The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
GMJimmy

Lower ball joint question!!

Years ago I remember having to replace entire lower control arms in a lot of cars because replacement pressed in ball joints didn't fit tight enough and could fall out. I've even seen where people tack welded them to keep them from falling out. That all changed when Moog came out with their REPLACEMENT Problem solver lower ball joint that was made a little larger with more aggressive serrations to hold them in place. This saved the lower control arm from the scrap bin for another pile of miles which usually made it to the end of the vehicles life. So here I am needing to replace my lower control arms in my 68 C10 because the threads the bushing screws into on one of the arms is stripped from previous owners attempted repairs and my new repop control arms (which I'm told are high quality??) don't have new ball joints installed. I have replaced OE ball joints with Problem solvers in a lot of cars over the years and they do fit tight, sometimes real tight, so my question is, has anybody here installed problem solvers in new repop A arms? Are there manufacturers that make standard size ball joints? TRW maybe?
Thanks
Jim
GMJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
cmg96

Re: Lower ball joint question!!

I ordered the upper and lower control arms from brother's and have the moog ball joints. I can keep you posted on fit and feel.
1969 GMC 1500 - looooooooong bed
If it's not broke, then I haven't touched it yet.
CMG96 = 69GMC
cmg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
GMJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg96 View Post
I ordered the upper and lower control arms from brother's and have the moog ball joints. I can keep you posted on fit and feel.
Thanks! I already ordered the lower control arms and have the Moog ball joints (K6023) so just waiting for the A arms to be delivered. One thing I really didn't think about is all replacement BJ's are a little over sized now so it doesn't really matter which ones you buy. Still interested in how it goes for you though.
Thanks
Jim
Old 01-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
cmg96

Where did you order your lowers from?
1969 GMC 1500 - looooooooong bed
If it's not broke, then I haven't touched it yet.
CMG96 = 69GMC
cmg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #5
GMJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg96 View Post
Where did you order your lowers from?
Well being in Canada I don't have a lot of choices for this stuff. I either get it from the usual places like Summit Racing, LMC, Classic Industries, Brothers etc. or from a local truck parts supplier here. He gets his stuff from one of these places anyway. If I buy from the States and ship it here it works out to be about the same cost when you consider the difference in our dollar these days. Things like this were much easier when I lived in California.