The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Reproduction steering wheel question

So pretty much everything I have read about repro steering wheels is that they are flimsy and junky.

Does anyone know why? Is the metal ring of the wheel made out of crappy steel? Is the plastic they use flimsy? What is it exactly that makes repro wheel not worth the money?

I have a bunch of cracked steering wheels and it looks like it takes a ton of work to repair them correctly. And then it seems like most of them just end up cracked again.

A NOS wheel of any type is unobtanium, even a super nice used wheel is crazy priced now. How bad can a repro wheel be considering the other options available?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
davischevy

Re: Reproduction steering wheel question

I have some of both.

The repro wheels look nice and believe it or not you get used to the feel after a while.

My son in law has repro's on both his trucks and he doesn't think anything about it, because he has never had an original.

I snagged a nicely grained wheel a while back with a few nicks in the lower rim. I took black lacquer and kept building up the nicks, and it came out nice.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I bought a repro wheel in '01 and after a few years it cracked and separated at TDC. I could see the rod stock used in the rim was half the size of OEM. It would flex way more than the OEM. At some point a new batch got made and those were said to be more firm but I haven't heard anything beyond that. I'm sure someone here has or has had one to tell how well they hold up. They've been out a good while now.

EDIT: Other Larry might have other wheel on other truck

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #4
davischevy

Probably.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

My friend bought a repop 67-8 wheel. One winter in the great white north and it cracked all to $h*t.
1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
Curtb1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
EDIT: Other Larry might have other wheel on other truck

Here is my aftermarket experience. I seen a sweet looking wheel in a wrecked truck in the junkyard and hopped in all excited that I found a unicorn... I put my hands on the wheel and all those dreams and hopes were shattered. It was like jello compared to an oem one and just didn't feel right to me but as davischevy said you probably would get used to it. I think they have a very small metal ring and not a lot of reinforcement in the center cross section. That said its still rests in the truck graveyard.
My experience on fixing oem wheels has been a learning one to say the least. I've restored one that was cracked pretty bad and it took 2 days to prep for paint. It cracked again but not bad after the repair. I learned from my mistakes on the first one and I'm in the process of another (hourglassed the cracks instead of just V'ing them out). It had less cracks then the first and took 1 day to prep. Hopefully it will hold up better because it wasn't bad to begin with and I'm experimenting with a different process. They just take a lot of time and patience to repair. I fully understand why an uncracked oem one is priced the way they are now.

My attempt to match the grain with a dremel, also very useful tool in reaming out the cracks if you go that route.
Attached Images

Curtb1971 is offline   Reply With Quote