The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
victorb

Secure locking tailgate handle for 2007 Classic? Help!

I recently bought a nice A.R.E Camper Shell to put on my 2007 Silverado Classic. I needed something I could lock to keep my tools safe. To my utter amazement, unlike camper shells I have had in the past that prevented the tailgate from opening, this new A.R.E. camper shell allows the tailgate to freely open with no resistance. I was like, "What in the World!!!" What kind of an idiot would make such a thing, and much less, SELL it? Unfortunately, I bought it off Craigslist and did not have a salesman I could go choke to death and could not return it. "Oh well", I thought; "I will just buy a locking tailgate handle and that will fix the problem." So I ordered a a really nice looking lockable tailgate handle system from BOLT. It says right on the package that it fits, "07 Silverados and Sierras". Well, that is a bald faced lie, because it totally does not fit my 2007 Silverado. Of course, we all know why it does not fit, mine is a Classic Body Style and for some unfathomable reason, BOLT Manufacturing, is oblivious to the well known fact that GM made two Silverado body styles in 2007, because if they knew this, they would have put, "Fits 07 Silverados and Sierras New Body Style ONLY!" on the package. But I digress.

So I returned the BOLT kit and went looking for locking tailgate kit for a 2006 Silverado. I thought it would be simple. Boy was I wrong!. Sure, there are a couple out there, but the ones I looked at like the Pilot OEM and the Bully systems are totally useless. They have no way of preventing a thief from removing the bezel and gaining access to the internal working of the tailgate handle where they could easily circumvent the lock. From the installation videos I watched about those products, I could circumvent those systems in about 5 seconds or less. Plus, I believe from what I saw in the videos, a reasonably strong person could lift up hard enough on those system to open the tailgate anyway. So far I have been unable to find anything for the classic body style that appeared to be even remotely secure.

It just blows my mind that I am having such a hard time finding a decent locking tailgate handle system for a GM truck model that has been around for over 10 years. Can someone please help me!
victorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
grumpyolddog

Re: Secure locking tailgate handle for 2007 Classic? Help!

I had to put a deadbolt inside my tailgate to lock it. I too have an A.R.E. topper.
grumpyolddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:46 AM   #3
victorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyolddog View Post
I had to put a deadbolt inside my tailgate to lock it. I too have an A.R.E. topper.
Thanks. After searching in vain all day for a decent locking handle, I had already come to the conclusion that slide bolt on the inside of the tailgate was the only thing I could do. I hate drilling holes in my truck, but I really have no choice if I want any kind of security. I figured out a long time ago that the best way to stop a thief is to confuse them. They can't circumvent a locking system they can't see or figure out. Sometimes some simple good old fashion home grown ingenuity is way better then all the fancy new fangled technology. You know what the most secure computer in the world is? One that is unplugged from the wall!
victorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
onebad65c10
Gm for life.

Here is what i have in my 05. Love it cause its hooked to my power locks. When I lock and unlock my drivers door it does the same to the tailgate. In the lock position there is no way to move the tligate handle unless you break it off. Hope this helps.

Heres FleeBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pop-Lock-PL8...11a5ea&vxp=mtr

Heres one on Amazon.
Amazon.com: Pop & Lock PL8110 Power Tailgate... Amazon.com: Pop & Lock PL8110 Power Tailgate...
Toys:
D/D: 2017 Silverado LTZ2 crewcab

1969 Pontiac GTO Yes it is a real goat waiting its turn to be the car it was.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...59&ref=profile
onebad65c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #5
simenad

I am doing the same thing, what did you do for mods inside the gate with the rods etc?
simenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
Blazer Dude

Go to a Chevy dealer and they sell a lock for it. It's super easy to install and is very secure. It's made out of all metal pieces and you can't get it out without being on the inside of the tailgate. There is no drilling required. It costs about $70 but it's a great lock.
Blazer Dude is offline   Reply With Quote