The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2017, 02:31 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Advertising worth it? Graveyard Cars for instance.

I love Mopars (sorry Chevy only diehards) and I love the builds they do on Graveyard Cars. Probably some of the best build quality of any of the car shows. But I have a serious problem with the owner Mark and his shenanigans, its cringe worthy. Its weird but it makes me uncomfortable to watch a lot of the show. So to my question ...

Its so incredibly easy to DVR record shows these days, it makes it easy to blast through the Wormans (sp) of the world, and I also blast right past the ads. There are some shows I have no problem watching live. We catch some of the advertising while chatting and waiting for the show to come back on.

I have no idea how the advertising world works. I wonder how they determine a show is worth advertising on. I bet Graveyard Cars has great ratings because of the amazing work they do. But I bet a ton of people do the same as me and fast forward through a large part of it.

What shows do you blast through because you like part of it, but not enough of it to just sit and watch a whole episode?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Advertising worth it? Graveyard Cars for instance.

I couldn't agree with you more on that one. Their builds are very impressive, complete and authentic. The first few seasons were awful. Those two fools they got rid of won't be missed. Mark's love and knowledge of all things Mopar is impressive and all but geez, give it a break guy. Most of us don't know what all those codes he keeps spewing are and don't care.
We can only believe the show's producers are in love with the guy to let all his crap go as far as they do. The mute button is your friend.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Most businesses that advertise on TV already make so much money and are already so well known that the advertising is at least as much of a tax deduction as it is putting the word out on their product and/or preserving their space at the top. Who hasn't heard of McDonalds or doesn't know what food they serve? How many ads in general actually tell you about their products? Most just present a short feel good scene or something catchy with the product name put out there.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-08-2017 at 08:11 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:57 AM   #4
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I am also a Mopar fan. But I cannot watch that show. That guy is just too irritating. I can't stand him.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
novice

Daughter is smoking HOT though!!!
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Most businesses that advertise on TV already make so much money and are already so well known that the advertising is at least as much of a tax deduction as it is putting the word out on their product and/or preserving their space at the top. Who hasn't heard of McDonalds or doesn't know what food they serve? How many ads in general actually tell you about their products? Most just present a short feel good scene or something catchy with the product name put out there.
This is kinda how I think too. Just keep the name out there. I recently saw a comparison of old car ads vs new. The old ones go through what used to be all the great features of a car or truck (obviously some new ads still do), but take a new Volvo ad. Back in the day Volvo ads we're totally about safety. Today they are mini 60 second feel good movies. Very little about the actual car.

I only used Graveyard Cars as an example of does advertising give the bang for the buck anymore? Didn't mean for this to spin in to a general GC bash.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Coley

Advertising absolutely works.....even tho' we are often unaware of its subtle message.
Its a funny thing....given how much people find it annoying but, yes...it definitely works.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
harpo231

Anyone who thinks they can only get a laugh by calling someone else names or other hurtful things should not be in the public eye,, I find it repulsive .
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
This is kinda how I think too. Just keep the name out there. I recently saw a comparison of old car ads vs new. The old ones go through what used to be all the great features of a car or truck (obviously some new ads still do), but take a new Volvo ad. Back in the day Volvo ads we're totally about safety. Today they are mini 60 second feel good movies. Very little about the actual car.

I only used Graveyard Cars as an example of does advertising give the bang for the buck anymore? Didn't mean for this to spin in to a general GC bash.
I only commented on advertising in general and didn't bash GC because I never saw the show. So it doesn't bother me at all and their advertisers certainly aren't working on me

Yes, advertising works... on a surprising amount of people. Yes, there are people that it will never work on as well

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #10
davischevy

Be happy you have never had to sit through Mark Worman making a complete and total fool out of himself on GC special-K.

Somebody mentioned his daughter. I am sure she was switched at birth at the hospital.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Defective personality, ey?

Tim

Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #12
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I like the show when it's about the cars and not the BS too. They do give a lot facts on Mopar trivia. I'd love to go up there and get a nicer shell for my 71 Challenger from the many he has setting there. But, I'm just going to sell the car. Mopar parts are too expensive.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #13
78chevstepside

Mark workman is one strange man . I used to work a lot a few blocks from graveyard cars . Springfield oregon not far from the papermill . I record the show and skip over the weirdness.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:05 PM   #14
Desert_Eagle02

Love the cars, hate the show. That being said, Mark is extremely educated in Mopars and how they were built. Unfortunately I can't stand his personality.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:22 AM   #15
Boog
laying low

I have to wonder about the show's sponsors. Why would any company want to be associated with that guy?

Old 12-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #16
midniteblues

The fella' certainly is a bit inflated and obsessed.
But I do like the level of correct detail they sometimes show that goes into the awesome cars they build.
One can use some of these tips and adapt it into there own work.

As for the goofing around, it's a TV show.
They probably think if each and every episode was 100% about the car or shop then they would run out of content. Or its to exploit that mark is a shop owner that is serious about the cars but can still be in a way, a goof and his shop is a easy going good fun place to work for.

One evening about two weeks ago I had my late evening dinner all ready the house was quite with everyone up in their rooms.
So I plopped my behind in the lazy boy and grabbed the clicker.
It took me few minutes too find 3 differnt clickers and too acually figure how too turn on the tv and too get it to the guide.
Few more min. too scroll through pages of hundreds of useless unwatched, unwanted channels I pay for(a never ending husband & wife battle).

Finally I found a gas monkey show, the garage squad show and a newer car show all on at the same time but on different channels but I can flip between each as a commercial comes break on.
Cool!
I can finally relax, eat , watch and HEAR something on TV I wanna watch

In one half hours time I saw a total of 8-10 minutes of car shows and 20-22 minutes of annoying unrealistic commercials.
It took me as long to get the shows on as it did for me to eat my food.

I really dislike what TV has become anymore.
I don't feel bad for the people that fall for the buy this, buy that, this is what you need, we are the best, pitches.
Insurance company's (one of the biggest scams ever) has overrun the tv. and people actually buy into this crap they let the screen tell them what they see is what they need and need now cause it's the best and only option out there.

The dvr is the only way to go anymore. But that's only if yours isn't filled with episodes of big brother,spongebob, glee, catfish, and other totally unreal nonsense.

Save America!
As most of our children are becoming helpless,thoughtless,lazy googly eyed screen attracted push buttoned zombies.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #17
CG
BlahBlahBlah

One thing about a lot of the car shows ( a common thing to most of us here ) is that there is so much product placement in the shows themselves. Basically it has built in advertising along with the junk commercials. I suppose that helps.

My guess is with so many people that have all the pay stuff that doesn't have commercials and the huge use of DVRs is that there is going to be a lot of product placement in the non reality stuff. Mom opens the cupboard no more generic boxes and cans but actual real products we can all purchase at any grocery store.

Ive forgotten which shows, but a few I used to watch snuck in some car advertising. People hop in to the car ... Wow Bob, I didn't know you got a new car. Oh yeah Mike, this new Toyota has auto parking and navigation and web and it takes me to the Starbucks with the shortest line every morning. But right now we got to catch up to those criminals.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #18
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I'll have to see if it's on Netflix or Hulu

The only ads I see are during local news morning and night
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #19
Desert_Eagle02

I know people are skeptical about Graveyard Carz and their '71 'Cuda that they said was stolen. People are thinking its a publicity stunt. I don't follow the show enough to have an opinion, but I follow their page on instagram and a lot of people are questioning it.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #20
Boog
laying low

Is that "the cuda" mark is obsessed with that AMD replaced all the body panels for them because his shop was "so busy" ? I don't watch it enough to keep up with that kind of stuff. When I do watch some of it the sound is muted so..

Old 12-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #21
Desert_Eagle02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Is that "the cuda" mark is obsessed with that AMD replaced all the body panels for them because his shop was "so busy" ? I don't watch it enough to keep up with that kind of stuff. When I do watch some of it the sound is muted so..
Not sure if AMD did the body on it, but the 'Cuda that was stolen is painted Sassy Grass Green. They built it for the SEMA show in Vegas.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:01 PM   #22
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
I'll have to see if it's on Netflix or Hulu

The only ads I see are during local news morning and night
Some episodes are on youtube.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I have to wonder about the show's sponsors. Why would any company want to be associated with that guy?
Here is what sponsors want:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Eagle02 View Post
Love the cars, hate the show. That being said, Mark is extremely educated in Mopars and how they were built. Unfortunately I can't stand his personality.
It's the perfect formula for the TV producers. Controversy sells, gets people talking about it more than a pleasant show. It's about money, not quality or using the media to help shape a better society.

Tim