The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Ipaintgrt

Suicide doors on a 56? Looking for a how to!

I can't believe that I havent found this forum sooner. There are soooo many talented people here, and it is totally awesome to be able to see what other people have been doing to there rides!! It has motivated me to work on my truck, and also given me sooo many ideas.
So I'm thinking of doing suicide doors on my truck. I have found some threads on different years of trucks, but I was wondering if anyone has a build thread, or a how too suicide door a 55-59. Thank you to all that post pics of there builds, it gives me allot of motivation to work on my truck.
S
Ipaintgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Number 9

Re: Suicide doors on a 56? Looking for a how to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipaintgrt View Post
I can't believe that I havent found this forum sooner. There are soooo many talented people here, and it is totally awesome to be able to see what other people have been doing to there rides!! It has motivated me to work on my truck, and also given me sooo many ideas.
So I'm thinking of doing suicide doors on my truck. I have found some threads on different years of trucks, but I was wondering if anyone has a build thread, or a how too suicide door a 55-59. Thank you to all that post pics of there builds, it gives me allot of motivation to work on my truck.
S
What else do you want to do. Suicide doors would have never entered my mind
on 55-59 trucks. Actually I guess I just don't like the look so guess I'm biased.
Same with lambo doors. But that is Just me and you should go for it if you like
them. Would be just like any other suicide door project.
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
72hotrodder
THE TOY STORE

its comes down to ability. do you think you are good enuff to attempt this on your truck? it is a very hard and labor intensive mod that requires alot of talent in fab work.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #4
Kim57

This is a truck with suicide doors. He has 1 pic of the hinges installed. If you can contact him he may be able to help you.
Kim
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2301030
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:54 AM   #5
Ipaintgrt

I have been accumulating parts, and I'm getting close to installing a lt1, 4l60e
, I have a 71 camaro subframe on my truck, triangulated 4 link, and a narrowed 9 inch with disk brakes. I have had my truck for 30 years. Raising kids and life have kept this project from being finished. I have over 25 years of body and paint experience in collision repair,and custom paint work. No doubt this it is a big job, but I think I can handle it. I have seen a few that have had suicide doors and I think they are a very unique mod and they look very cool. I'm also going to section my truck. I just like being as informed as possible and I was looking for some info from someone who has done this on there truck. There is a guy on here that goes by Mixxer, and he has a pic of his truck that has suicide doors. I PM'd him so I may find out more. I have read that hinges from an early 70's Jeep Grand Cherokee had the perfect hinges, and then it said also 50's-60's chev trucks hinges are very desirable. I don't know why you couldn't use the factory hinges that are on my truck.
This site has allot of great information, by some very talented people. I like to get some of the benefit of other peoples experience, it is very usefull and helpfull. It shouldn't just be guys asking stupid questions.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Hey man, you can ask any question you want and there are no dumb questions. Anyway make no excuses for what you like and what you find cool and build you truck the way you want. If everyone's truck was the same it would be a boring world. You should not have to give your resume to ask a question although sometimes people make you feel that way. We learn skills through trying, sometimes failing, and trying again. I can't answer your about the doors because I've never done it, but I know I could do it if I wanted to. I'm sure with your experience you will be ok, so ask all the questions you need answered because someone has done what you want to do before.

Last edited by Kabwe; 11-29-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Ipaintgrt

Thanks Kabwe, your build is one of the first builds that I have been following. It looks great! I think your doing a great job. It is soo hard to stay focused on your projects all the time. I have had my truck sooo long that I don't just want to have just another 56 truck, I would like to make some mods to make it stand out from the rest. I don't have a large budget like some guys do, so I have to do the things that I can do. So I'm a good painter and bodyman so those are the types of mods that I can do. I bought a 95 Caprice and will use the drivetrain for my truck, as well as electric windows, locks, etc. Anyways, looking forward to following your build, and thanks for the kind words. S
Old 11-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
moonshinner

looking at the hinges on my 58 doors you should be able to use the left door hinges on the right side and the right hinges on the left side do the same with the mounting plates on the doors you can cut the pockets out of the cowl and relocate them into the door post lots of time and measuring and#%&^*+#@ words
moonshinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinner View Post
looking at the hinges on my 58 doors you should be able to use the left door hinges on the right side and the right hinges on the left side do the same with the mounting plates on the doors you can cut the pockets out of the cowl and relocate them into the door post lots of time and measuring and#%&^*+#@ words
I believe the hinges are the same on either side. I think there is only top and bottom.
Kim
Old 11-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Jack60

My 55 Cameo will be getting suicide doors because I like them.
I have been researching this same mod, one place sells plans to make your own hinges, and the other place sells kits { not to cheap }.
Keep us posted what you do, then you can give me some hints....

http://www.rodplans.com/index.php?op...d=77&Itemid=86

http://www.*****************/suicide-...lete-hinge-kit
Jack60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
kev2809
low n' slo

im not sure if this would help, but have you tried the kit that suicidedoors sells? i dont know if they are universal or not, but they look beefy and they arent that expensive

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipaintgrt View Post
Thanks Kabwe, your build is one of the first builds that I have been following. It looks great! I think your doing a great job. It is soo hard to stay focused on your projects all the time. I have had my truck sooo long that I don't just want to have just another 56 truck, I would like to make some mods to make it stand out from the rest. I don't have a large budget like some guys do, so I have to do the things that I can do. So I'm a good painter and bodyman so those are the types of mods that I can do. I bought a 95 Caprice and will use the drivetrain for my truck, as well as electric windows, locks, etc. Anyways, looking forward to following your build, and thanks for the kind words. S
No problem man, I try to encourage people not discourage them, if you don't try you have no idea what your capable of . Thanks for the comments about my build and post pics of your project and keep us updated.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
hotrodsbyray

I can't think of the company right off top my head but there is one advertising on the web that uses one big honking heavy duty hinge per door to do suicides that has a dual action - therefore opens almost 180 degrees. Expensive but that is the way I was considering going.
hotrodsbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodsbyray View Post
I can't think of the company right off top my head but there is one advertising on the web that uses one big honking heavy duty hinge per door to do suicides that has a dual action - therefore opens almost 180 degrees. Expensive but that is the way I was considering going.
Is this it?
http://www.streetdreamsbyross.com/hinges_suicide.php
Kim
Old 11-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
kev2809
low n' slo

wow, $890 a set...

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #16
Ipaintgrt

Wow!!! $890, That seems alittle steep! That is why I was wanting to know from someone who has done this. I think you could use the hinges from the truck. I was hoping to hear from someone who has done this just to hear how they did it, If they used the mid 70's Jeep Grand Cherokee hinges or what. But I think you guys are right, The stock hinges should work. I have a couple of side jobs going, and when I finish them, I will post some picks of my build. I'm not big on just buying a kit and bolting it on. For one I'm on a pretty tight budget, and two, I think if you have some smarts you can figure out how to do things by a little research on what your doing and some advice from a few guys that have done it. Anyways, thanks for all the help guys. This website is really awesome!! Since finding it I have spent hours looking at builds, and what other guys are doing.
S
Old 11-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #17
Coronas56

I found this one. http://www.fbirides.com/product.asp?idno=272608
Old 11-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #18
Coronas56

And another http://www.gtfactory.jp/180.htm
Old 11-30-2009, 04:13 AM   #19
Ipaintgrt

I was looking through the builds and found a good example. Check out post #19

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341787