The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #826
sboris

Re: Rat repair.

Hmmm.. Maybe the lube in it solidified after it cooled. Try squirting lube into the cylinder? Not sure if running the lock rod as you "jimmy" the key if that would help? Assuming nothing is binding. Got me..
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #827
swamp rat

Going slow but i have sprouted an oil can. Its about 3-4" around, cant upload a pic at the moment

I have been trying hard not to build up any heat, trying to keep each spot weld about 3" away from the next, one pass across the door then walked away for 15-20 minutes, then come back and grind the spots, come back in 15 minutes make sure its cool to the touch, pick a different spot, go across the door in 3' increments, wait 10 minutes, grind the spots, wait 10 minutes.... Repeat You get the idea.

The can is in the front of the door. I have not done any of the spot welding on the flange's..

Guess i may have to get out my shrinking disk when i'm done welding the skin in..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #828
swamp rat

Here's a pic, it pops about 2.5" radius around the tape, it still springs back to its original shape. Hoping at this point that it will firm up as i continue.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #829
swamp rat

Nothing much to report, still welding and cooling, definitely getting some waviness in the panel but gonna have to live with it, the oil canning spot firmed up. have maybe 10-15% of the seam left to weld then will do the spots on the folds.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #830
swamp rat

Well the front half of the door is looking pretty good, cant say the same for the back half. I didn't notice it when i stopped yesterday but the back corner of the skin had dipped in quite a bit, kinda football shapped about 4" X 6", the worst area is about 1/4" deep. I don't know if using my stud gun dent puller will be effective at popping it out. The arch that i tried to maintain across the width is now in a straight line. I have a small amount of welding left.

Ya know this keeps making me think that maybe flanging a replacement skin and bonding it in may possibly give a better result?

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #831
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
...Ya know this keeps making me think that maybe flanging a replacement skin and bonding it in may possibly give a better result?
I've had good luck doing that the few times I've tried it. Modern panel adhesives have come a long way and feature low porosity, exceptional bonding and minimal shrinkage. As long as you have a decent amount of bonding area, like 3/8" to 1/2" of flange overlap and a way to clamp the surfaces together while the adhesive sets, they work great.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:15 AM   #832
swamp rat

Well at this point i'm not sure i wanna cut it all out and start over..

I'm gonna try and get my arm in that door again tomorrow (no easy task) and see if i can bump things around a little bit.. and give the stud puller a shot..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #833
litew8

Sorry bout that - I was mistaken. It was post 735 I must not have looked at the posted name. These doors/fitment of panels were never perfect by any means from the factory. You're getting it done.

Quote:
Thanks for stopping by, ya know I'm not too sure if I'm brave or a glutton for punishment at this point, this door is frustrating as all get out.

As for the last project, i think you must have me mistaken for someone else, this is my first but hopefully not my last. Trying to teach myself how to be a body man is a major undertaking.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:59 PM   #834
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Sorry bout that - I was mistaken. It was post 735 I must not have looked at the posted name. These doors/fitment of panels were never perfect by any means from the factory. You're getting it done.
Oh Gees how i wish that was my truck!

Yea even the stock set of 67 doors i picked up are a bit wavy where mine had that arch. Not a lot of time to get much done today, hit a couple spot i missed yesterday, gonna attempt so move some metal around a little tomorrow. Working again this weekend..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #835
swamp rat

So nothing done yet, worked all weekend and not feeling to well today, spent my free time reading about body repair, its amazing how opinions vary about having no gap or leaving a gap, ect.. Kinda like an oil thread

While i'm ok with the body line contour from front to back on my door, basically its maintained a straight line, i am not happy with how the repair panel has sunk in between the spot weld seam and the bottom fold, I had all the edges are folded over before welding so trying to pull the surface out is just going to wedge the folds up against the inner shell tighter. I'm not going to slather that much bondo, just too thick.

My stock metal thickness is .043, the repair panel is .032. I called Tabco today and talked to Tim about my project and asked him about their door panel thicknesses he said theirs are .036, he said he was surprised mine were anything over .040 but i assured him i had the paint and rust removed before i mic'ed the surface. I went ahead and ordered 2 of their panels and headed out the door, he called me back in about 10 minutes and said if i had the time in 2 days he could reload the driver door die and try stamping a couple thicker pieces, the thickest being .046, he would include them free with my order and not charge me any more for shipping, all he wants in return is my feedback on which one i think works best.. Not that i think I'm the best guy to ask but i have come to hate the .032 stuff i got from Classic Industry's (Key parts i believe)

I'm not a fan of doing this but i think the only way i can do this skin replacement is to go ahead and cut an access hole in the bottom of the door that i can reach into so i can fine tune any warpage and planish the spots as I'm going, at least the access hole will be in a place that's not visible unless your laying on the ground. I just cannot reach all the way into the door from the inner access hole and run a hammer, let alone even see the skin for most of the door, even if the door is upside down or sideways.

So gonna start unfolding the folds first to see if some of the sunk down area springs back up first to see if the skin is pulling on the lower edge of the door, then start cutting the panel out slowly to minimize the heat build up.

I will not submit....

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #836
swamp rat

I did try pulling the surface up to restore some of the contour the other day, i succeeded to a point but also introduced some pretty bad oil canning, i didn't post this yesterday but this is why i gave up and ordered more skins..
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-16-2015, 05:24 PM   #837
rgunlock

I can't offer you much advise as none of my patches required that I run that long a weld, but know that I'm rooting for you!

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #838
ryanroo

I applaud your attitude. Sometimes learning sucks...Haha. I'm a greenhorn at panel work too. I have no doubt your finished product will be great. It's nice to hear of a company who listens and has good customer service. I'll be remembering that!

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #839
swamp rat

Thanks guys i appreciate it, i'll be honist, i think this door will be harder than any of the other panels i have to deal with, and this is a hell of a learning curve, thats ok tho.. When i get the thicker door panel and give it a 3rd go around i'll ether be successful or i'll be looking for a restoration shop LOL!

I admit i have been kicking the restoration shop around a bit because this is a very sentimental truck, but right now i just cannot sink that kind of money into it. once i get my bike back and payed off i'll have a better idea where i'm at as far as highering some work done.

I am really itching to have this truck done so i can work on the 67!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 06-18-2015 at 03:06 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:50 AM   #840
swamp rat

I just remembered something i wanted to ask about, the tires on my truck have all about maybe 500 miles on them now, i just noticed that on the front tires the little casting nubs or fingers are almost all worn off on the outside but not the inside, i figure my toe in must be out a little? but which way, too much toe in? or too little?

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #841
Vic1947

Quote:
I just remembered something i wanted to ask about, the tires on my truck have all about maybe 500 miles on them now, i just noticed that on the front tires the little casting nubs or fingers are almost all worn off on the outside but not the inside, i figure my toe in must be out a little? but which way, too much toe in? or too little?
Sounds like too much toe in, but uneven wear on one side of the tire could also be related to an incorrect camber setting. If the wear appears to be equal on both sides, I'd suspect the toe in is the culprit, though. On older vehicles, manufacturers didn't build much caster into the front suspension. That, plus the fact most vehicles were equipped with bias ply tires instead of radials, meant it was common for the toe in spec to be 1/8" to as much as 3/16". The increased toe in kept the car from wandering.

On modern vehicles that run radial tires and have several degrees of caster built in, the spec is more like zero to 1/16" max. The best approach on our trucks is to try to get as much caster as possible without compromising the camber. I like zero degrees of camber on the driver side and negative 1/4 degree on the passenger side to help keep the truck straight on roads that are crowned. Then set the toe in to 1/16" and you should have minimal scrubbing on the tires and decent handling. This is just my personal opinion and I'm sure there are guys who might have different thoughts on it. If you purchase aftermarket suspension components that increase camber, alter the spindle height and etc., you should follow the vendor's recommendations.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #842
ryanroo

Quote:
My best guess is the outsides show wear more because the way the axle geometry is set when you corner. It's pretty normal, so long as it isn't a large discrepancy. The angle of the ball joints and the positive caster setting forces the inside tire very hard on the outside edge. The same things act on the outside tire, but it tends to flatten out the effective camber instead of pushing it very positive. Then the truck pushes the outside tire through the corner so it the inertia forces that outside edge into the road harder. The effect is more pronounced with a wheel that has less back space. I don't mean to over explain, just here for reference. If it seems too heavy Vic has good advice.

Vic, these trucks with the 4x axle and leaf springs don't have much camber adjustment. It's set by the axle and it's usually(hopefully) zero. You can pretty easily mess with caster, and they like 3-6 positive.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #843
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
..these trucks with the 4x axle and leaf springs don't have much camber adjustment. It's set by the axle and it's usually(hopefully) zero. You can pretty easily mess with caster, and they like 3-6 positive.
Dang! 4X4! How did I forget that? Getting old is the pits!
Old 06-18-2015, 12:37 AM   #844
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Getting old is the pits!
Tell me, i'm a 55 year old in a 100 year old body! LOL!

No sweat Vic i look at it this way, when its time to work on the 67 i have a place to reference for the front end geometry..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 06-18-2015 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:40 AM   #845
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
My best guess is the outsides show wear more because the way the axle geometry is set when you corner. It's pretty normal, so long as it isn't a large discrepancy. The angle of the ball joints and the positive caster setting forces the inside tire very hard on the outside edge. The same things act on the outside tire, but it tends to flatten out the effective camber instead of pushing it very positive. Then the truck pushes the outside tire through the corner so it the inertia forces that outside edge into the road harder. The effect is more pronounced with a wheel that has less back space. I don't mean to over explain, just here for reference. If it seems too heavy Vic has good advice.
I was debating on if its worth it to go to a front end alignment place to just measure my caster and toe in to let me know what i got.. Question would be who would ya trust with a 44 year old truck...

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #846
swamp rat

The wheel polishing place called on Friday and said my wheels would not be done this Saturday as originally thought but should be done by Tuesday, glad he called to let me know so i didn't make the drive up there yesterday.

In the mean time i did remount the door and worked the frozen lock and got it turning again so i can make the drove to the place so he can mount my tires for me.

The new door panels are not here yet, i guess i better call Monday and see about getting status and a tracking number..

Once the wheels are done i'm going to go ahead and cut the door skin off and ready for the next go around.

Can anybody lead me to a good replacement timing cover for an SBC 350? even a stock one would be fine, the one i put on the engine when i built it is a cheap Cal Custom unit, i noticed it seemed like the seal would not want to sit flush with the cover and i suspect it could be a bad stamping so time to get rid of it. Wish i had kept my stock one.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #847
swamp rat

Geeze what was suppose to be a "few" days to swap out some dies is now a week and a half, still no new door skin's shipped out the last time i checked, i called him on the 23'rd and he said he was just getting ready to load the dies so i hope something shipped today..

I have been sitting patiently not wanting to cut anything else up because i have to drive the truck to the tire polishing place to have my tires swapped to the slots, about an hour drive, They were suppose to be done about a week and a half ago too, but i just talked to him again today and he is honistly saying that the tin shack he polishes in (i have seen the equipment and shack) gets over 100* to 110* really fast in the kinda weather were having as soon as he starts up the machine, i guess i can understand that being as its the hottest june on record. He said he's gonna try and get there early get them done early next week.. Hopefully

I may have to give in and start cutting some rot out of the other door skin soon just to get busy.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #848
srvhemi

Hello there Sir, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to read my thread, and then to respond. I had already tried what you suggested with the 1500 to 2000 paper. I wasnt pleased with the result. I have now completely resanded all the boards back down again (4th time) your posts about the door skins reminded me Im not the only one who has to do things multiple times to figure things out. Im almost afraid to apply the stain again (and get the same result) Funny thing, the only other piece of wood I have ever really worked on was my kitchen table. My ol lady wanted to stain it, and I told her it wasnt worth the time and effort. Well, as usual, in my house, she got her way. We spent a day sanding this crappy old table down ( I rented a belt sander from home depot to make the project faster. It made it faster alright, but I also burned through the "wood" on top. Anyway, long story short, I didnt care about said table, still did it right, but not meticulous. That table came out beautiful, and each night I sit at it for dinner, I hate it so much. Im so sure that an experienced wood worker could tell me what Im doing wrong, if they were here watching. My next step is waiting until late at night when temp is down around 80-85 and apply stain then. We did that kitchen table in November, it was much cooler out.
srvhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:55 PM   #849
litew8

Quote:
Can anybody lead me to a good replacement timing cover for an SBC 350? even a stock one would be fine
Something like Proform should be fine. They're licensed by GM. link
Old 08-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #850
swamp rat

So i obviously haven't posted for a while, its not been a good summer for getting any work done on the Rat for various family and other reasons, mainly my legs and feet, I want you all to know i haven't given up on the Rat but have had to take a step back for a bit.

On a brighter note i had a visitor today, an individual whom has been both a mentor and inspiration when i need help and been good enough to answer many emails, you may know him by his work on the following threads, a 57 ford 2 door sedan named Mabelline, a truck named CRLS, or a truck named Silver Streaker.

That's right I had the pleasure of meeting Vic Cook and his Brother in law today, we had a great visit and it was a pleasure to get to know Vic on a more a more than email and forum level. Thank you Vic for taking the time to stop by while you are in the area, i know it was a bit of a drive for you guys to get to my place but ya made my day! Had to grab a picture of Vic with Swamp Rat before he left.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's