The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2022, 04:49 PM   #1
DgzPokey

DoubleWall HardTop Installation Help

just purchased a 70 blazer cst and a hardtop. The top was purchased separately and did not come with any mounting brackets or hardware so I was wondering what is needed to mount the DoubleWall top to my blazer
DgzPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:50 PM   #2
Thealien

Re: DoubleWall HardTop Installation Help

How nice is the blazer? Are you worried about scratching it while installing the top?

Are you trying to do this just to get it home? And if so how far will it need to travel?

One of my blazers was shipped 1500 miles with just the front bolts and the rear bolts holding the top on and none of the bolts that went up from underneath the bedside.

I usually take a couple of 2 x 6 boards long enough that they extend past the bedsides about a foot. One person on the end of each board and you can place the top on the bedside with no concerns about it falling off and damaging the vehicle. You can then lift the front of the top and remove the front board. And then the rear of the top and remove the rear board. The bolts that go up from the bottom of the bedside into your double wall top are 5/16 x 18 thread. I would run a thread chaser into all of the top holes before trying any of this. At the front of the blazer the two corner bolts go through the visor mounting bracket and into the top from the bottom. It is also I believe 5/16 x 18 but it’s at least a couple of inches long. Does your top have the two brackets that hang down at the back of the top and bolt to the bedside? And do you have the two little brackets with the three holes in them from mounting the top to the windshield frame?
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:05 PM   #3
DgzPokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
How nice is the blazer? Are you worried about scratching it while installing the top?

Are you trying to do this just to get it home? And if so how far will it need to travel?

One of my blazers was shipped 1500 miles with just the front bolts and the rear bolts holding the top on and none of the bolts that went up from underneath the bedside.

I usually take a couple of 2 x 6 boards long enough that they extend past the bedsides about a foot. One person on the end of each board and you can place the top on the bedside with no concerns about it falling off and damaging the vehicle. You can then lift the front of the top and remove the front board. And then the rear of the top and remove the rear board. The bolts that go up from the bottom of the bedside into your double wall top are 5/16 x 18 thread. I would run a thread chaser into all of the top holes before trying any of this. At the front of the blazer the two corner bolts go through the visor mounting bracket and into the top from the bottom. It is also I believe 5/16 x 18 but it’s at least a couple of inches long. Does your top have the two brackets that hang down at the back of the top and bolt to the bedside? And do you have the two little brackets with the three holes in them from mounting the top to the windshield frame?
yes I don't wanna scratch the paint lol. As stated by the previous owner of the blazer the mounting holes were filled at the body shop before paint so they have to be re drilled and the top came with zero mounting hardware. top is home but waiting on delivery of the blazer

Last edited by DgzPokey; 05-18-2022 at 06:09 PM. Reason: add quote
DgzPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:15 PM   #4
7D2N

Without knowing much about your top. I would make sure your double wall is ready to be mounted. You may know the double top bolts go from under the bedside into the top. On my last double top half of the inner nuts were stripped inside the shell and took a little extra work.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:59 PM   #5
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

There are two brackets that affix the top front to the windshield frame, two bolts (one ea) at the visor brackets, the bolts 7D2N mentions, and two brackets that affix the top to the bedside just rearward from the tailgate. Do you have existing threads/holes for the front and rear brackets and are the visor bracket present?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland

Last edited by DeadheadNM; 05-18-2022 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Added
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:40 PM   #6
ATL Golfer

Interesting. I always thought mine was double walled based on how heavy it was lol. But my bolts come in from to the top trim and screw down toward the ground into the bed side .
ATL Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:46 AM   #7
1rippen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
There are two brackets that affix the top front to the windshield frame, two bolts (one ea) at the visor brackets, the bolts 7D2N mentions, and two brackets that affix the top to the bedside just rearward from the tailgate. Do you have existing threads/holes for the front and rear brackets and are the visor bracket present?
He stated it was a 70 so from the one's that I've had, it may or may not have the holes for the rear mounts. It's easy enough to install the nuts in the quarter panels but it will also depend on what the top was removed from, if it has the previsions.
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:49 AM   #8
1rippen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Interesting. I always thought mine was double walled based on how heavy it was lol. But my bolts come in from to the top trim and screw down toward the ground into the bed side .
The tops aren't that much different in weight. Actually, someday I want to weight both to know the difference but haven't yet.
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:59 PM   #9
dirtscoots

Anyone have a picture of the rear brackets?
dirtscoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:00 PM   #10
bluek5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtscoots View Post
Anyone have a picture of the rear brackets?
Here you go.
Attached Images

bluek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:18 PM   #11
dirtscoots

Thank you!
Didn’t know this was a thing so I’m missing part of that bracket I guess?
Attached Images

dirtscoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:21 PM   #12
jaredyocum

That banana shaped bracket must have been added in that latter years ? My 69 never had it either
jaredyocum is offline   Reply With Quote