The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #1
slowcpe

Ridetech StreetGrip vs. BellTech for a 6/4 drop

So I bought a '72 C10 to tool around in while I build my '67 C10 because I got a little carried away. This is the preface for this thread.

When I bought the truck I robbed the CPP modular spindles from the '67, cut a coil out of the front and put a used set of CPP 4" drop springs on the rear with what I believe to be original '72 shocks. Ride and handling is far less than stellar. The truck needs shocks and a trac-bar really bad. I do drive this truck weekly and want something a little more fun given there's no end in sight for the completion of the '67.

So long story short I'm going to improve ride and handling this winter. Here are my two options and interested in other people's opinions.

Option 1: RideTech StreetGrip

Given I live about an hour away from RideTech's headquarters, running their shocks and air management on my '67, and have personally been in their '72 StreetGrip truck I tend to gravitate towards their products. When I drove their truck the ride and handling was great. The only issue I have is the cost which I know is primarily in their shocks. See my preface for the main reason I don't want to go that route. Not sure if my '72 is worth putting that high of quality parts on it. But I still need a set of spindles for the '67 and I could test fit their MuscleBar on the '67 to see if it'll work with my Porterbuilt parts.

Option 2: Ridetech/Deadend Garage/CPP

This setup would consist of Ridetech's springs/shocks, Deadend's trac-bar and shock relocators, 2" drop blocks I currently have, and CPP spindles/front sway bar. I don't think I really need a c-notch with a 6/4 drop and already have 2" drop blocks.

I can save close to $1000 by going this route but will still need to purchase new spindles so the difference is closer to $600.

Option 3: Belltech/Deadend Garage/CPP

This setup would be using Belltech springs/shocks, Deadend's trac-bar/shock relocators, 2" drop blocks, and CPP spindles/front sway bar. This would be roughly another $500 savings or $1500 total from the StreetGrip or about $1100 factoring in spindles.

Any opinions/experiences with any of these products?
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold

Last edited by slowcpe; 12-28-2018 at 12:11 AM.
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Ridetech StreetGrip vs. BellTech for a 6/4 drop

Here is my thoughts. Get the spindles from who ever you like, put 2" front springs in it and the belltech are good springs, use the belltech street performance shocks as they are doing well under mine. Put 5" springs in it and cut your 2" blocks to 1" and machine about 2 1/2 degrees into the them to fix the pinion angle. Use the Early classics super track bar and their shock relocators. Replace the rubber bump stops front and rear with the one for traction bars. For a front sway bar i like the stock 1" bar off a 73 to 87 truck. Handles well but not overly stiff.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
slowcpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Here is my thoughts. Get the spindles from who ever you like, put 2" front springs in it and the belltech are good springs, use the belltech street performance shocks as they are doing well under mine. Put 5" springs in it and cut your 2" blocks to 1" and machine about 2 1/2 degrees into the them to fix the pinion angle. Use the Early classics super track bar and their shock relocators. Replace the rubber bump stops front and rear with the one for traction bars. For a front sway bar i like the stock 1" bar off a 73 to 87 truck. Handles well but not overly stiff.
Jimmy
Thank you for your input.

I got a quote from Travis at AZ Pro Performance and the BellTech shocks and springs are too reasonable for me not to try. Plus when I was in high school I would’ve killed for a ‘72 C10 with a BellTech suspension.

I’ll look at the ECE parts but I’ve been bugging Deadend Garage for a while and he’s been great at answering my questions. Plus they seem to make pretty nice parts for the money.

I’ve been looking for a square body sway bar for a while but haven’t found one local.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
68Stepbed

In all honesty, the Ridetech system is very well engineered and is going to be the best overall with the ease of one-stop shopping.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
slowcpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
In all honesty, the Ridetech system is very well engineered and is going to be the best overall with the ease of one-stop shopping.
I’m not denying that one bit. In fact if this was my only truck and money was not much of an object there would be no question. However I am building another truck and the more I spend on this one the less I can on the other.

I guess I’m just trying to justify my decision to either spend more or spend less.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #6
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
I’m not denying that one bit. In fact if this was my only truck and money was not much of an object there would be no question. However I am building another truck and the more I spend on this one the less I can on the other.

I guess I’m just trying to justify my decision to either spend more or spend less.
Gotcha! In my experience with these trucks and different suspension components, I've discovered that ECE is my favorite for simple static drops. The coil springs drop the amount as advertised, and theyre customer service is top notch. My only complaint with ECE is the KYB shocks they sell with the kits. There's several threads discussing other shock options with the ECE 4/6 kits that work much better. ECE also offers the correct length Ridetech shocks as an upgrade, but you have to ask for them.

That said, I understand the purpose of getting good deals to save for the other project. I would start in the classified section. You can find some good deals on used parts or someone selling parts after changing direction on their project.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #7
slowcpe

I've spent way more time exhausting my options then I should have. After speaking to one of the guys at Ridetech and my local dealer, I've decided its best to just buy the whole kit. By piecing my own kit together will only yield a few hundred dollar difference which could easily be made back up in installation and overall performance.

It's way more than I ever expected to spend on this truck but I do really enjoy driving it and should like it that much more.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
I've spent way more time exhausting my options then I should have. After speaking to one of the guys at Ridetech and my local dealer, I've decided its best to just buy the whole kit. By piecing my own kit together will only yield a few hundred dollar difference which could easily be made back up in installation and overall performance.

It's way more than I ever expected to spend on this truck but I do really enjoy driving it and should like it that much more.
It's funny how those salesmen can convince someone so easily!