The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2019, 11:50 PM   #1
siggyfreud

Project "Ghost of Poseidon" - 1972 C10 Pro-touring

Howdy, all!

It's been a while since I've been on the forum. For years I worked on my last project "Second Chance" which was a 66' GMC Long-fleet. Due to life, circumstance, and what was left in the project I ended up selling it. It went to a great home, a quadriplegic father and his son wanting to finish putting it together. I hope it's out there somewhere giving them lots of pleasure .

Now it's time to take up another project. Currently, I'm finishing a 1969 ElCamino for my father-in-law, so that's taking up precious garage space, so this project will be a slow going start.

The 1972 C10 came from someone who had done some custom bodywork on it, shortened the bed, widened the rear, tubbed it, etc. It seems to have been pretty well done, the body appears straight and seems to be minimal rust.

My plan for this is to build a menacing pro-touring truck that I can daily. I plan on going with a non-metallic grey paint akin to what Audi has and utilizing some carbon fiber parts, as well as some original parts painted to look a bit more modern. This may not be the build for everyone, and that's okay. There is enough out there for us all!

To start, I'm trying to make this a better driver.

In the short term I'll be:

1. Upgrading the headlights (ordered those today)
2. Upgrading the seat (thinking TMI buckets)
3. Upgrading the brakes (looking at 14" Z06 front, something matching in the rear, and a hydroboost unit).

From there I'll start looking into an LS swap with either a 4 or 6-speed auto.

Then suspension, new wheels, finish interior, and finally, paint!

Here is what I'm starting with.

Cheers all, and though it may not have mass appeal, I hope this project interests at least a few .

PS. Apologies as I didn't realize someone else had a Project Ghost going. I might think of another name and ping a mod to change the title .

Last edited by siggyfreud; 03-19-2019 at 12:16 AM.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
siggyfreud

Re: Project "Ghost" - 1972 C10 Pro-touring

Hey all,

I plan on getting more into this shortly. I've been wrapping up a project for my father-in-law that I'm delivering this coming Father's day. He handed over his 69' El Camino for me to freshen up after his mother passed and left it to him. I've had it about 9 months doing everything from brakes, engine, suspension, interior. Glad to finally finish a project.

Here are a few from then and now:

As far as the truck goes, I've gotten the bed sprayed, as I have and intend to continue to use this as a truck. I have also upgraded the headlights to some Dapper true HID projectors, and wired in turn signals into the halo lens. They look awesome.

Once the Elky is totally done I'll turn to upgrading the brakes. Going from a disc/drum to a Bear disc/disc setup with hydro boost. Should be quite the change!
Old 06-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
siggyfreud

Got started on the big brake kit. Found out Baer sent me red calipers with black letters for the front (what I wanted) and black calipers with red letters for the front. So gotta get that sorted out.

While I wait on brakes, I'm also going to do the sound deadening, carpet, new seats, and seatbelts. Interior reeked of musk cologne, especially in the heat. Time for all that interior stuff to go!

Going to wait until I do suspension and upgrade/refresh the steering components and ball joints.

Also discovered the previous owner was running tires too big for the wheels. 255/45s on 18x7 in the front, and 305s on the 20x10 on the rear. Front needs new rubber badly, so I need to either go down a size, which I don't really want to do or eat it and upgrade the wheels now.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #4
siggyfreud

Got a little more done on the rear brakes. Decided while they're out to upgrade the axles and replace the bearing/seals. So I could only get so far with the rear brakes today . . .

Old 06-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #5
siggyfreud

After cleaning up the floor, stripping it, and de-gluing I started the sound deadening.

I'm waiting on the new Moser axles to be turned so the fit the Baer rotors.

I'll be doing two layers of the mat, then a layer of dynaliner, then carpet.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #6
Dchamber

I cant stop looking at the back end!!
1972 Chevy C10
1985 Jeep Cherokee SBC, sm465, np205 with 1 tons
2012 Jeep JK
Dchamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:46 AM   #7
cornerstone

Any reason you don’t want to get tires that fit properly on the front? If your like me, I use excuses to justify new wheels. Like...“ well, there is a decent layer of brake dust on the chrome, so I better just get ahead of it and grab that new set...” Really though, what are your plans for wheels? Perhaps something to show off the purdy big brakes? You’ getting a bunch of work done in a hurry on this man. Very cool.
Brian

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:58 AM   #8
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Any reason you don’t want to get tires that fit properly on the front? If your like me, I use excuses to justify new wheels. Like...“ well, there is a decent layer of brake dust on the chrome, so I better just get ahead of it and grab that new set...” Really though, what are your plans for wheels? Perhaps something to show off the purdy big brakes? You’ getting a bunch of work done in a hurry on this man. Very cool.
Brian
Mainly because I want larger tires. They're 255 on the front, and I'd really like to stick with that or go bigger. I have 305's on the rear, so I'd like to get like a 275 or 285 on the front. Sticking with the rim there now the MOST I could get would be a 235 I think as it's a 7" rim, and even that might be bigger than ideal for good handling.

