The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
Nachos82

Front caliper interoperability

Question for you guys who are in the know. I have an 82 K10 that I want to get back to a road worthy point. Part of this effort will be refreshing the front brake system (rotors, calipers, pads, lines, etc.).

From what I recall, but it is slightly fuzzy data, the front and rear axles have been swapped out with 77 model ones. I did some brief checking on rockauto and it appears the part numbers are different between a 77 and an 82.

The question for everyone is if this is actually correct, or is the actual year not important for the part? It will be roughly a week or so until I can get the truck into a garage to start taking things apart and physically look at what I have.
Nachos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
E-TN C10

Re: Front caliper interoperability

I'm not sure on the 4wd trucks but I know the 2wd trucks use two different rotor thicknesses. The 81-up trucks are 1" and the 80 and older trucks typically have 1.25" rotors if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure there are some variances ,but id look into that on the 4wd, and maybe look up part numbers for what you have on the truck now. Maybe someone with some 4wd knowledge will chime in!
E-TN C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
Nachos82

Appreciate the response. I will take a look for part #s when I start getting into things and measure up stuff to look for those sorts of differences.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
Nachos82

Finally got a chance to tear into the truck. So much crusty rust I can't find any part numbers, but searching around at places with pictures online show me a '77 caliper looks like what I have now. This all lines up with what I sort of expected to find.

Photo of the rear where you can see the "ears" around the brake line. This is what I am seeing for a '77 and for an '82 it is more of an angled, flat mounting.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
Nachos82

The better I search and the more pictures I find I am questioning myself now. It now seems to better match the actual year it should be, 82.

The passenger side was way more clear without rust and I think I got a better shot of it to match to images online.
Attached Images