The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
Peregrine

Phantoms in the engine

It's been raining here for 2 days. I was following my friend through our schools parking lot last night and I go over a speed bump at my required "my truck is too lowered for these bumps to exist" speed, and I coast. Then I try to stop, no brakes, then I try to turn, no steering and I come to a gentle rest in the middle of my schools road...and then roll backwards. Well this is just freakin great. Put it in park, turn the key and I get nothin, not a peep from the starter. I think my lights were on, but I'm not to sure honestly. I sit there for probably 30 seconds and start to crank it. crank it some more. tra la la. crank and it starts. Ok, back in business. Something just got wet because of all the puddles in the lot. at the next stop sign, it dies again. well this is just stupid. I take her home and continue my night driving in my friends MAzda 626, without my poor truck. My dad needed to get out from the backyard about 2pm sunday, so I start er up and it's runnin fine. There's a school parking lot across the street so I head over there and I slow down to get in the parking lot *big bump* and I here it idiling wayyy to slow again. Well **** again. It just doesn't like ideling now and it's making me mad. The only thing's I'd done to this truck in the past 2 days is get the radio working and fill it with gas. I have a hunch the distributer is just soaking wet, so I am going to check that out later, but wanted to get some other ideas from you guys so I can check everything at once. thanks in advance

Let the world change you and you will change the world.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 01:43 PM   #2
Budweis
Geared for Collision

while your checking out distributor change that fuel filter.
1977 Corvette Coupe
Budweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:28 PM   #3
Peregrine

I knew my truck ran rich, but I pulled the plugs today and they are the most carbon-covered pieces of crap I've ever seen. After I put new ones in, I'm re-jetting my Holley

Let the world change you and you will change the world.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:38 PM   #4
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

How cold was is it where you live now? Around here when it gets down into the 50's and the air is humid, my truck won't idle worth a crap. I was told its because the inside of the carb ices up just a little bit due to the rushing moist air. Once it warms up its fine.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:52 AM   #5
mrein3

I chased a similar gremlin in a 1971 Monte Carlo for a couple of months. When it was dry it ran fine. If it rained or was foggy it ran like crap. I threw all sorts of parts at it. New cap. New plug wires. New points. Then one day I put a new coil on it. Problem solved.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote