turning inside. They require splash lubrication which occurs when the input shaft is turning.

If the distance is short enough, or the speed low enough, there is a good chance no real damage will occur. I've heard of people overfilling with lubricant to help with the lack of splash lubrication.

If it was mine I would disconnect the rear driveshaft.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.

Flat towed my 205 equipped 71 from Albuquerque to Detroit.
Removed drive shaft and put it in the bed of the Blazer.
Made sure the front hubs were not locked, the Transfer case in neutral and trans in neutral.
I put the trans in neutral just in case the T/C slipped into gear (which is not likely).

I had no problems what so ever.
I put the drive shaft back in and went to the Woodward Cruise.

Here I am prepping the truck in Albuquerque. I was under the truck taking the drive shaft out while the wife posed.

And here we are in the apartment complex in Detroit.(Dearborn)

BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
The issue is the same with all transfer cases and transmission (FWIW) without a rear pump. If the driveshaft is turning there are (dry) shafts turning inside. They require splash lubrication which occurs when the input shaft is turning.

If the distance is short enough, or the speed low enough, there is a good chance no real damage will occur. I've heard of people overfilling with lubricant to help with the lack of splash lubrication.

If it was mine I would disconnect the rear driveshaft.
X2 - the issue is with the oiling of the output shaft bearings. You can run them dry if you like friction and heat on your bearings. Or you can pull the driveshaft and keep the bearings happy.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:01 AM   #12
Cap'n Hook
Workin to live...

It takes 10 mins to take out four bolts and I just secure the driveshaft under the vehicle. Peace of mind is cheaper than Internet confirmations.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:40 AM   #13
ElectricJesus

I got my '72 from my parents, and I've worked on it a f**k-load with my dad
(not as much as many people here, but a lot for a guy that's only 21), and we've made mistakes while messing with the front axle before I got it, so just to be safe I've always had it towed on a flatbed trailer. I can't speak for it being flat-towed, but I recommend making sure that the axles are free wheeling before you tow it. Just my two cents
ElectricJesus is offline   Reply With Quote