The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Mattchu60

Would like input on aftermarket bedsides

I got a big dent in one of my bedsides. I am going to be repainting the truck in the future, so I'd like to replace the whole beside with a new one. I've taken them off before and its pretty strait forward, so that doesn't worry me.

Classic Parts carries a long box side for my truck (square hole) for about $400.

I hear that the aftermarket fenders are not great, but haven't heard much about bedsides.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has used an aftermarket bedside, does it fit pretty much like a stock one? The ad says its same thickness and bends as OEM.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
Jaysonb

Re: Would like input on aftermarket bedsides

I have used aftermarket bed sides on the last 2 trucks I've built. I was able to make them work, but the fit is not very good right out of the box. With a little work they fit fine though. The trouble areas that I remember are where the top of the bed sides fit onto the end panel, the taillight openings, and getting g the tailgate to bed side gaps close from side to side. A hammer, dolly, cutoff wheel, and welder will make them fit fine.
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
Jaysonb

These are the 2 trucks I used the aftermarket bed sides on. And a couple of the problem areas I ran into. They are a good solution if you have a little skill, and take your time.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #4
Mattchu60

It looks like your end result turned out really nice!

In your 2nd picture, did you have to remove some material and then re-weld it back together?

1st picture looks like you had to open up the area where the front panel fits under the bedside - is that right?

The sides look good after painting- nice strait look to them.

Another question - do the aftermarket ones come with the captive nuts welded one the panel like the factory ones?
Old 01-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #5
Jaysonb

In the first picture, that is how the side fit out of the box, the aftermarket front panel was welded together alittle off, so that made it worse. I started drilling out spot welds untill I could get things to move enough in the right direction to make it work. The second picture, I sliced down the edge of the box side, and tapped the edge over to make the gap correct, then rewelded. I have had to do that on all the aftermarket box sides.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
Jaysonb

Yes they have all of the nuts welded in, but you will have to enlarge holes along the way to make things line up, and the sides are not very straight when you get them, after you get them to fit, you will have to spend time doing the body work to make them straight.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
Mattchu60

I appreciate your responses - I'm not sure i could handle the cutting and re-welding for the tailgate panel gap - I'm not that great of a welder.

I would imagine for paint prep - does several coats of fill primer and sanding usually get the panels pretty flat? I can paint fine, but I have little experience with cutting/rewelding panels.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #8
RADustin

I'd wait and look for clean originals.

I just got my bed in primer and it was a nightmare. I used all original parts except for the bedsides. Both bedsides needed metal work as shown above to get the front bulkhead to fit, to move the edge against the tailgate, reshape the taillight holes completely, and flatten the tops of the bedsides.

I believe it was the passenger side beside you can visually tell the outer skin is not placed corrected on the inner frame. This made it where when I shut the tailgate originally one side shut and the other side was 3/8"-1/2" out from shutting. It took alot of little fudging here and there and some metal work to redo the backs of both the bedsides.

Then to get them paint ready( and maybe I'm a little more particular than others) but I skimmed them twice in filler and blocked out. Then I polyester primed, blocked that, then urethane. All of this ontop of epoxy that I put onto the e-coat. It's not that they are really bad(the body lines are) but they are just real wavy.

I bought after market bedsides to speed up my project and reduce the amount of body work. In the end I think they cost me about a month extra of time vs using some good OE bedsides. Not to mention they are thinner metal. If/when they need replacing I will be sourcing good OE bedsides and happily junking them. For now they will work.
RADustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Mattchu60

I appreciate the responses - sounds like OEM may be best - honestly OEM is getting pretty tough to source any more. I live in Iowa, everything is rusted out here.

Is there any place that sells sheetmetal from the south that ships? A guy should just have a whole parts truck shipped up here.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
RADustin

yes there are a few people.

A big one is from texas outside of Dallas. Texas square bodies.

Another is Jeff from Arizona. AZpartslocator
RADustin is offline   Reply With Quote