The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2019, 11:23 PM   #76
roll_the_dice

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Lookin good man

That seatbelt mod is hilariously unsafe Replacing the old belts in my truck has been one of the best things I have done to it. I love having a shoulder belt now, and the new belts look better
Yeah I have been planning on upgrading the belts since I got it. I have shoulder belts but they didn't work very well and then the passenger one died right before I started taking things apart. What belts did you end up going with?
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #77
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Yeah I have been planning on upgrading the belts since I got it. I have shoulder belts but they didn't work very well and then the passenger one died right before I started taking things apart. What belts did you end up going with?
I got everything from seatbeltplanet.com/ The staff was very helpful when I had some questions, and I was able to get it all in in just about a day's worth of work. I would buy from them again if I were to get another truck. I can dig up my invoice and show you exactly what I got if you need it

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #78
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
I got everything from seatbeltplanet.com/ The staff was very helpful when I had some questions, and I was able to get it all in in just about a day's worth of work. I would buy from them again if I were to get another truck. I can dig up my invoice and show you exactly what I got if you need it
That would be awesome...You can PM me it if you prefer. Would love to see exactly what you got! Since I have shoulder belts now, it should be an easy swap. Did you get a middle lap belt also? Thanks!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:09 PM   #79
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
That would be awesome...You can PM me it if you prefer. Would love to see exactly what you got! Since I have shoulder belts now, it should be an easy swap. Did you get a middle lap belt also? Thanks!
Order Details:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quantity: 2
Item: Threaded Mounting Plates (950033)

Unit Price: $17.95
Total Price: $35.90
Quantity: 1
Item: Hardware Kit #2 (950-V04)
Select Grade: Grade 8 Strength (025) ($2.00)

Unit Price: $4.95
Total Price: $4.95
Item: Hardware Kit #1 (950001)

Unit Price: $5.95
Total Price: $5.95
Item: 2-Point Lap Seat Belt All Metal Starburst or GM Logo Buckle
(101)
Webbing Color: 10 - Black (10)
Buckle Style: GM Logo Push Button Buckle (GM) ($12.00)
Length: 74 Inch (74) ($1.00)

Unit Price: $33.95
Total Price: $33.95
Quantity: 2
Item: 3-Point Lap/Shoulder Retractable Seat Belt All Metal Starburst
or GM Logo Buckle (301)
Webbing Color: 10 - Black (10)
Buckle Style: GM Logo Push Button Buckle (GM) ($12.00)
Retractor Length & Buckle Style: 140 Inch w/20 Inch Fixed (160)
Shoulder Loop: Regular Shoulder Loop

Unit Price: $88.95
Total Price: $177.90
Promotion: workplaydrive
Description: Work Play Drive - 7% Discount
Code: WORKPLAYDRIVE

Discount: -$18.10
subtotal: $258.65
discounts: $18.10
shipping: $5.00
total: $245.55

That's exactly what I got. Not sure if that discount code is still valid, but you could try it. I did get the center belt as well, and I am glad that I did because I use it to secure my cooler.
Since you already have shoulder belts, you might not need the backing plates that I used for the upper shoulder mount. I had to use the ones with a welded nut on the back so that I could get a wrench up in there and tighten the bolt. I did not have to do any welding to the cab

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 01-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #80
roll_the_dice

Thanks Christian...much appreciated. I am afraid to take my old belts out...no telling how they had the bolt in place for the upper part after seeing their hook belt middle seat design.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #81
cwcarpenter98

Anytime man. Judging by the middle belt install, I would be scared on the shoulder belts too, but would want to take them off for safety's sake. I recommend using the backing plates with the nut so you don't have to weld anything. I was able to tape a screwdriver to the wrench so I didn't have to move the gas tank

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #82
roll_the_dice

Finally got around to clear coating my air cleaner today. I am going to have a few things under the hood the original color of the truck for nostalgic reasons. Still wet, so in the next day or two, I will wetsand and polish to get any orange peel out.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #83
Johns 66

Quote:
Finally got around to clear coating my air cleaner today. I am going to have a few things under the hood the original color of the truck for nostalgic reasons. Still wet, so in the next day or two, I will wetsand and polish to get any orange peel out.
Andy..That looks great!!!
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:24 PM   #84
roll_the_dice

Thanks John! I appreciate it.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #85
roll_the_dice

Hope this helps someone down the line. Starting to think about installing my engine and trans. I have a Tremec T56 Magnum 6 speed ready to go with my GM crate motor. I was always semi worried about the gear shift location, but knew it could be moved.

I did research yesterday and saw a DIY kit to move it to the forward position,but had to take trans apart to do it. Great thread here on this DIY Not what I was really wanting to do, but if I had to I had no choice. Then I did more research and determined the DIY kit was for an OEM Tremec T56 (a used one out of a GM Camaro or similar) not the Aftermarket Tremec T56 Magnum I bought.

I found out that there are 3 locations that are plug and play on my trans. The factory spec, right in front of it and the front location (which is what I want to use). To use the shifter location in front of factory spec, you just need to swap the plate with the shifter to the other side. In essence reverse the plate so it is facing the other way. Then I determined that Tremec (and others) make a 4 bolt plate with new shifter for the forward position with a 6 bolt cover plate for the rear. So you just need to take off the factory shifter and cover the opening with the plate provided. Don't forget to put RTV on the plate before bolting it down. Remove the forward plate and put in the new shifter again putting RTV for a no leak fit.

