The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
Ackattack

Project No-buck!

I'm sure many of us have seen Rokcrln's great build thread of his truck he call Low-Buck. So I'm going to call this build Project No-Buck!

Last night I picked up a 69 3/4 Ton GMC 2wd. Pretty basic, V8 with what looked likes an aftermarket intake, edelbrock carb, and HEI distributor. I believe its a Dana 60 rear with probably 4.56 gears. As for options, it looked liked it has a posi and the ammeter, voltage, and oil pressure gages. It has power steering, but no power brakes, and leaf springs I bought all of this pile of goodness for $250. Oh, it has a brand new battery too.

I stopped by autozone on my way home and got some power steering fluid + stop leak and added to the resorivor. It was bone dry and no help. I was hopefully that all it needed was some fluid, and after a few minutes of running and working the wheel back and forth it seems to work. I assume that it is continuing to leak....but at least I don't need to be herculese to drive it.

I got home after dark last night, so no pictures.

The basic idea is to fix it up with basically as little money as possible, hopefully using leftover parts from Bruiser, my 68 C-10 and hopefully free parts I can get and/or barter for.

My first projects to tackle are basic safety items.

The rear taillights weren't working correctly or the blinkers. Hopefully its just some bulbs and flashers. No high beams either.

The drivers side door is pretty much falling off. I'd like to get a "new" door. The door is crushed in and the hinge has pretty much fallen off. I may be able to weld the hinge back on, but a new door would be best.

It also needs new seat belts. I dug the seat belt out from under the seat for my mayden trip home. The webbing is torn about 2/3 of the way through. I figured it was slightly better than nothing, so used it for my way home.

Other things it needs:
-Fix parking brake....hopefully that is just a simple adjustment
-Some tunes. The dash is uncut, so I figure I'll put in the AM radio I have and mod it to hook up my IPOD via FrizzleFry's mod
-cleaned out. Not only did this truck include the truck, but it also included a bed load of trash!!!! Luckily there was a tarp in there that I used some zip ties to secure the load with so that it wouldn't fly out on my way home.
-fix the heater controls. basically all of the levers are broken off so its bellowing out hot air
-fan shroud

As for the plans (these are in the distant future)
cut the bed to a short bed
lower it into the weeds (may Z the frame to help get it there)
paint it with some flat paint
would like to switch to some 3.08 gears. I kept it at 50mph on the highway cause I didn't want to wrap it up too much. (no working tach) easiest way would be to switch to a 12 bolt rear.
it needs all the usual floor, inner/out rockers replaced.

Here's the unfortunate part: In building my 68, I also bought a 3/4 ton parts truck. And between the parts truck and everything I took out of the 68 I pretty much had all of the parts that I now need for No-buck (including 3/4 ton disk brakes). I sold what I could and then gave the rest away. Oh well.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote