The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2021, 08:49 PM   #1
paul blair

1969 K/10 front brake hose removal?

I have to change the driver side front brake hose. Truck has manual drum brakes. Looks like a bolt goes through the brake line distribution block and threads into the brake hose end. Question: is there sealing washers between the bolt, block and hose end like on banjo fittings. I haven't taken it apart yet and the power steering pump is in the way. Thanks for any info.........
paul blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
palallin

Re: 1969 K/10 front brake hose removal?

I did this job just about a year and a half ago. I do not remember the details of the fittings, but let me give you this much advice: while there, change BOTH hoses. If one hose is bad, the other is nearly almost just as bad. I had to undo all the hard lines in the front in order to get the junction block apart. You can loosen the pump to make things just a tad easier.

In fact, I'd recommend doing everything from the hose to the drums at once.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
ssjody

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul blair View Post
I have to change the driver side front brake hose. Truck has manual drum brakes. Looks like a bolt goes through the brake line distribution block and threads into the brake hose end. Question: is there sealing washers between the bolt, block and hose end like on banjo fittings. I haven't taken it apart yet and the power steering pump is in the way. Thanks for any info.........
Yes, there is a copper washer seal between the bolt head and the distribution block. Just had mine apart the other day and there was definitely one there.
ssjody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
paul blair

Thanks for the info...
Old 03-13-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
Jim Boy

Smile Re: 1969 K/10 front brake hose removal?

There are washers there but I don't think they are for sealing. I think they are there to prevent the two different metals, wheel cylinder and hose end , from having a reaction with each other. If you had to change the hose you would never get them apart over time. There is no gasket at the rear so why just in the front. Now, I have been known to be wrong cause I have been told. Have a good one eh!
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:38 AM   #6
ssjody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boy View Post
There are washers there but I don't think they are for sealing. I think they are there to prevent the two different metals, wheel cylinder and hose end , from having a reaction with each other. If you had to change the hose you would never get them apart over time. There is no gasket at the rear so why just in the front. Now, I have been known to be wrong cause I have been told. Have a good one eh!
The part the Paul is talking about is a distribution block that mounts to the frame. There's a hard line coming out of each end of the block and the bolt passes through the block. The bolt has a holes in it that allows the fluid to pass through it. The drivers side brake line attaches to the threaded end of the Bolt. The copper crush washer is there to seal it. Without it there would definitely be a leak.
ssjody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:03 AM   #7
Jim Boy

Angry Re: 1969 K/10 front brake hose removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjody View Post
The part the Paul is talking about is a distribution block that mounts to the frame. There's a hard line coming out of each end of the block and the bolt passes through the block. The bolt has a holes in it that allows the fluid to pass through it. The drivers side brake line attaches to the threaded end of the Bolt. The copper crush washer is there to seal it. Without it there would definitely be a leak.
Me bad!
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #8
paul blair

Thanks SSJODY for the information, I thought a sealing washer should be there. Good to know before I take apart. Happy Trails
Old 03-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #9
paul blair

Front brake lines removed today. PITA, gonna be the same with new lines. Two copper sealing washers in case any one wants to know.....
Attached Images