The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #51
C-mater

Re: Ragged to Running

My hood was warped and covered in surface rust but otherwise really solid. Tried our best to "un-warp" the hood but no luck. Dad was able to get it shutting and opening easily after I grabbed some new springs. A little elbow grease and bottle of CLR later resulted in an awesome patina.

First pic shows drive side complete before I moved to the pass side.
Attached Images

C-mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #52
C-mater

Major surgery continued on the drive side fender and bedside so started working on the pass side. It was not nearly as rotten as the drive side...kinda odd. All the rear lights were busted and/or fried so I ordered all new stuff from SO KY Classics. Main harness from cab to back was good but I did have to grab the taillight harness. Everything works great now. Still need to fix the slop in my steering column to keep the backup lights on without holding the shift lever.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #53
In The Ten Ring

Looking great!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #54
Boog
laying low

Ya'll have come a long way with it. Nothing like saving the old sheet metal, cutting, welding and grinding their way back to use them again. You have got some good help too. Enjoy this time with them.
I guess I missed the engine, trans and rear end specs?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #55
C-mater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Ya'll have come a long way with it. Nothing like saving the old sheet metal, cutting, welding and grinding their way back to use them again. You have got some good help too. Enjoy this time with them.
I guess I missed the engine, trans and rear end specs?
Sorry about that. Engine is a 73 model 2 bolt 350 that was in it when I got it. Trans and rear are org to the truck = 3 OTT with an open 3.73 geared 12 bolt. I did rebuild the top end of the motor using the 3998993 cast heads with a new Erson E11024 cam and lifters. Also gave it a new oil pump, timing chain and switched from points to HEI. Intake is Edelbrock Performer with a 600 CFM manual choke carb. Exhaust is cast ram horns I found at swap meet running through 2.5" knock off flow masters from Thrush. The truck sounds GREAT.

Wish I would have gone thorough the bottom end since I drive the thing so much now. Just waiting for it to spin a bearing...
Old 01-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #56
C-mater

So Dad finally finished up the sheet metal work on the drive fender. We loose fitted it to the truck to check out the rake. It's a 2/4 drop because I didn't want to spend too much + I wanted a decent ride. This pic made me regret not going 3/5. Regarding the fender - the entire area that bolted to the bed, most of the tire bucket and both bottoms are new metal.

BTW - I really HATE those rollers but they were cheap and served the purpose during the build.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #57
C-mater

It's Feb 25th 2017 and I had the itch to drive it. Note - there is a similar pic in the road earlier in my thread right after I dropped the motor in the truck.. That pic minus the bed, hood and grill was early Oct 2016. This is the first time the truck had seen a gas station in who knows how many years!

There were plenty of odd looks from other folks on the road. If they didn't see the thing coming they sure heard the straight headers.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #58
C-mater

With it gassed up I decided to cruise around the "hood". We live close to the Beam distillery so you'll see a common background in many of my posts. First pic on my way, second pic is at the newly remolded visitor center and third is heading back home.

Man those rollers are ugly...oh and the tires were covered in dry rot cracks. Put Dad on notice that he might have to fire up the truck and trailer for a lift but we made it back just fine.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #59
Boog
laying low

You can get 1 more inch drop in the front by cutting 1/2 coil off the bottom of the coils to get you that 3".
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #60
dell72

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-mater View Post
Regarding the fender - the entire area that bolted to the bed, most of the tire bucket and both bottoms are new metal.
Any pics of the rust repair on the driver side fender? My 69 has rust in the spare wheel bucket that will need attention in the near future.
dell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:10 PM   #61
C-mater

We blended the various primer coated parts to match the rest of the truck as best as possible after everything was bolted on. I also Tire Racked some Hankook Optimo's when they went on sale. Grabbed my blasted steelies then trailered it up to the local tire shop for the install and alignment.

Look how close we were able to "eye ball" the front end (see last pic).

Date is 4/2/17
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #62
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!

Just saw that you were in Bardstown Ky, I was through there a couple weeks ago visiting a customer in E-town. Stopped back in Bardstown to eat at Mammys Kitchen and visited the Ky Gun Co. Met some awesome people in the area, thoroughly enjoyed my visit. Was cool how the whole town smelled like sour mash.......was hoping to find some deer hunting land so I would have an excuse to come back sooner but no luck.

Love the steelies and COPO caps on your truck, have the same set up that's going to go on my 72....eventually?
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #63
C-mater

So here it is complete. The fam was happy that I finally got it done so they decided to include it in our annual Christmas cards.
Attached Images