The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #26
05snopro440

Re: My daughter's '46 International P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska gasser View Post
I've actually found 3 more just driving around lately. Most people saved everything up here because it is expensive to get parts for anything (cars or housewares). A couple of guys I have talked to fly around and find cars. Then they go find them on the ground. Some finds include a few Hemi cars and SS Chevelles.
When my dad got his 41 KB-1 in about 1998-99 we started finding all kinds of trucks around. The International trucks aren't that popular for hot rod fodder, and there were a ton of them and they were well-built, so there are still a ton of them in fields and in the bush, that people don't seem to want. I think we had 4 trucks at one point.
05snopro440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #27
alaska gasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee007 View Post
I've signed up~ you are going to let Diana write some of the posts in the near future? I have 3 daughters, and I guess I failed in getting them interested in classic car fun! computers, cell phone texting and boys won out!
dne'
Hi! This is Diana. I've always been a bit of an oddball. I like books and drawing more than computers and texting, and I like to do anything that involves hanging out with dad (he's awesome). I recently got a rebuilt motor that I'm hoping to pick up in the next few days. I have a winter break coming up between semesters in college that should give at least a little bit of garage time to make some progress. Hopefully there will be more news soon!

~ Diana

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592769 My daughter's '46 International PU
alaska gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #28
Indian113

Diana, your not a oddball I have daughters quite a bit like you. In fact my youngest is 25 and put herself thru college and just recently got her Master's while holding down a full time job. She has trouble finding a decent date because she's into 50-60's music, old cars and trucks. She told me as soon as she gets her student loans paid off she wants a old car or truck for us too work on. You've got a great project going and a real good relationship with your Dad and that's worth a lot in my Book.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #29
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Diana,, You are not odd at all ,,more like down to earth like my daughter..Lucky for me she is moving here close to where we live and she already wants to help me change out my bench seat this spring to the buckets I bought last year..

I have enjoyed reading and looking at one great task you and your dad has taken on with this truck and will follow it closely ..I will share this what you both are doing with my Pamela and I know she will enjoy it also .. thx for sharin with us..
Old 11-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
Denee007

Hi Diana!
Nice to see you write! It'd be nice of you two to share in the writings of your accomplishments, and even problems as they are part of the experience. Now for being an Oddball? I must be a real Oddball! lol Eh, there's nothing which keeps any human from doing whatever they want to do. In my book, I feel the he or she should make no difference. It's just whatever interests us, and it's a plus that you and your father have such a great relationship whatever projects and life experiences brings
I wish you the best and look forward to seeing you here often
Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
dne'

67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #31
jmcleek

Hey this is Becca, jmcleek's daughter. Well, my Dad and I had a project going in 2012 while I was going to college. It is a 87 Ford Ranger. I started liking Rangers whenever my sister got a 88 Diamond Edition Extended Cab from one of my Great Uncles. It needed some work so my sister sat out there and watched my Dad work and I helped a little. After we had finally got it running with a Crown Victorian 5.0 instead of the 6-cylander 2.8 that was in there it became fully my sister's vehicle. After I had gotten into a little "incident" with it (forgetting to wash the mud off it after I went mudding in the highway median) my forgiving sister wouldn't let me drive it anymore. And after about a year and a half working on it, she taught it to roll over and play dead in a ditch in no time at all. Well after driving some duds that my Mom thought would be a great idea to get I finally got to chose what I wanted. After looking around my family noticed a 87 Ranger single cab on a hill with a "for sale" sign on it. After getting it and working on it for a little while trying to get the original engine in it to work, my Dad made the executive decision to pull that one and put the engine that had been in my sister's truck in it and modify it so that it would fit and changed it from electronic fuel injection to carberated and got rid of all the computer related stuff because the Old Man did want to mess with it. I helped any chance I got from between school and work and we got it done in about one semester. We are still tweeking with it, but it is a daily driver and I sometimes bring it into the school lab rooms because the teachers are interested in it.

What are you going to school for? I'm going for an Associates Degree in Automotive Technology.
jmcleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #32
alaska gasser

GOPAPA- Sounds about like me. I can't find a decent date because I'm more mature than kids my age. I get along with adults far better. That's awesome that she is responsible, and that she wants to do a project like that with you! I wouldn't even have my truck if my dad hadn't asked me if any of the cars interested me before we left the yard of old cars that day. I happened to see my truck, and we bought it. My first international body was scheduled for the crushers in three days because the guy didn't want to piece the cars off. My dad is an amazing person that I aspire to be like. I wouldn't trade him for the world! Thanks for being so interested in our build! I'm as excited as you guys to see the final result.

Denee007- I have had a lot of little blunders in working on this truck, since I don't know what I'm doing without being shown. One of the days dad showed me how to drill holes in the metal, then went back inside to do something. Four broken bits later I felt bad and came and told him I broke them and that I could pay him back, and he laughed at me! Apparently he had those for a long time. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

jmcleek- That's sad about your sister banning your use of the car and her rolling it, but I found it funny how you described it. That was awesome! My dad made an executive decision with my truck too. On the botom of the back of the cab the metal was ribbed, and he wanted to remove it. I said it was fine, and left for school. When I returned, that section was missing, and he said I "wasn't available, so he made an executive decision." Haha! He was right though since it looks better without it. I'm one semester away from graduating with a general AA. I didn't figure out what I wanted to do for a bachelor's degree until a month ago, and now I will have to go back for the Associate's in Human Services to get the Bachelor's in it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592769 My daughter's '46 International PU

Last edited by alaska gasser; 11-28-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #33
Highsider

OT - in one of the first few photos, was that a Morris gasser?
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #34
05snopro440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highsider View Post
OT - in one of the first few photos, was that a Morris gasser?
Are you talking about his Thames?

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
05snopro440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:54 PM   #35
alaska gasser

Highsider- It is a '48 1/4 ton Thames Panel.

It has an Opal GT front suspension.

It has a sbc with a 671 Jimmy blower. This is plenty of horsepower with the weight ratio (about 2400 lbs.). It is a handleful to keep straight when you stand on it. The tranny is a 700R4.

The fuzzy dice from the previous owner in these pictures has been removed!

I used to like how small it is, but I'm looking forward to selling it to help finance my extended cab build.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #36
alaska gasser

Well it has been awhile as Diana has been very busy working and going to college full time. We did get a few more things done to it a bit ago.

We went to a yard sale and picked up 4 old Cragar SST's and tires for $40. Diana was less than enthusiastic with their looks.

She got a little more excited after the clean up. There is still some deep rust, but not bad.

Installed with a couple of lugs I had lying around. I went to all the local tire shops to get more of the proper deep sunk lug nuts (without one for show and tell because I didn't think I needed to) and every person I spoke to told me there were NEVER any lugs made like that. I went on EBAY and ordered a set when I got home.

Bought a used roll pan from a late 50's Chev truck, so I used my tailgate to help mock it up and have a look.

The old bed extensions are in poor shape, so we are going to have new ones bent up to replace them and match up to the pan.

That's it for now.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #37
alaska gasser

Here are a few of the pictures that disappeared on page 1.

I stopped working on my extended cab so we can try to get the International running and driving next summer. It won't be finished, but Diana is ready to drive it and I'm looking forward to cleaning out the stack of parts and spare parts that are piled up to use and "just in case."

Here are the new bed extensions. If you look close, you'll see that they are both left sides. I'm waiting for the new right side pieces to be made up.

Installed the drop down battery box bracket.

The motor mounts were just tacked in. Made the motor mount extensions and installed the mounts.

I got a "good deal" on a complete brake setup......for an early Ford with an X member. I had to cut up the entire bracket setup, revamp and got it installed. Tacked together for now. Once I pull the cab, etc. I'll finish welding everything mounted to the frame.

That is the brake line that is bent up above the master cylinder. Due to that rusty spot, I'm replacing all the lines.

I'll have to get more pictures to get caught back up with the progress.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #38
flashed

That is going to be a killer ride .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:10 AM   #39
alaska gasser

Here are the '48 Chev stake pockets we are using. Before and after it was cut down for better proportions.

Compared to the stock square pockets. These look a lot better.

The new bed floor and 6 of the mounts are in. The front two mounts still need to be fabricated.

The new grill needed a lot of straightening, but it didn't have any rust.

Replaced the filler piece between the hood and fight fender.

After looking for several years, we finally found a tailgate that was for sale and for a reasonable price. It is quite rough.

All 4 "patches" have to be removed to help get everything squared back up and they just need to go!! This is interesting due to the "checker board" pattern.

In the ballpark...but a long way to go.

This is how much it is bowed from top to bottom....

and this is from side to side.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #40
alaska gasser

Both front fenders are rusted in the center.

I cut the matching sections from a pair of old '48 Chev fenders I have. These also drop down faster in the curve than the stock International fenders. This is good as it helps close the wheel well up and helps it look better. I hand made the rest of the patch.

The paper pattern shows the stock wheel well curve and you can now see the new curve.

This is the stock S10 lower A arm support.

The exhaust manifolds we are using dumps right on top of the matching one on the driver's side. I had to shorten it up to make some more room. It will be welded solid once we pull the body back off.

Here is the firewall with all it's holes.

Smoothed out.

Shoved it outside.

The tailgate, roll pan and bed extensions are just clamped together for the moment.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #41
HemiChallenger71

Was just looking at your build thread over on 348-409. Small world. Looks like this project is coming together nicely.
HemiChallenger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #42
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Nice looking build!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #43
flashed

She is going to look good in that cool old truck ,one of my favorites on here .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #44
ricott

I love your daughter's truck! I don't know how I've missed the updates, but I'm sure glad ya'll (southern term) are making progress. Hope she gets to drive it next summer (even if it is only around the yard!).

Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #45
alaska gasser

Got a little more done. The bed extensions are all welded on now and I got the gas tank installed.

Inside the cab.

All the bed mounts are in.

I finished the stake pocket extensions on the front two.

I did not get any tailgate mounts, so I dug through my parts and came up with a pair for a '48 Chev p/u and the set from the S10.

All the extra parts removed.

We started to work on the Airstream at this point, so the International had to go outside to make room to lay out the plywood for that project.

It's back in the shop, but no progress yet.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #46
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Just came across this.
Very cool
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #47
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Awesome. Love the chevy fender treatment, they do look better.

Those cabs are awesome, they almost look like they've been chopped an inch or two.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #48
Indian113

I bet your daughter is just itching to drive it ! I love the way you took care of the front fenders. This is going to be Awesome- Lookin GOOD
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #49
Daman

I just sold my '48 this last summer. Going through this thread has many similar pics of my build

Daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:13 PM   #50
alaska gasser

There has been more progress on the Airstream. That meant the International went back outside. We had a bad windstorm the other day.

Fortunately, the shop kept the tree away from Diana's truck. It was also good I waited (procrastinated) about putting my son's white enclosed trailer, in the background of the picture, away as it would have been hit by the tree.