The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
bowton

help with "69 C20 rear shock mounts

I am doing a light restoration of a '69 C20 Custom Camper Special.

I am stuck on the rear shock replacement because I thought it would be easy

If someone could tell me what stock looks like I would really appreciate it since mine has been basterized through previous owners.

I bought some Gabriel OEM replacment shocks and need to figure out the proper way to mount them.

See attached pictures. The first picture is the right rear. It looks like someone welded a shock bolt to the bracket. The outside diameter of this is too large to fit within the Gabriel sleeve/bushing.

The second picture is the left (drivers side) rear. This looks like it might be factory but it is bent as well. Not really sure what I am looking at.

There are two holes in the bracket one forward and one aft. Which was used at the factory to mount shocks? Was the factory hardware? Bolted through one of these holes? If someone can suggest a remedy I would really appreciate it.

I have an angle grinder so If I have to cut off the welded one and grind the weld fillet out I have that capability.
Attached Images

bowton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
PepperTreeGarage

Re: help with "69 C20 rear shock mounts

The Stock location on my '72 Custom Camper is the hole towards the front. I see someone added the Hellwig 7402 aftermarket Sway Bar to your truck. Mine came with one also. They seem to have been a popular add on. I cleaned mine up and re-installed it.
Attached Images

PepperTreeGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #3
bowton

Thank you PepperTreeGarage for your feedback. Man I am jealous looking at your truck. You did an excellent job. It looks amazing.

Appreciate everything I learn about this truck. I thought the sway bar was a factory item because my option list on the glove box shows "heavy duty suspension" and I assumed that this was part of the package.

Can you tell me what the shocks are that you are using on your truck? How are they attached to the bracket? Did the hardware come with the shocks or did you have to source it separately, or is it mounted to a factory stud.
bowton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
PepperTreeGarage

They are aftermarket Nitrogen Gas filled factory style shocks that are shorter for my lowered application. They attach as the stock ones do. I did upgrade the bolts and such to grade 8 hardware. The under carriage of our truck was like yours when we first got it. Pic of the Sway Bar when we first got the truck and one of how it sits now being lowered. It's still 100% C20 3/4 ton and will be used to haul and tow. We did clean up and re cut the sway bar mounting brackets. More pics of the build here: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...8891335&type=3
Attached Images

PepperTreeGarage is offline   Reply With Quote