So I'd really like to go with an 18x9 or 18x10 on the front. I'm happy to keep the rears as I think they're 20x11, and I don't mind a staggered look.

But I NEED new front tires, as they're down to the wear bars, so If I'm dropping a few hundred on nice tires, I'd rather not spend the money twice.

I love a Rambler-style wheel, but if I stick with these American racing wheels, which I do like, it'll be cheaper replacing 2 wheels instead of 4.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:00 AM   #9
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchamber View Post
I cant stop looking at the back end!!
Is that a "come hither" stare, or a "WTF did you do" stare?
Old 06-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #10
halfstep

Don't change your tail!
halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #11
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I'm still deciding whether I like the tail or not. It is intriguing to say the least. Someone definitely did a lot of work to accomplish it.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #12
siggyfreud

Some of just like big butts I guess . I should have named this project J Lo.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:14 PM   #13
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Some of just like big butts I guess . I should have named this project J Lo.
That's funny

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #14
siggyfreud

More of the interior is coming together. Got both seats in now, and boy am I happy with the extra space I get from them. Will certainly feel way less cramped and make my driving position way more comfortable than the bench seat.

1. Added some dynapad over two layers of dynamat to increase sound and heat insulation.
2. Added carpet
3. Installed the 3 point seatbelts
4. Installed seat frame
5. Installed TMI bucket seats.

Can't wait to finish the brakes and drive it again.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #15
93Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Got a little more done on the rear brakes. Decided while they're out to upgrade the axles and replace the bearing/seals. So I could only get so far with the rear brakes today . . .

I may have missed this but, is that a standard truck 12 bolt rear? If so where did you get the swap parts?
Old 06-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #16
siggyfreud

Yup it's a standard truck 12 bolt. Baer brakes make 4 different kits for these rears. I'm using their smallest one since the rest are more expensive and overkill for my forseeable needs.

https://baer.com/12-Rear-SS4-Brake-S...e-4302468.html

Matt's Classic Bowties offers really good pricing on these through the forum, which saved me more money.

I ended up having to mill down both the inner circle and outer diameter of my rear axles so they'd fit the rotors flush. Baer said this isn't unordinary and that I could turn the rotors or axles, either was okay. I figured I'd do the axles so future rotor replacements would fit. Baer said they could pre-turn the rotors for me if I knew the size when ordering.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #17
93Polo

Good info and agreed.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #18
Ol Blue K20

It's looking great! Keep up the great work.....I wanna ride when ya go for a ride!

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-16-2019, 03:00 AM   #19
siggyfreud

Brakes almost done. Had to order some 1/8" wheel spacers so these Torq Thrust IIs would clear the Baer calipers. I thought they would, but the spokes barely graze them. So spacers it is until I change wheels later on.

Ended up making my own brake lines as the premade ones had the wrong size ends on one side. They turned out okay I think. Had about 4 leaks on initial test, but they just required a little more synching and so far no leaking when using full force on the pedal. I'll give it another test tomorrow with the engine running and hydroboost going. If no leaks there then I'd say good to go for a field test!

Also formed my own power steering and hydrolines with some AN fitting and high pressure lines.

Here is some eye candy.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #20
siggyfreud

Well, the spacers didn't work. They simply moved the area of the rim that contacts the calipers. After a discussion with MCB, and their info from Baer, it appears Torque Thrust IIs are the worst wheel possible to have with big brake upgrades. Fortunately, they came with the truck (as opposed to me buying them), and while I like the style, they're pretty commonplace and I had intended to go with different wheels. I just hadn't planned on it so soon.

It sounds like I'll need to go the custom wheel route, and after much looking, I've landed on these:

I'm currently between jobs, but once I do I'll be ordering a set in 20x10 (front) and 20x12 (rear) after I ensure they'll fit.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #21
Mbeef61

Following along. Anything new going on with the project?
Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:44 AM   #22
SierraMtns

Cool build. I am along for the ride.
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #23
siggyfreud

Nothing too new as of late. I think I finally got the hydroboost system bled, but still have to get wheels and tires to test it all out.

Still deciding on what wheels to get, but I have a tool coming, and a company that is going to bring out about 5-6 different tires sizes so I can take measurements and get them ordered.

After wheels and tires I'll likely start saving for suspension. I plan to do a full coilover build.

I also bought new altman door latches, so I'll be doing that sometime as well

I'm selling my house, so I'm reticent to start anything major, as who knows when it will sell and I'll need to move the project to the next place. Will be easier to keep it running/driving until then .
Old 08-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #24
siggyfreud

Hey all,

It's been awhile since the last update, so I thought I'd do a video to summarize some of the more recent work. Check it out and leave some feedback here in the thread .

Old 08-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #25
cornerstone

Nice video. I like the dapper headlights also, and was wondering about the options when in use. Thanks for the thorough rundown on the work done.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote