The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Past Contest Winners > 2004 ToTM Archive

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: July ToTM
YukonJack 19 25.00%
dubie 12 15.79%
BlazerGal 16 21.05%
72shadetree 14 18.42%
bobbyk 15 19.74%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 11:10 PM   #1
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

July 04 Truck of The Month Voting

YukonJack

I saw that I was nominated for the project of the month and would enjoy sharing some info (I would love to be in Indy with you all!!!)

I bought my truck in about July of 1999 after drooling over a buddy's 1970 1 ton that he converted to four wheel drive. My truck appears to be have spent it's life on a farm doing farm tasks. My first modification was adding a 4" lift and larger tires. It seems that each year I have focused on a different project. My second year was rather minor, just added power steering and got some other maintenance issues addressed.

My next project was getting a flatbed built. I was going to do the install but in the end it was just alot more convenient to let the flatbed company do the install. Soon after doing the flatbed I added some leaves to the rear spring pack and made some changes to approximately 6" of lift.

In July of 2002 I received a call from another board member that he had located a wrecked 1989 1 ton truck with a good 454. I purchased it and had a fun time getting it brought home. I spent evenings getting the engine pulled and then the cleaning and prep began. I got rid of the TBI and went with a Stage II Jet 850 cfm carb, a Weiand Action Plus manifold, a Crane Cams cam, gear drive, new aluminum water pump, oil pump, fuel pump and some good looking valve covers.

When it was time to prepare for the transplant I had blazer boy and Barn9 come over to pull the old engine. We got it pulled easy enough but saw some rust issues that would be easy to take care of while the truck had the front clip removed. Barn9 and blazer boy told me now was a good time to paint the truck to which I just laughed and told them NO WAY!

Well, what do you know, before long I found myself thinking of doing just that. I started sanding the cab and before long I had the cab completely stripped and committed to painting it myself. Doing 1 1/2 to 2 hours of work every few evenings makes a project go slow and I soon decided that body work and paint was above my level so I selected a body shop to take over.

Today the truck is very close to coming home from the body shop. I am so eager to get it home and fire up the 454. I've never owned a big block and as this is replacing a tired 307, I hope to be very impressed.

My family and coworkers think I'm obsessed, and they might be right. All I know is I get huge amounts of satisfaction working on my truck and am so glad to have this board to help me along with my project. I've gained alot from the board and hopefully given back too.

Here are some pics of my trucks progression.

Mark Scott aka Yukon Jack

Truck when I bought it

Initial 4" lift

Flatbed Installed

454 with all its goodies

Prepping for body work and paint

As she sits now with about 11" of lift
Old 07-14-2004, 11:13 PM   #2
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Blazer Gal

Haulin it home...

Interior gutted and floor being prepared for POR15...

Frame has been sandblasted and POR15'ed, the firewall has been painted...

body has first of many coats of PURPLE paint, finally found the rims I have been lookin everywhere for...

Rims and tires on...finally pulled it out of the garage...

New bucket seat covers on,

white faced gauges, stereo is in, and interior is almost done...

motor is in and running, the beast is moving on its own...

Finishing up the TennMan marker light filler...

My truck is a 1972 SWB 4x4.
350 crate motor
350 auto mated to a 205
8 inch skyjacker lift
AR39 rims with 36.5 tires
Hopefully will not be a project for much longer, but as we all know these trucks are never done...LOL.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:14 PM   #3
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

BobbyK

Here's my 71 Blazer.
Not a frame off but close to it.
Rebuilt 350 with TPI off a 92 Camaro.700R4 trans to NP205.

Converted the orig. R12 A/C system to R-134 and used a Sanden compressor.Rebuilt the The whole A/C and heating system during that process.I haven't hooked thae system up yet.

Out back is GovLoked 12 bolt with Rear disc brakes.

I stripped the interior and Laid down some "Brown Bread" sound deadener and covered that with a new Carpet set from A.C.C.

Replaced the rotted out rockers and the repainted it the factory "light Yellow" color.

The final product.
Here are some poser shot's and some not so poser shots.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:16 PM   #4
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

dubie

This truck started it's like as a 72 Chevy long fleetside with an inline 6, 3 in the tree combo. It's nice a 67 GMC long flatbed with a 350/same 3 speed but only on the floor.
Things that we have done to it include front clip swap, fabricated flatbed, new cab corners, rockers and fender corner,converted to floor shift, Grant GT steering wheel. OOGA horn, built a 350 for it, new dual exhaust, all new suspension, did all the body work and paint outselves, blue dot tail light inserts, coil over load springs, and later model rallies. Still need to install the power steering, tint the windows, install the smoke stack exhaust tail pipes, build some hanging tool boxes for under the flatbed, clean up under the hood and get some damn weather stripping and window fuzzies. She sure rattles

Thanks for the nomination guys

Attached Images

Old 07-14-2004, 11:21 PM   #5
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

72 shadetree

Noticed the ole lady added mine. Its hard to tell its still a project, but I still need to do mirrors and seatbelts and I'm not happy with the grille and rear bumper still needs to be re wired and got to finish the big block and change column and add power steering.

Its a 72 lwb Cheyenne factory bb has a sb till I get bb built. New Yellow/purple paint new interior/all new lights new wheels and tires and some new wireing. Its come along way but still has alot left to do probably finish it by spring I hope

thanks henry 72shadetree

***sorry I do not have the pics Henry wants posted with his yet. They will be added in shortly.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:26 AM   #6
72shadetree
KEEP ON TRUCKING

here you go liz.
so far this rust bucket has had fender/tailgate/wheeltubs/inner fender/both rockers/4 cab supports/2 cab corners/front bumper and innergrille along wit alot of small patches put in.need to get it finished so we can start on the mrs. 69 short step.the funny part about this is i bought the truck for a beater while i do a frame off on my other 72 which i aint touched in along time
Attached Images

71 k20 sons

bassett va
Old 07-15-2004, 02:31 AM   #7
72shadetree
KEEP ON TRUCKING

here it set as of today except i finally got my front wheels
Attached Images

71 k20 sons

bassett va
Old 07-21-2004, 10:28 AM   #8
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Here is one last image of how my truck sits today.

Last edited by Yukon Jack; 07-21-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:39 AM   #9
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Yukon I am sorry. Somehow that slipped by me when I posted it, I have extended the poll a few dyas to make it fair for all now. Again I appologize to all.
~Thanks Liz
Closed Thread