The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2021, 12:43 PM   #2051
pjmoreland

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Finished disassembling my bed floor. Painted the angled strips to match the body color. Painted the flat strips black.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:58 PM   #2052
paul blair

Installing new brake lines, master cylinder and manual valve. I took lots of time and care but found a few leaks. Hope to fix today! Was fun until the leaks.
Attached Images

paul blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #2053
Bbarbeau

Took me a while but finally got to the hitch, brake controller, wiring. Got the camper mirrors back on too!
Attached Images

Bbarbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #2054
murguia

I’ve had this NOS camper step sitting from a prior truck I sold, so today I slapped it on the 68 custom camper. Don’t think I’ll use it but I just didn’t want it sitting
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by murguia; 04-12-2021 at 09:58 PM.
murguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #2055
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Getting ready to send out the A/C valves, figured to see if they have to be re-plated or somethin'. Few hours later, hopefully they can rebuild these without having to re-plate them.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #2056
DT1

Just finished redoing my tailgate band. This time I used 3M woodgrain vinyl wrap instead of the tape available from the classic truck sites. It's simple to apply and lasts much longer.
Attached Images

DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:26 PM   #2057
67C10Step

A bit more underhood cleanup and finally finished converting the oil bath breather to paper element. Slipped it back on the old 283. Cover looks terrible but it is covered with pine tree pollen. Dang spring. Now I wish I had painted that master cylinder before I installed it.
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:02 PM   #2058
72 Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
Just finished redoing my tailgate band. This time I used 3M woodgrain vinyl wrap instead of the tape available from the classic truck sites. It's simple to apply and lasts much longer.
That looks really good.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:56 PM   #2059
allchevy58

Quote:
Looks good, I used the tape from one of the truck places and it bubbled up and shrank and it's not out in the weather much. Where did you fine the 3M wrap?
1927 Willy's Knight 24,000 original miles, 1958 Impala 283/Powerglide, 1964 C-30 383/4 speed, 1971 Monte Carlo 350/350, 1972 GMC K2500 350/350, 1976 Chev. K10 350/350, 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ Duramax/Allison, 2006 Chev. Silverado K3500 LBZ Duramax/Allison
allchevy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:33 AM   #2060
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Getting a lot done on my project, but stretching new lines for the transmission cooler was big to me, means I can mount the cab and bed. The lines were cut on the old ones because the owner favored an auxiliary and completely bypassed the radiator. Came out clean all the way around, but I was especially ecstatic to see the lines lay into the oil pan clip like intended. They slid right in, no real tension on the clip.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 04-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #2061
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Man, that looks so clean - love the paint. I remember when my painted engine looked that good after it was re-installed LOL

So I am going on day two with my truck in the shop for my frontend refresh. Technically it is not what I am doing to the truck but having done! Seems every step they hit a time suck roadblock. It was decided my break lines needed replacing (I bought front/rear lines because I thought they would want to replace them). The passenger side line was frozen/stuck on and some previous owner mucked them up on top of that. Now they are finally into replacing the ball joints. They aren't coming out like they should and are requiring to be heated up with a torch, yet another time suck.

They expect everything to be back together much later today but there won't be enough time to get the front end aligned (different shop). Which I guess that is also time consuming because it requires shims to get aligned. I hadn't even asked for a estimate because they thought they would be done in a day. Now we are looking at two full days of shop and then the alignment on Monday. I kind of started freaking on the call this morning but he assured me he is not counting the clock and so far I am still under my high end number. That is assuming they don't run into more roadblocks. But at least the whole front end, rubber brake lines, and my sway bar will be all done.

It seems Peace of Mind can get costly LOL

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:58 AM   #2062
Chevys4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Getting a lot done on my project, but stretching new lines for the transmission cooler was big to me, means I can mount the cab and bed. The lines were cut on the old ones because the owner favored an auxiliary and completely bypassed the radiator. Came out clean all the way around, but I was especially ecstatic to see the lines lay into the oil pan clip like intended. They slid right in, no real tension on the clip.
Yes............that is one nice looking restoration you have going there!!!
Chevys4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #2063
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Talking Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
Man, that looks so clean - love the paint. I remember when my painted engine looked that good after it was re-installed LOL

So I am going on day two with my truck in the shop for my frontend refresh. Technically it is not what I am doing to the truck but having done! Seems every step they hit a time suck roadblock. It was decided my break lines needed replacing (I bought front/rear lines because I thought they would want to replace them). The passenger side line was frozen/stuck on and some previous owner mucked them up on top of that. Now they are finally into replacing the ball joints. They aren't coming out like they should and are requiring to be heated up with a torch, yet another time suck.

They expect everything to be back together much later today but there won't be enough time to get the front end aligned (different shop). Which I guess that is also time consuming because it requires shims to get aligned. I hadn't even asked for a estimate because they thought they would be done in a day. Now we are looking at two full days of shop and then the alignment on Monday. I kind of started freaking on the call this morning but he assured me he is not counting the clock and so far I am still under my high end number. That is assuming they don't run into more roadblocks. But at least the whole front end, rubber brake lines, and my sway bar will be all done.

It seems Peace of Mind can get costly LOL
I'm in part's prison myself, A/C pending Original Air's high sign to send, and word is the wiring will take another four months, and that might be optimistic.

Costly is right, and thanks above. While I do most of the work myself less body, finishes and cores, I've probably blown 2K on just do-overs and not quite right and another 4K for the garage.

Have to say the details at this point come at a surprise, already removed the radiator once just to get the lines slid in. Slid the fan shroud in like butter last night to find it's too short for the top brackets, so I'll try cutting the top pads, but I may have to cut the bottoms too, meaning I'd have to re-adjust the trans. lines. And I get to install the fan again only to pull it again, and again and again The good news is I can slot the slots in the fan shroud if I have to. Should see the old shroud, on one side a hole was drilled three places beyond the factory slots

EDIT: Radiator pads have little or nothing to do with fitting a shroud Just ordered two new pads speak of do overs, and looks like the top radiator brackets will need refinishing too. I don't know how GM got those shrouds on right without bending the top bracket, anyone? Could be why so many shrouds were torn up at the bottom by fans. Don't know about small blocks, but the bottom shrouds for a BBC have a clip that slides into the core support.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-17-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:10 PM   #2064
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by allchevy58 View Post
Looks good, I used the tape from one of the truck places and it bubbled up and shrank and it's not out in the weather much. Where did you fine the 3M wrap?
Amazon
3M DI-NOC WG-430 MARINE TEAK WOODGRAIN 15in x 72in Vinyl
Old 04-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #2065
allchevy58

Quote:
Amazon
3M DI-NOC WG-430 MARINE TEAK WOODGRAIN 15in x 72in Vinyl
Thanks, so you cut it to fit? Does it match the original grain and match lower side moulding? Maybe we'll see you around, looks like you have another 67'-72'. We usually go to the inliners show in Minden and misc. shows around Reno- Carson City area.
1927 Willy's Knight 24,000 original miles, 1958 Impala 283/Powerglide, 1964 C-30 383/4 speed, 1971 Monte Carlo 350/350, 1972 GMC K2500 350/350, 1976 Chev. K10 350/350, 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ Duramax/Allison, 2006 Chev. Silverado K3500 LBZ Duramax/Allison
Old 04-16-2021, 11:55 PM   #2066
fourspeedwagon

I spent several hours chasing a no start / electrical problem. I previously had found the hot wire from the battery to ignition had worn through and shorted out. I replaced the wire and it turned over but didn’t start. Checked for voltage to the HEI distributor. 12.4V I thought maybe the module was bad so I took the cap off. Rotor looked like someone took a bite out of it.. a chunk of the rotor was MIA. I went and got a new cap and rotor and put them on. Nothing. Swapped coils- nothing. Swiped the module out of my ‘71 so I’d have a known good unit.Nope. Finally pulled the condenser out of a spare distributor and put that in. Bango! We have fire! Must’ve had that cap off 20 times today.
Still no idea what happened to the rotor and can’t believe that the bits weren’t inside?
Attached Images

“People are shocked when they find out I’m not a good electrician”
Dad told me “Son, never strike a man in anger- unless you’re certain you can get away with it”
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:55 AM   #2067
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by allchevy58 View Post
Thanks, so you cut it to fit? Does it match the original grain and match lower side moulding? Maybe we'll see you around, looks like you have another 67'-72'. We usually go to the inliners show in Minden and misc. shows around Reno- Carson City area.
Just cut it with a razor knife and straight edge. It's a lot easier to apply than the adhesive tape and is suppose to last longer. It's also a very close match to the repop tape. So close that it doesn't bother me at all.
I have a new, 3" wide roll of the repop stuff for the tailgate band and some for the side molding if you want it or know anyone that does, I'll let it go for free.

Here's a pic of the 72
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2021, 03:43 PM   #2068
FL71C10

Installed my back window. Spent at least 2 hours polishing the trim first. No fun getting the gasket on the window and the trim in the gasket. Once we had it done, installing the window itself only took a few minutes. My friend held the window up on the outside and I pulled the rope from the inside. Everything dropped in nicely and it looks nice and tight!
Attached Images

Last edited by FL71C10; 04-18-2021 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Pics
FL71C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:44 PM   #2069
allchevy58

My son finished polishing and we installed the bed. Time to bring it home and reassemble.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2021, 07:59 AM   #2070
Happy_dan

Replaced right front parking light/blinker and took it for it's first ride around he block after the engine rebuild. It seems fine, I am relieved. Great to drive it again. Next trip will be longer as I build confidence.
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:31 AM   #2071
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_dan View Post
Replaced right front parking light/blinker and took it for it's first ride around he block after the engine rebuild. It seems fine, I am relieved. Great to drive it again. Next trip will be longer as I build confidence.
great news Dan.i can just imagine it felt awful nice to drive your truck again?
good work.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:45 PM   #2072
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Finally got my truck back from a complete front end refresh (minus springs), new flex brake lines (front and back) and a flush of the brake fluid. And to top it off with a cherry a CPP Sway Bar.

It's like a completely different truck at every level with its steering and handling - at any speed, any test road, on all kinds of turns/speeds.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #2073
72c20customcamper

Lost a NOS hubcap off my 85
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:48 PM   #2074
Ekliptix

I re-sprayed my C10's door inserts with VHT Vinyl Dye. This stuff works amazing. I used it on my 70 blazer console with great success too.

And got some help cleaning the wheels from my 19 month old.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:53 PM   #2075
Woodnears

Finally finished this panel and mounted it. I’m embarrassed to say how long this took me!
Attached Images