The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

67-72 frame conversion for 63 Knee Knocker Cab and Bed

I recently purchased a 69 SWB frame that is setup for power steering, it has the factory "notch" for the power steering gear box.
My plan is to use it under my 63 truck cab and bed.
Unlike any of my GMC's this frame has trailing arms instead of the leaf springs on the rear. Good for what I am looking to do with the truck
My question is, has anyone in this forum done a conversion of this type, the 67-72 frame for a 60-66 cab and kept a photo log of it start to finish?
I see the rear cab mounts and first few inches of the frame horns are different. Also a cross member that is rivited on at the front is also different.
I have a 5 lug/disk front suspension and I am wondering if there are any 5 lug rear diff's that will bolt in or is buying two new 5 lug axles the way to go?
I have a new digital camera in hand and I will be starting by tacking new frame horns on the front of the frame and go from there.
Just so anyone reading this knows, I have done the adapter bit for power steering and other adapted mods and while the end result was functional, it wasn't what I call pretty or did it look factory.
My aim is to build a clean looking 4 wheeled rocket and have every aspect look factory original whether it was or not.

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac

Last edited by 66-PMD-GMC; 07-03-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling and punctuation
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote