The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #176
rusty76

Re: Introduction, nostalgia, and '68 build, oh my

It is actually 20th if anybody else is interested. I understand how it goes. I really hope one of these fine days I'll be driving my ole pickup to the show and not just working. Lol. I think if you keep at it you'll do good.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #177
hewittca

And the results are in: The timing set WAS changed, but the pan was never pulled. After pulling everything apart I discovered a scored damper and mangled bottom edge of the timing cover that were both contributing to my oil leak, a very loose timing chain, and a "custom" grooved cam gear! Overall I'm glad I decided to inspect this stuff because it all needed attention.

Fortunately, I finally reached the end of the parts destruction and started reassembly. Ultimately, I had to replace the rear main seal, oil pump (Melling M55), pan gasket, timing set (Cloyes 3001K), and rework the timing cover, but the bottom end should be sealed up nicely now.

I also noticed that my truck has entered the stage of the project where it begins to be absorbed by it's surroundings and become a place for additional storage in the garage. At least it's still getting used as a truck I suppose...

And lastly, some fitment motivation. While the truck's up on stands, I somewhat mocked up where the rear will be once I finally add in the drop blocks. Even with only 4" backspace on the 9" wide rears, I still think they are tucked a little too deep. I'd really love to throw the wider rear end in there with the 6 lugs from '69, but for the meantime I am going to put in some longer studs (Moser 7/16-20 x 2 7/8") and 1/2" spacers. I ran spacers for years on my Malibu, and with the Moser studs I think I'll be alright. I don't beat on this truck anywhere near what I did to my Malibu.

Next up is getting the transmission reassembled and installed. I hope to have that done within the next month. Then maybe I can actually get back to painting the bed.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #178
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
It is actually 20th if anybody else is interested. I understand how it goes. I really hope one of these fine days I'll be driving my ole pickup to the show and not just working. Lol. I think if you keep at it you'll do good.
My schedule cleared up for this weekend and I think I will try to make it out to the show (without the truck of course). I was going to go to the VW show at Farmington Dragway, but since I've sold my Beetle and have moved on to the truck, I think I'd prefer to attend this show. Where will you be working at the show?
-

Last edited by hewittca; 05-19-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #179
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
....I also noticed that my truck has entered the stage of the project where it begins to be absorbed by it's surroundings and become a place for additional storage in the garage. At least it's still getting used as a truck I suppose...

And lastly, some fitment motivation. While the truck's up on stands, I somewhat mocked up where the rear will be once I finally add in the drop blocks. Even with only 4" backspace on the 9" wide rears, I still think they are tucked a little too deep. I'd really love to throw the wider rear end in there with the 6 lugs from '69, but for the meantime I am going to put in some longer studs (Moser 7/16-20 x 2 7/8") and 1/2" spacers. I ran spacers for years on my Malibu, and with the Moser studs I think I'll be alright. I don't beat on this truck anywhere near what I did to my Malibu.

Next up is getting the transmission reassembled and installed. I hope to have that done within the next month. Then maybe I can actually get back to painting the bed.
Nice investigative work on the motor. Prob extended it's life significantly because eventually there would have been a brief starvation issue that likely would have taken out a bearing or two.

As for the rear wheel being too far in, it looks good from the pic posted (and I am picky about it). It could be the angle but again, looks right to me. On the 'wider' 69/later 6-lug housing... Seemed the change to the wider housing happened sometime in 70. That's where there were 2 different length 6-lug housings. Measure the distance between the backing plate & T/A perch on your current housing to ensure you're getting a longer one if you go shopping around.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #180
rusty76

PM sent
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
Old 05-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #181
warbird1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
Judging by the work you're doing on your truck, I'm pretty sure you could pull it off. I do really like the setup you are currently running, but your truck would look amazing on a set of big steelies. The guy I got my wheels from can do a 5 lug conversion for you, just sayin'

do you have this guys contact info? i would be VERY interested in a set of transits in 5 lug
warbird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #182
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
As for the rear wheel being too far in, it looks good from the pic posted (and I am picky about it). It could be the angle but again, looks right to me. On the 'wider' 69/later 6-lug housing... Seemed the change to the wider housing happened sometime in 70. That's where there were 2 different length 6-lug housings. Measure the distance between the backing plate & T/A perch on your current housing to ensure you're getting a longer one if you go shopping around.
Great, thanks for the correct year to look for. I knew it was sometime during the 69/70 model years. You're right, from the photos I posted it really doesn't look off at all, but I like to have the rear wheels as tight as I can get them. I have about 1 1/8" on each side and I'd like to get it down to at most 1/2". Any more than that and at certain angles the rear wheels just don't look right to me.
-
Old 05-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #183
rusty76

It was great meeting you today. I wish it would have been a little cooler. A few more trucks did show up. This year seemed to be off. I feel the heat and the race down in Charolette may had something to do with it. Either way we still had fun and saw some cool stuff.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
Old 05-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #184
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
It was great meeting you today. I wish it would have been a little cooler. A few more trucks did show up. This year seemed to be off. I feel the heat and the race down in Charolette may had something to do with it. Either way we still had fun and saw some cool stuff.
It was great meeting you as well Matt. You are only the second board member I've met, and it's nice to put a face to another member here. I agree, there was definitely a lot going on this past weekend, but there were still some pretty interesting cars/trucks that showed up.
-
Old 05-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #185
hewittca

I have updated my build thread title to "Green Gus the 68 shortbed convert" to better reflect my build, but for some reason it got added as a duplicate copy. I will no longer post updates in this thread even though it still exists. Please follow the photo link below to continue the build progress!

-