The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2022, 12:54 AM   #1
WORSTxONE

New to me 77 K30

Hello all, names Thomas. I recently got help from my brother in law and best friend buying a 77 K30 from my uncle. He bought it for the Dana 60 and 14 bolt rear. Now here is the bummer part, my uncle kept the axles. Which isn't the best but isn't the worse. My brother in law had a set of axles out of a 83 K20 so we installed those last weekend and I brought it home. I believe they are a Corporate 10 bolt and a Semi-Float 14 bolt. For what I plan to do with this truck is to use it as a work truck for fixing some farm and construction equipment from my side hustle. Later on I plan to swap in some beefier axles, but I have to hustle first. It was a farm truck but luckily the only "farmer" modification is a hooky push start switch wired in. And the only safety issue is the hinge mounts on the drivers door are ripping the sheet metal, so I am picking up a couple matching complete doors this week. Anyway here is what I got.

Oh and the best part is that its a FLAT BED!!!!!

Side note, I forgot that I found some matching 16" wheels and am getting tires this week. The wheels match the front style but aren't 16.5s. LOL Over all it's a decent solid truck. Has a 350, SM465, and a NP205. It needs a carb or the carb to be rebuilt/fiddled with. But all in all I am happy with not only the truck but the potential.

Last edited by WORSTxONE; 01-11-2024 at 03:02 AM.
WORSTxONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:36 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: New to me 77 K30

Nice find for sure. Not a bad cast-off from someone wanting the axles. First year 1t 4wd.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:44 PM   #3
WORSTxONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Nice find for sure. Not a bad cast-off from someone wanting the axles. First year 1t 4wd.

For sure, it seems to be a fairly solid truck. I got some new wheels on it today then a buddy and I when for a short road trip and got a new unused LMC drivers door, a factory chrome front bumper, and a heavy duty rear bumper that doesn't seem to fit the flatbed well so it may get sold.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:46 AM   #4
WORSTxONE

I got a decent quadrajet from my brother in law as well as the axles. After I got the tires on the truck I took it for a little drive and well the carb is worn out just a little. I needed to get some new lug-nuts to install the new tires/wheels and I bought a carb rebuild it as well. Actually I bought both kits the store had cause I didn't know which one I needed. But after digging through this forum for a good bit I wanted to pass on this website that was mentioned on to anyone else that needs the same help I did.

https://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp

Also, the kits from O'reilys are made by Walker Products, and here is another website that has, what I think, is some good information for rebuilding these old Quadrajets.

https://www.walkerproducts.com/instr...rt_num=151038a
Old 04-04-2022, 01:15 AM   #5
franken

I like most any 4x4 but a 1-ton sounds pretty respectable.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:54 PM   #6
WORSTxONE

Well I have a couple updates. First, my brother rebuilt a quadrajet that he had, but unfortunately it had a gross vacuum leak due to a cracked body. Second, I have been helping my pops clean up behind his shop and come to find out there were two decent looking correct fenders. I only need the drivers side fender that way I can hang my new door, but I will use them both and hold on to the others to use for patch work. Lastly, I decided to try my hand at rebuilding the quadrajet that wouldn't run well when I purchased the truck. So, after cleaning it for a few days after work I installed a new carb kit and put it in the truck and surprised the heck out of myself. After a couple pumps of the pedal and a few seconds hitting the starter she came to life and runs like a sowing machine. I have been reading on tuning the carb and will try to make sure it is as good as I can get it or I will take it to the old man here in town and have him tune it.

Before I installed the carb I had to take this rod off the old carb cause mine was missing. Yes, I do have the choke zip-tied open cause I need to either install the heat riser style or something else. But for summer it will do.

And here are the fenders I found. And tbh I think this will be the new paint scheme.

Also, this weekend I hope to install the correct u-bolts and plates I bought from Off Road Design for my 12-bolt. As well as change the oil in everything and wash/clean it.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:02 AM   #7
LT7A

That's a cool truck. When you were talking about cleaning the carb for a few days after work, I tried to understand why it took a few days. Then I saw the picture, haha. Great job on that. I'm glad that it came out well. And thanks for the carb info websites, I saved both of them.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:32 PM   #8
WORSTxONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
That's a cool truck. When you were talking about cleaning the carb for a few days after work, I tried to understand why it took a few days. Then I saw the picture, haha. Great job on that. I'm glad that it came out well. And thanks for the carb info websites, I saved both of them.
I was just taking my time cleaning it. And wanted to make sure it worked when I was done. Lol
Old 10-19-2022, 05:39 PM   #9
wazzabie

would you consider swapping the front to a dana 60?
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:01 PM   #10
WORSTxONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzabie View Post
would you consider swapping the front to a dana 60?
Sorry to the long delay in a response. But yes I am currently looking for tons to put back under the rig. However, for the moment I am going to run the 3/4 ton axles. I don't plan on beating the rig up, so I am not worried just yet about the longevity of the axles.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:07 PM   #11
WORSTxONE

Due to a couple back surgeries and some other health issues I have been neglecting in making any progress on the flatbed. I have in 2024 returned to work and have started to slowly work on the rig. I am currently fitting the new re-pop drivers door, in order to install some better fenders, then swap the door parts from the old door to the new one. Progress is kind of slow, also in part to my current divorce, so bare with me.