The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2003, 06:31 PM   #1
GMC69

I can't decide!!!!

There are way to many choices to make when fixing up a truck these days,

Here is the thing, I was looking at a few ways of redoing my front end.
I can swap suspensions for the new style and drop spindles and disc brakes,
I can keep my existing front suspension and get drop spindles and disc brakes,
I can keep my curent suspension and just get drop coils for it ( cheapest possibility) and also keep the drum brakes.

I currently don't use the truck as a daily driver, I may one day if I get a job that I am not on the road.

Wether I swap the front end or not, it will have to get rebuilt to be on the safe side ( new ball joints, tie rod ends etc...).

I stared at all my options for a while ( sitting outside staring back at me), and seen that either way all the rubber should be changed.

Least amount of work would be to rebuild the current from end, get lowered coils keep the drums and 6 bolt, so I don't have to convert the rear.

BEST solution but most $$$$, would be to rebuild current front end get drop SPINDLES and get 6 bolt rotors.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN MY PLACE.????

Oh and just a side note the current rear is 6 bolt, coil, has 3.73 gears and 10 bolt diff cover. I tried to find a complete 5 bolt rear at the wrecking yard and they only listed one that would not be cheap to get ( shipping).

PLEASE HELP WITH YOUR INPUT.

Sorry for the really long post.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, on air bags
GMC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 11:16 PM   #2
GMC69

Nobody has any thoughts on this???

Anybody.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
Old 08-28-2003, 09:29 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Regardless of what way you go, I would get rid of the drum brakes. Those need to go away. I like em low, so Iwould drop it as much as possible while I was getting rid of the brakes....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 09:38 AM   #4
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

If you want to go 5 lug (and I recommend it due to rim availablility, new and used), you could change just your axles. That would save you alot on shipping. Or, you could take them to a machine shop and have them set it up for 5 lug. Remember, 6 lug rotors are aftermarket and cost alittle more. I'm assuming 67-72, maybe you should post some more details on your truck.
"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 09:48 AM   #5
GMC69

Sorry about that.

1969, Fleetside, LWB, drums all around
Attached Images

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
Old 08-29-2003, 12:00 AM   #6
Stroker

From your post I'm thinking the upgrades your intersted in are a small drop and improved braking. You indicated that you feel the best route would be going to the six lug disk so I'll guess that aftermarket wheel selection is not a major concern to you. If it is then 5 lug is the best route IMO. But if all you really what is a 2 inch drop, rebuilt front end and improved brakes then I'll throw in another option. Why not upgrade the components of your drum brakes. From what I've heard the Praise Dyno drum brake upgrade will put the drum brakes on par with the factory disk brakes. They are a bolt on item no modifations required. It's not exactly a cheap upgrade but if you're interested in keeping thing simple and near stock it might be for you........Stroker
Old 08-29-2003, 01:54 AM   #7
GMC69

Well I slept on it once again and here is what I think I am going to do.

I am ordering a 4" drop coil and adjustable panhard bar. As for the front end, I found a few options but needed another question answered first other question

When I change the tie rod ends and ball joints I may just convert to the newer style ( retaining the rest 69 parts) then I can upgrade to 5 bolt and I may know someone that can redrill my rear axles, he did work for me before ( fixed the input shaft on my manual tranny on my POS Furd Ranger).

Then just get drop spindles for the newer style ( kit I found comes with the newer style ball joints and tie rod ends ( kills 2 birds with one stone).

Oh and yes I do want to go with aftermarket rims and have found that the selection of 5 bolt is sooo much better.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4

Last edited by GMC69; 08-29-2003 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:01 AM   #8
73stepside

why don't you go with mcgaughy's or early classic drop spindles and get auto parts store disc brakes for 71-72 pick up. mcgaughy's are set up to intall using eveything from 67-70 with out haveing to worry about what ball joints and tie rod ends. then all you will have to do is get the rotors, calipers, bearings, splash shields, hoses, caps, lines, mater cylinder, and prop valve
73stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 03:23 AM   #9
GMC69

I have seen those spindles also, but I don't know the last time any work was done on the suspension and some of the rubber looks a bit tired so I am changing it regardless.

OH BTW I got a price for drop spindles around here and the cheapest one is about 650$ a pair CAD.

Probably cheaper for me to get them shipped here myself from the US.

And I already have a master cylinder from truck I stripped and I have the prop valve from the current ( doner) truck, I have the complete brake setup from the 73-87 well 2 of them but they have been sitting for a while and not sure if anything is good on them anymore.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4

Last edited by GMC69; 08-29-2003 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:30 PM   #10
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Quote:
Originally posted by 73stepside
why don't you go with mcgaughy's or early classic drop spindles and get auto parts store disc brakes for 71-72 pick up. mcgaughy's are set up to intall using eveything from 67-70 with out haveing to worry about what ball joints and tie rod ends. then all you will have to do is get the rotors, calipers, bearings, splash shields, hoses, caps, lines, mater cylinder, and prop valve
Im kinda in the same boat as GMC69 and was looking for another option because my front end feels tight and I dont really want to change everything. So Im going to give these spindles (McGaughy) a hard look.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 02:29 PM   #11
COBALT

I'd save my $, and get drop spindles and drop coils from Early Classic Enterprises. They have excellent service.

Then, I'd spend the money to get front disk rotors for the spindles.

Finally, I'd swap out the axle for a dana 60 with rear disk brakes, and drop the rear 4-6" with drop coils. This will require an adjustable panhard bar, and a shock relocation kit, but they'll bolt up to your existing trailing arms with little modification. The only sticky part is the pinion angle. You'll probably have to have your axle saddles removed and reattached to move the pinion angle back up to where it should be to reduce U-joint and transmission wear.

Finally, I'd think about going to a 1-piece driveshaft. This will involve cutting the cross member the center support bearing sits in...

Is that enough? This is sorta out of my playbook anyway. I've got a 3/4 ton '69 lwb 2wd truck.

Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 03:13 PM   #12
Hotrod70C10
Low & Slow

You're going to have to atleast get a new set of front wheels regardless of what rotor you go with. Those old drum wheels won't fit over the rotors or calipers.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:51 PM   #13
73stepside

i've been looking at mcgaughy's and early classic set-ups. both are excellent castings from what i hear. any way you decide to do it, there is alot of support to do just about anything. it all depends on how much you are willing to spend. i personally want to keep the origianl style front end on mine.
73stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 06:25 PM   #14
GMC69

Well just got back from ordering a few things and getting prices.
Here is what I did so far

I bought a panhard bar ( should be in Tuesday)
Bought 4" drop springs ( should be in wednesday)
got prices for front end suspension ( ball joints, tie rod ends, etc...) and the 69 parts a cheaper that the newer style. So I am probably going to saty with as much of the 69 front suspension as possible and get drop spindles that can accept brakes for the 72 and up.

The auto parts store was telling me that the listing for the calipers is the same from 72-78 so I have a 78 front suspension complete sitting outside so I may be able to steal a few parst off of that.

Now all I have to do is compare the different companies, price, shipping, what they accept for brakes etc.... and make a decision.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
Old 08-30-2003, 01:41 AM   #15
GMC JUNKIE TOO
THE QUICKER FIXERUPER

I habe the mcgaughy's kit and its awsome I had allready rebuilt the front end so I just took off the old spindles and put on the new stuff. I had to change the mastercylinder and prop valve. Major improvement.
GMC JUNKIE TOO is offline   Reply With Quote