The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #26
James the III

Re: How many have restored trucks and left their front drum brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Anyone who thinks disc brakes stop you in half the distance must have no hands-on experience and, for that matter, have been hearing or reading some bad info. .
No one is claiming disc will stop 1/2 the distance than drum
I said that todays cars with their brakes will stop in 40-60 feet less and if it's a performance vehicle it'll be even more..

Todays 129.00 leased special will stop on a dime and you in a drum braked truck will just run into them.. as you can not on todays roads leave enough room /cushion without a vehicle filling it..
Seems those in area with lite or no traffic, have a skews experience..
and bad info..
I will not drive my drum brake chevelle in traffic because of this..
can't leave the cushion between me and the car in front of me.. and can't stop fast enough..
I like my clean driving record and no surcharges.. your mileage may vary.

Last edited by James the III; 02-16-2017 at 10:09 AM.
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #27
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

I restored a 69 that had manual drums. When I added a power booster, that made all the difference. You dont 'Need' disks.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #28
B. W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
As for the comments of "semis have drum brakes" they also have much more weight to counter act the self energizing action of drum brakes and not lock up.. when loaded

Nothing wrong with running drums, but you did say power tour.. are you able to keep enough room between you and all the other vehicles that will stop in 1/2 the feet at same speed without ending in their trunk??
That is a problem even todays econo boxes stop on a dime..
It seems at least 1 every year on the p/t end up wrecking many times it was they could not stop and rear ended a vehicle.. and had drums ..
What was safe in the 70's and stopped as good as most everything on the road doesn't mean a thing today.. When everything can stop 40-60 feet faster..
Smith system of defensive driving
If you rear end someone it's not your drum brakes, you are following too close.
Class A CDL, 800,000 commercial accident free miles (on drums)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #29
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
Smith system of defensive driving
If you rear end someone it's not your drum brakes, you are following too close.
Class A CDL, 800,000 commercial accident free miles (on drums)
in Montana..
Again as seen as you missed it.. you can open up a cushion to have enough space..
but please tell me how to keep other drivers from pulling into that slot..
please I've looked for a way to control other drivers to no avail..
So what is the secret ..
thanks..

comparing a semi with drums and a light vehicle is well, um, apples and oranges..
load weight to counter act the self energizing drum set up.. THAT is why they work ok in a semi.. when loaded.. and do nothing but lock when hooked to nada..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #30
Myoldtruck

I left my drums on my 70 longbed. I do tow a 23ft airstream without problems, the trailer has its own brakes.

I did add a power brake booster, made a good bit of difference. Good rubber brake lines or braided lines would be better. The Best quality brake shoes you can buy, I read alot of articles online about drums and brake shoes and all had alot to say about shoe quality relating to brake fade issues. Im very happy with the way my truck stops, its a daily driver driven at a normal pace.
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #31
LongBox

I'm driving on manual drums,which work just fine, probably as good as anything else from the late 60s. Lots of mountains here in BC, and if I were to take this 69 on a drive through the mountains, I would proceed a little more slowly and carefully than were I to take my disk equipped 98 Silverado.

The drums will lock all four wheels, but they would not stop the truck as quickly as a disk brake setup, because the heat buildup on a long hard stop will cause brake fade with the drums, less so with the disks.

It all comes down to the intended use of the truck, and how important originality is.

I would only change to disks if I was doing a 6-lug to 5-lug conversion, otherwise, drums'll do.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #32
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: How many have restored trucks and left their front drum brakes?

I've been on 3 Power Tours and haven't seen a vehicle rear end another one yet that where not the owner fault!

I have seen people get hit because they weren't paying attention to the road. They where looking at vehicles and didn't see the vehicle in front of them stoping. It has nothing to do with the vehicle. It has to do with thinking and watching what is happening in front of you.
When your behind the wheel... your only job is to make sure you are looking out for your safety and anyone in the vehicle with you. No excuses. Don't blame the vehicle are the guy in front of you. Pay attention.

42 years of driving and never had a wreck.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #33
GRX

Differences in drum vs disk was really driven home in me when I owned two '69 GTOs. One with standard equipment drums, the other with optional front disks. Save for long hills, stopping at lower speeds was essentially the same. Drum fade at 120-mph is a whole other matter. My '69 C-10 long stepper will never see anywhere near those speeds, so 4-wheel manual drums have been fine. It actually had the factory originals on the back. And boy were they worn out!
Old 02-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #34
Coley

Smile Re: How many have restored trucks and left their front drum brakes?

Some good points about factoring in modern traffic and driving conditions.
I agree that these brakes are more than capable of stopping these trucks correctly.
However, when you factor in that 99% of everyone around you now takes a lot of liberties on the road with their modern vehicles abilities that puts your ability and your trucks ability to handle it at much greater risk.
I think when everyone had these vehicles on the road (1970's? and older)...people generally knew they couldn't 'dart' in and out of traffic...the cars simply couldn't do it but today they can...and they do.

Good points.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #35
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

That's the issue I have where I live. Doesn't matter if it's a 70mph interstate or a 4 lane 45 mph road, if there is a gap someone will cut you off to fill it. Traffic is absolutely terrible here. I've had people pull in front of me in my lane when the whole line of cars was already slowing, so then I had to really get on the brakes, or the worst is when a car 2 cars up is turning, the jackass behind them doesn't want to wait behind them while they turn, so they dart over to the next lane when they're almost behind that car, and all of a sudden I'm going full speed behind a car that is stopped or almost stopped and I had no idea. The road I work off of is a 4 lane road with no left turn lane and this happens literally daily, either to me, or I see it happen up ahead.

What absolutely ended the disc/drum debate for me was test driving a 65 Mustang I was looking at to buy. The drum brakes felt good at low speeds, but right after I got going a car pulled out in front of me so I got on the brakes and it pulled so hard to the right because they weren't adjusted properly I almost put it in the ditch. You don't have to worry about adjustment or steering pull on discs.

I put 3 point seat belts and front discs on all my old stuff.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #36
davepl

My son, who drives a 2015 Silverado daily, drove my 70 C2500 w/ 72 front discs for the first time a couple of days ago. He was very surprised how much force the brakes required (part of this was being on high idle).

Even with a fully restored disc system they're not quite new vehicles!

Other than "just because" I wouldn't upgrade a drum front unless I was towing or driving in the mountains where fade was important. Or driving through a lot of water I guess. Otherwise I'd be totally happy with drums.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #37
67ChevyRedneck

Early Classic did a comparison on stopping distance with stock vs. their disc setup and suspension components on a 60-66 C10. To be fair, I'm sure the original stuff was completely worn out, and it is an article to help sell their suspension components, but they came up with a 30' difference in stopping distance with some springs and tires:

Quote:
This wheel and tire package took the 60-0 braking distance down from 266ft. to 237ft. and the slalom speed from 32.4mph up to 36.2mph.
They did the upgrades in stages, that included some springs and modern fatter radial tires.

They then did the disc brake upgrade and it dropped the stopping distance to 172':

Quote:
With the new Early Classic Enterprises front disc brake conversion installed, the braking distance dropped an additional 65ft., netting an impressive 172ft. The remainder of the suspension upgrade yielded another significant gain through our 420ft. slalom course. This speed was increased another 5mph to 41.2mph. A notable improvement in the handling characteristics of this truck is evident in these before and after (headlights on) photos.
http://www.earlyclassic.com/Tech.asp...7s+Makeover+II

For comparison, let's say a C10 with discs can stop in 175 ft. A 2016 Silverado can stop in 137', and F-150 in 140, a Ram in 147' and a Tundra in 153' and these are 5,500 lb beasts.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/02...g-braking.html

The average family car can stop in 130-140' and a modern sports car in under 120'.

#'s from 2011:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...ance/index.htm

Just wanted to show the vast difference in braking between modern cars and our old trucks. At highway speeds you need to damn near be 100' back behind a modern car with drums. Where I live... good luck leaving more than 20-30'
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 02-16-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #38
kwmech

1968 GMC 3/4 ton big block, drum brake front and rear, never had any stopping issues loaded or unloaded. It's knowing your vehicle and what it can do and not do. I've had this truck overloaded several times with firewood and scrap steel.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #39
70STOVEBOLT

My 70 has drums all the way around. Not a race truck, though it does have a mild 402 and in normal driving it stops just fine.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #40
B. W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
in Montana..
Again as seen as you missed it.. you can open up a cushion to have enough space..
but please tell me how to keep other drivers from pulling into that slot..
please I've looked for a way to control other drivers to no avail..
So what is the secret ..
thanks..

comparing a semi with drums and a light vehicle is well, um, apples and oranges..
load weight to counter act the self energizing drum set up.. THAT is why they work ok in a semi.. when loaded.. and do nothing but lock when hooked to nada..
Not being snarky ... really. Read or watch the Smith system of defensive driving, it explains how to maintain a safe space cushion. (that is actually one of the 5 "keys" of defensive driving)
Montana? Some pretty tough driving here at times, but my commercial driving was mostly in the south.
apples to oranges? Class 8 drum brakes are not "self-energizing" they are a single acting system. they work OK when loaded to 80,00 (or over), work best at moderate loads &, with experience, work well when running empty. Drum brake systems on our trucks are "self-energizing " (duo-servo) & the braking systems on all vehicles are engineered to work with the weight & load parameters of that vehicle ( some better than others)

Bottom line: If you have an accident with a drum brake vehicle THAT IS IN PROPER WORKING CONDITION it is not the brake system's fault it is the driver's.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #41
68Gold/white

This thread is hilarious!
You don't need disc brakes!!! LOL

Reading some of these post's remind me of conversations with my former spouse.........

My 67 and 68 C-10's will both have front disc brakes before they ever roll on a road again.

Neither of my pickups will be driven like grand dad did back in the 60's. Driving an old pickup that had front drums that were truly NOT adequate "in the day", these days around vehicles that can ALL stop way better, is a silly thing to me, my opinion..........................

3/4 and one ton's have considerably bigger drums and shoes, I have never driven one of those, they do not figure into this thread's OP, my opinion.

Vehicle safety is the most important thing to me. There's an old saying, Nobody ever got hurt in a vehicle accident because it wouldn't start, but many have perished because it's brakes didn't perform well....

Carry ON!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #42
Sicklajoie
The Niner

I still run front drums on my C/20 and don't plan on changing them out.
From April to October I drive about 6000 miles a year in every conceivable traffic situation and I'm more than happy with the way the brakes perform.
Attached Images

Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #43
1968aj

since you say all your brakes are new drive it till they need replacement then decide. I have owned several vehicles with drums and they stop just fine.people drove just as crazy in the 60,s and 70,s if not worse. you have to drive knowing your trucks capabilities. I have been driving 48 years in and on trucks cars motorcycles and cannot remember seeing an accident that could of been avoided by a disc conversion.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #44
Heavymetl

Buying disc brakes is way cheaper than replacing sheetmetal.

Look, I love old stuff. I fly a 1946 Piper Cub all the time, work with Farmalls, and daily drive a 1970 C10 during the summer.

But I also use a remote control, cell phone, and ride elevators instead of stairs. Sometimes technology moves on even though the old stuff still "works fine." There's NO WAY I'd drive 250+ miles everyday on crowded Power Tour routes without discs.

I've done 6 or 7 Power Tours. The traffic can be insane and a lot of people drive in groups, which leads to weird behaviors of people trying to keep up and stop together. As said before, if all I did was cruise backroads drums are a perfect solution. Definitely not in big city rush hour traffic.

Remember, everyone thinks they're a good driver.
Moser 9" 3.25/4 wheel discs
11.16@121.07
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #45
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetl View Post
Buying disc brakes is way cheaper than replacing sheetmetal.

Look, I love old stuff. I fly a 1946 Piper Cub all the time, work with Farmalls, and daily drive a 1970 C10 during the summer.

But I also use a remote control, cell phone, and ride elevators instead of stairs. Sometimes technology moves on even though the old stuff still "works fine." There's NO WAY I'd drive 250+ miles everyday on crowded Power Tour routes without discs.

I've done 6 or 7 Power Tours. The traffic can be insane and a lot of people drive in groups, which leads to weird behaviors of people trying to keep up and stop together.
I agree, I did a short-haul in 2014 and the whole shebang in 2015 & 2016, about 3,500 miles each. My 65 Mustang with PDB and upgraded performance suspension components can stop almost as well as at least a modern full size pickup. I wish I could get the C10 to perform like that.

Don't forget, shocks, springs, and sway bars can have a great affect on braking distances as well!

I actually haven't taken the C10 on the tour because it gets light in the ass in the rain and it seems to like to rain on the tour.
Project "On a Dime"
Old 02-16-2017, 05:54 PM   #46
ubtripn

I rebuilt my drums all around on my 68 with a booster and it is just fine. Just survived a 30 mile daily commute through a hard winter in Boise on freeway and city driving. I just can't justify the spend on disk unless I were to find a donor that was complete and even then its not my primary vehicle anymore, now its my truck for when I need a truck so I don't think I will go to disk.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #47
1968aj

if a ''power tour'' and rush hour traffic is so scary you need to upgrade tires ; seat belts; add air bags; wear a helmet the list goes on. I would just buy a new truck and stay out of that death trap.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #48
Hunter67stepside

I'm not racing mine. People turn heads cause how it looks not how fast it is. I'm leaving my drums. Easy and cheap to maintain and suits my needs. Just my two cents
Hunter67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #49
chewychevy67

Wow this created a good conversation. Thanks for the input guys. I think I will leave the drums for now being that they are new and if I don't like them I will do the swap.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #50
jessemthompson

This is a great post and funny seeing how defensive some members get over others opinions lol. The bottom line up front is, disc are better. They are more effective, easier to work on and don't fade like drums. I'm sure most of us are not talking on rotary dial phones with cords anymore, but they worked? Why do I need a cell phone when this one worked just fine? Disc are definitely worth the upgrade. It all boils down to personal preference at the end of the day, but I would never switch from disc to drum and I'm not trading my iPhone for a rotary dial phone.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote