The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 02:36 PM   #1
superfly68

Unhappy blazer tank install... ON FLEETSIDE steel bed!

ok. i loved the "how to" post byjorgensensc and thought it was very cool of him to do. i got my kit and was raring to go. MY first warning should have been when he welded a 1-1/2" exhaust fitting on the tank and the filler nozzle. i had to buy a 1-3/8" to 1-1/2" for the tank and a 2" to a 1-1/2" to the nozzle. and things got worse from there. The thing i didn't realize is that a fleetside-steel bed and a step side wood bed have many differences. Like the crossmember that he simply upbolted is welded on a steel bed. so i have to "c" notch it out with a plasma cutter. (thanks to a neighbor justin!) Not only that but the holes in the frame rail that match up with the tank also line up the filler neck on the bed support that i just hacked up. SO i had to move the tank as far back as i could and redrill some mounting holes. 3/4" whick is always fun when you don't have a 3/4" steel drill bit. (thanks for the grinder bit justin) Also there is a big difference in the location of the side marker. you have to cut out a corner of the bed and rail to access it. i'll be posting pictures as soon as i finish. Just wanted to give you fleetside steel floor brothers a heads up!
there will be many more details to come in the near future.

down and out for a few days,
superfly68
Old 01-02-2004, 10:52 PM   #2
classicchev

I did the same thing on my steel bed, I had no problems. Actually it was quit simple. Gas door from the junk yard, special gas filler hose, new line to the front ,a couple of fittings, and it was done. The only thing I would suggest is a electric fuel pump, that was the only challange I have had in about 4 years. Good luck, Darren
Old 01-06-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
superfly68

did you have to do any fabrication on the bed where the filler door would be mounted? maybe it's different on a '68 but where the 4 bolts (one in each corner) would be there is no metal to attach the hinge to. i am thinking i'll have to weld some corner pieces in to mount the hinge and gas splash guard.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:42 PM   #4
classicchev

I had to cut the inner fender(box) open so I could access the space between the outer fender and the box floor. Once I had got all the filler stuff in place I then bent some metal to cover the tube and back of filler door. Ive seen guys use the clearance light to be used as the filler door, depends how your feelings about the "look" are. Good luck Darren
Old 01-07-2004, 03:26 PM   #5
70short

Fuel filler

I have A Blazer tank that I will be installing. When I figure out what route I want to take for the filler. I was leaning towards A filler inside the left rear corner of the bed. A small box the size of the channel in depth. Approx 4in tall. Instead of the top being horizontal make it diaginal. Width? what ever I need to pull it together. The bed will have A spray in liner. I seen this on one of our trucks (pic's) it has just been awhile. I would really like to see the pic's again. I know FUEL CELL GUY has A set up similar to this. I will probably contact him when I am ready. See what he would charge and or recommend. My "70" is A fleetside.
Weiand Stealth Intake
HEI
shorty Headers
4/2 Drop
295 50R 15 TOYO on 10 inch wide corvette rally rims at all 4 corners.
"CHEVY RULES"
Old 01-07-2004, 03:40 PM   #6
superfly68

classicchev

maybe i wan't being clear... i am talking about where your actual marker light is normally mounted. now where the gas door will be mounted to. In each corner of the cutout for the marker light there is nothing the attach the gas door and spill splash guard. I am thinking i'll have to weld some corners in there in order to mount these. if you look at the pic on this page that shows the mounting screws you'll see what i am talking about. I was just wondering if that is different from year to year.

http://www.classicheartbeat.com/mark...t_gas_door.htm

thanks for any help and i'll post pictures soon...
Old 01-08-2004, 11:24 AM   #7
FuelCellGuy
FUEL CELL GURU

Simple....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=fuel+cell

Last edited by augie; 04-15-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:51 PM   #8
superfly68

that's a nice looking install for a fuel cell. my tank is installed now. I am just having some problems mounting the fuel filler door in the side marker.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

Is there any info on how to do this on an 81-87?

Can you put the fuel door behind the license plate, like my old GTO had?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
Old 01-21-2004, 08:25 PM   #10
superfly68

think you might have to get a fuel cell with an outlet the faces back for that. might be able to use an old camaro tank but i wouldn't know about that.

i think an easier solution is to flip the door around so it's inside the bed.

good luck!
Old 02-23-2004, 09:42 PM   #11
kaycee

Talking I welded

A strip on both ends for the gas door and filler tray.I was confused on that to.When I took my light off there was a metal box there, I belive he cut this box and that is why he had something to attach there.
63 IMPALA 327
Old 02-23-2004, 10:18 PM   #12
superfly68

yeah i have it mounted now. (filler door) still have to cut a little more out of my stake pocket to get the gas guard mounted. can't wait to be down with this project so i can get started on the next.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:59 PM   #13
'70_402

would there be any danger with the gas filler being right by an electrical source as it would be when it was mounted by the side marker lamp??? spark+gas fumes=fire
Old 03-03-2004, 07:02 PM   #14
superfly68

i would imagine that aren't as safe as in the bed but the bulb is in the marker and is sealed. Not to mentions that with the splash guard and cap i doubt there would be anough fumes to ignite anything. I'm not the expert though! i guess you would have to remember to turn off your lights when you fill up!
Old 03-03-2004, 07:08 PM   #15
superfly68

just to update everyone i have the tank mounted and all lines run but not connected. i had my buddy use his plasma cutter on the inside of the bed to allow me access to the filler. HOWEVER, i didn't cut into the stake pocket as i thought that would compromise the strength of it. SO, now as am trying to mount the splash guard which will mount the filler nozzle, i am finding that there just isn't enough room. I'll take pictures soon... just wait to cut more of it out and weld in some tabs in the corners to drill through and attach the splash and i'm down. Well, then i can break it back down, clean it up and paint it.
I'll keep you posted! very excited though when i finally got the marker functioning! BTW i had to shim out the gas door behind the sheet metal in order for it to close flush!
Old 03-03-2004, 07:41 PM   #16
superfly68

here are some pics...

closed...
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2004, 07:42 PM   #17
superfly68

open....

you can see where i had to weld in some "tabs" for the screws to set in.... and where i need to do that on the other side.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2004, 07:43 PM   #18
superfly68

inside of bed...
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2004, 01:48 AM   #19
jorgensensc

Looks good! Glad to see you adapted it well for a fleetside. I apologize if some of my directions weren't too clear. Looks Great though!

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
Old 03-25-2004, 02:10 PM   #20
superfly68

your directions were great! just had to addapt a little for the fleetside. can't wait to finish it but i haven't got around to it yet.

all i have to do is mount the splash guard and then figure out how i want to seal up the inside of the bed!
don't really want to weld a "L" shaped piece in because i don't think i'd ever be able to get to the hinge again....

am thinking that i'll fab the piece and use a sheet metal screw or two to hold it in place and silicone around the edges to secure it.
not as clean as welding it in but i'll be able to work on the filler again if i ever need to. what do you think? i am open to suggestions...
Old 09-10-2004, 02:50 PM   #21
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The rear license plate would be just as low as the tank, and probably loer than the top of the tank. If you got it to work, it'd be a PITA to fill up.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:58 PM   #22
superfly68

yep...the top of the filler on the tank is about 1/2 inch below the bed. unless you had a different tank i don't think it would work. of course if you were bagged you could slam the front and sky the rear to get it filled!