The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
scherpich

Issues with charging system

So I am having trouble keeping my battery charged, I charge it until my trickle charger says it's good, and after 2 starts with my truck it is struggling again. I've had my alternator (1-wire 90A, brand new) load tested, and the battery independently tested, and both are good. The wiring is a brand-new Painless 18 circuit setup.

Are my grounds faulty? I've relocated my battery to the rear, and grounded the negative terminal to the frame. The motor is also grounded. The battery cable is 2 awg from Home Depot. I also use a Ford-style remote solenoid, which shouldn't really matter.
Attached Images

scherpich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
bigmac73

Re: Issues with charging system

i had a similar problem, chased a drain for ever, found out that my stereo had shorted internal and was draining the battery down through the memory wire,
something is shorting out and draining??

or did you have the starter checked out, maybe it is pulling too many amps??
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
67 chevelle

what is your running voltage ?
i dont like 1 wires , 3 wires with remote sensing work better with the sesing wire coming from the fuse block side

read this http://madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
mud.man.rj

Put a voltmeter on the battery with it at idle and see if it is charging 13.8 v min with at least the heater or headlights on. if it isn't rev it up a bit to like 1,500 and see if the voltage increases, the 1 wire alts need a smaller pulley sometimes or won't charge enough at idle. How old is the battery, have seen many battery's not run the car/truck under load and tries to run on the alt only. The alt is made to replace voltage being used from the battery not supply from itself so if the battery is the problem won't charge properly, easy check is to try another battery for the test if in doubt, then you have 2 to compare. Grounds are important as mentioned, 1 from batt to frame, from frame to engine, from engine to firewall for gauges to work properly. I even add anothe from batt to rad support.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
67 chevelle

14.2 is a good voltage when running , you should have a ground directly to the block , and another from the battery to the frame
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
scherpich

Yes, I have grounded from the batt to the frame, and my running voltage is between 13.8 and 14.2 volts while running. I haven't noticed any shorts anywhere, with the brand new wiring system, and my starter is also brand new, bought it yesterday.
scherpich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
mud.man.rj

Sounds like you have covered all your bases but the battery, try another if you have one or can borrow one.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
oklalawnboy

Disconnect the ground wire from battery, hook a test light between wire and neg battery post. It should barely glow or not at all if everything is turned off (with exception of radio clock). If it is shining bright, something is on and draining your battery. Find out what's on (pull fuses etc) and fix it.
76 Monte Carlo
83 Chevy short wide Silverado
96 Mazda Miata, 2000 Allegro Bus
oklalawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
cool68

if one wire why are there two wires hooked to alternator? wire to solenoid from alt looks small. have a fusible link in hot wire to solenoid. why is solenoid on drivers side instead of closer to starter? guess that your battery is on drivers side of truck? install a large style master disconnect near battery - that way you can shut off all power. with battery remote location really need to have one with extra cranking amps.
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote