The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
forestb

window channel

I want to change the depth that the door glass sits in the channel that it is taped into. Right now it sits all the way down in the channel. My question is how does it need to be bottomed out to be safe? and if not how far from the bottom can I raise it before it is unsafe?
Attached Images

forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: window channel

You mean want to make the window reach its lowest point before it's flush with the bottom sill?
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #3
forestb

No I would like the channel that the glass sits in to not go as far as it currently does into the window frame when the window is rolled fully closed. I think I have about a quarter of an inch or so before the top of the glass is even with the bottom of the window frame when the window is down. The problem I am trying to solve is when the channel that the glass sits in makes contact with the belt line fuzzies it tends to push out the sheet metal.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:54 PM   #4
bigmoe

I was aware of this problem when I was doing my windows. If you search there is a lot of discussions. What I did was pinch the lower metal channel a bit thinner and I put some small shims in the bottom before gluing the glass back in with windshield urethane. If you go to a windshield shop near the end of the workday they will give you or sell you cheap a part tube because it will go hard on them by the next day anyway. I also used Precision felts which are supposed to fit the best.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=781815&page=2
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=686833
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
forestb

Thanks but I was a part of both of those threads. Maybe I will give that a try but I would still like to know the answer to my original question. Some of the guys on the other threads said that they placed it in the channel and then rolled it up to seat it in the proper position. I just wonder how much is safe.