The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
Kartch1

Wonder What Under That Floor Brace?

The rear floor brace on our trucks is a C-channel and open underneath while the front floor brace is enclosed. Did you ever wonder what it looks like under there? I did. The 56 that I'm working on right now is fairly solid. The floor had a spot on the passenger side that was rusted through and a small part of the brace was rusted through.

I knew I was going to replace the entire floor and firewall anyway so I pulled out my reciprocating saw and cut the brace off. The pics show what was there. I never really noticed but you can see there is an opening on either end of the brace that can let stuff in (and out). I would be blowing some compressed air through there if I had a truck of our vintage to keep crud from building up.

Enjoy!

This is the brace cut off and flopped over....

Surprise!

This is with things cleaned up to show that for the most part the floor is fairly solid. You can see the passenger side where it rusted through.

This is the area that is open on each end of the brace that can let stuff in.

The white line is how far back I'm removing the floor. The silver areas are where I have already sandblasted and covered with Masters Series coating
Kartch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
1958Warrior

Re: Wonder What Under That Floor Brace?

I would consider that a rust free floor, requiring only a couple of small patches.

But if your going to remove it brace left to right and front to back and corner to corner, or it will spring and twist on you.

You will want to blow out all the crud that has accumulated in the voids around the back cab mounts as well just as much back there as what you found in the front floor brace, a piece of wire clothes hanger will help get all the pebbles out.

Hard to believe all that can find its way in the nooks and crannies, I had about 7lbs of red west Texas fine sand and, pebbles ,that was stuffed full inside mine.

The supports under the cab steps that run front to back trap the stuff in there and collects moisture and rust out the steps from below. your steps look like they have been remove but for those who have theirs it is a good Idea to clean those things out from time to time.

Last edited by 1958Warrior; 05-23-2017 at 08:32 PM.
1958Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
joedoh

good for you! I have learned to let sleeping dust lie haha

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
Kartch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Warrior View Post
I would consider that a rust free floor, requiring only a couple of small patches.

Yea, it really wasn't in that bad of shape over all.
The truck is an Arizona desert vehicle so we can get dirt like that and have it sit for years and not cause rust. I never really noticed that the front brace was open to the outside on both ends. If I was going to keep the floor stock I would definitely be blowing out that area with compressed air every one and a while.

But if your going to remove it brace left to right and front to back and corner to corner, or it will spring and twist on you.

I got in a hurry back when I got the cab a few years ago and started cutting before i braced it up really good. So far I have been able to keep things good as far as the doors still fit well. I'm really hoping I didn't screw myself on this one. I'm more worried about windshield fitment when I get to that point. I really forget how lucky I am to have dry climate as far as rust goes. I see some rust in the passenger floor and my first instinct is, CUT IT OUT. Haha! I amazed at what some of you guys patch up to look like new.

You will want to blow out all the crud that has accumulated in the voids around the back cab mounts as well just as much back there as what you found in the front floor brace, a piece of wire clothes hanger will help get all the pebbles out.
Those areas were rusted through. I cut out the sheet metal behind the back cab braces, cleaned them out, treated the rust and patched it back up. I'm going to pour some Masters Series coating down the area as well as an additional sealer.

Hard to believe all that can find its way in the nooks and crannies, I had about 7lbs of red west Texas fine sand and, pebbles ,that was stuffed full inside mine.

Amazing the amount of stuff that builds up in there

The supports under the cab steps that run front to back trap the stuff in there and collects moisture and rust out the steps from below. your steps look like they have been remove but for those who have theirs it is a good Idea to clean those things out from time to time.
Yeah I'm replacing my steps. Not because of rust but they were bent to crap. So bad I wouldn't have been surprised if the cab was a little tweaked just from that.
Kartch1 is offline   Reply With Quote