The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
western star

Bolting a coil down question.

I lowered my 71. The front was done by refabricating the lower A-arms and cutting 1 coil out. It looks and turned out sweet. The front end will have to be set up but that's cool. My question is I have cut out 1 1/2 coils out of the back and it sits just where I want it and I still have a good ride after going to shorter shocks but how do you bolt the rear coil down now that I have cut the smaller coil out. I have heard of guys putting a plate through the last coil on the bottom but figured someone may have a better way or a picture on what you have done.
western star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:52 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I have a question about your front end. What do you mean by "The front was done by refabricating the lower A-arms" . Did you section the A-arms, or what. Show pics if you have them.

I'm a 73-87 owner, so I can't help a lot on the coil spring rear question from my own experience. It would seem pretty simple to make a plate with a center bolt to clamp the spring in...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:01 PM   #3
orange71

I am pretty sure that if the rears are cut they wont bolt back in in both places. someone correct me if im wrong!! Another alternative is to buy just the lowered rear springs. I hope this helps!
orange71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:30 PM   #4
western star

Yes they will but you have to make a clamp the holds them down. I know how some people do this but I was hoping to find a better idea from others. As far as how the A-arms were changed well this idea is being used by a company in Calf but a guy around here is doing it the same way. You take the bottom arm and cut behind the ball joint. You move that whole piece with ball joint up 3 " and build a new section around it. I don't have a pic but it works slick. You are removing a coil or better. It changes your alinement a little but you can get it back to normal easily. It cost about $80.00 for a fabricator / welder to do this and you have to be straight on your cutting and welding. The street rodders have been doing this for years.
western star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 02:01 PM   #5
Hotrod70C10
Low & Slow

If i was you I would just go pick up a pair of 5" or 6" drop springs for the rear. That way you can just use the spring cups that the factory springs use. Just my .02
Old 09-02-2003, 03:50 PM   #6
COBALT

Yes, depending on your fabrication experience it may be cheaper to get drop coils then it would be to fabricate new clamps.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote