The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2018, 12:53 AM   #1
AK56

New Stepside fenders?

Hello everybody. I have been searching for a set of stepside fenders up here in Alaska and having no luck. Considering buying repops. I have read the stories on the bad fitment of new sheet metal but I’m thinking since the only gap (other than the bedside) would be to the steps maybe it won’t be too bad? Any thoughts on that?
Any recommendations on which vendors to buy from?
AK56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: New Stepside fenders?

your correct on your assumption on the fit....rear fenders are the one repop that you can get away with....they won't be as heavy a metal as originals.....from what I've read I think there's only a couple of manufacturers. ..then they get different suppliers names on the box.....the set ive got says triplus....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
Purcell69

You may look in to Tucker's Truck Parts in Las Vegas, NV. I don't know who supplies their sheet metal products but they seem to have just about everything, including complete cab shells. If I recall correctly, their parts are supposed to be stamped from the original dies.

-Joe
Old 06-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
AK56

Thanks for the input. The more I research it looks like it will cost me about 900$ to land a new set up in here in Alaska. For that I might be able to get my old set reworked.
I just need to find a new body guy. I was using a really cool talented guy. He opened his own shop and produced some award winning work. Had several years of custom work lined up.
He got into drugs and alcohol, lost his business and family in a span of about 6 months. Is now in and out of jail. Really hard to watch a talent like that go down in flames. Hopefully he will turn it around some day.
I tried to tackle it myself but my bad back just can’t handle that kind of repetitive work.
Geeze, sorry for the depressing post. I’m actually a pretty upbeat guy!
Old 06-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
Purcell69

Addiction is a destructive and slippery slope that requires strength and dedication to overcome. sadly, many people can't get out of that trap once they are in it.

Reproduction steel isn't cheap, and fenders are a bit big to ship. Add to that the trip to AK and I can see how they would get so expensive so quickly. I don't know if you make it back to the lower 48 often, but you may be able to score some decent ones in eastern Washington or Idaho, where rust isn't as prevalent. Since those fenders were used from 1955-1966, there is bound to be some good options out there, it is just a matter of getting them from where ever the are, back to you.

-Joe
Old 06-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
AK56

Totally agree. I have been on and off pain meds for 15 years or so with my back.
They scare the hell out of me. They help and make life a bit easier but I can sure see how easy it would be to slip down that slope.

Yeah the freight costs kill me up here. I have been surfing Seattle Craigslist for awhile. Just missed a nice set the other day. Maybe something will pop up one of these days.