When I actually do it, I will take photos and do a DIY for the trans if anyone is interested.

Here is a pic of my transmission in the box and 2 shifters for the move to the front location. Found the Tremec at SpeedwayMotors.com here and another at Coreshifters.com. I will most likely go with the Tremec even though a little more expensive.

Edit: Definitely buying the Tremec shifter. I contacted coreshifters today to ask a quick question. They answered quickly enough, but the answer didn't address my questions and I was told to read the page the shifter was on. Well I read the page many times before I contacted them and the answer was not there. If you don't have good customer service before a sale, what should we expect after they have our money? Buyer beware IMHO...Will not be purchasing anything from them...regardless of the $ savings.
Attached Images

Last edited by roll_the_dice; 04-29-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #86
Johns 66

Boy you in Big Dog world with that Tranny...LOL Im glad you can move the shifter to where is will be more comfortable and clear the seat.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #87
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Boy you in Big Dog world with that Tranny...LOL Im glad you can move the shifter to where is will be more comfortable and clear the seat.
I bought that when I thought I had money for an unlimited budget build!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:55 PM   #88
roll_the_dice

Thought this was a cool picture. Was wet sanding and polishing the air cleaner yesterday and took a mid polish picture...big difference between the 2 sides.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #89
cwcarpenter98

Polished up is looking real nice!

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #90
Johns 66

Quote:
Thought this was a cool picture. Was wet sanding and polishing the air cleaner yesterday and took a mid polish picture...big difference between the 2 sides.
That is gonna look sharp on your truck. I am thinking about buying a gun and attempting to do the body work on my truck...I looked at Eastwood at some stuff...a Contour gun set was 300.00 on sale....but I have never done paint and body so just kicking around options
Old 01-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #91
roll_the_dice

I was told once...if you want to learn how to paint body panels...go to the junkyard and buy a cheaper fender...and paint it. I am not great at painting, but I am pretty good wet sanding and polishing. Most flaws can be wet sanded out. I've got a good gun, but rarely use it. Everything I have painted so far is either rattle can or I powder coated. I am too heavy handed with a gun. I also need a better air compressor....which will come soon. I currently am only using a 30 gallon 3.5 HP from Home Depot. I want a 5-7.5 HP 60-80 gallon Champion or Saylor Beall. Something made in the USA!
Old 01-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #92
straight6chevyguy

Looking good!
2002 Chevy s10 4.3L auto 4x4
1971 mercury monterey wagon 400 auto
To many projects!
straight6chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #93
roll_the_dice

Thanks Straight6chevyguy. I appreciate it.

Removed the kick panel carpet and door sill on the drivers side yesterday. I wanted to start removing the wiring harness. Found a little bit of rust in the trough and a whole lot of dirt under the carpet and some ants. Got all that vacuumed out and wire wheeled the trough and surrounding area. Going to lay down some KBS coating rust seal this week (weather permitting). So after I cleaned that up I started removing the harness and got most of it out...will finish today. Tidy up under the dash. Going to paint the interior cab and firewall. Then start the rewire with AAW update kit.

I need to do the passenger side kick panel and door sill also. I expect to find the same rust over there.

The more I get into this truck the more I see how the "upgrades" weren't done correctly. I want to replace/rebuild my power steering box. The box has only 3 bolts holding it on and isn't located in the correct holes. They drilled new holes and moved it back I guess to fit the steering shaft they had? So I need to get that taken care of and correct. Probably hit CaptainFab up for his power steering box bracket to be on the safe side.

Slow and Steady right?
Old 01-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #94
Johns 66

Quote:
Thanks Straight6chevyguy. I appreciate it.

Removed the kick panel carpet and door sill on the drivers side yesterday. I wanted to start removing the wiring harness. Found a little bit of rust in the trough and a whole lot of dirt under the carpet and some ants. Got all that vacuumed out and wire wheeled the trough and surrounding area. Going to lay down some KBS coating rust seal this week (weather permitting). So after I cleaned that up I started removing the harness and got most of it out...will finish today. Tidy up under the dash. Going to paint the interior cab and firewall. Then start the rewire with AAW update kit.

I need to do the passenger side kick panel and door sill also. I expect to find the same rust over there.

The more I get into this truck the more I see how the "upgrades" weren't done correctly. I want to replace/rebuild my power steering box. The box has only 3 bolts holding it on and isn't located in the correct holes. They drilled new holes and moved it back I guess to fit the steering shaft they had? So I need to get that taken care of and correct. Probably hit CaptainFab up for his power steering box bracket to be on the safe side.

Slow and Steady right?
Slow and steady my brother......I bought the PS bracket from Capt Fab as well....Just waiting on the unit to be removed from another truck so I can get it installed in mine.

Its funny how when you look at a truck to buy that you don't see all the little things that have been covered up...Lord knows I didn't know my rockers and part of my floor was a bondo pit....But its all good...Its being done right now.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #95
kdad

That looks amazing. crazy what some wet sanding and polish can do for paint..... Coming along very nicely.
Quote:

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #96
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Slow and steady my brother......I bought the PS bracket from Capt Fab as well....Just waiting on the unit to be removed from another truck so I can get it installed in mine.

Its funny how when you look at a truck to buy that you don't see all the little things that have been covered up...Lord knows I didn't know my rockers and part of my floor was a bondo pit....But its all good...Its being done right now.
You're not kidding! This has been a learning experience for sure on what to look at when they say, "I upgraded (fill in the blank).

Just went and looked again because it didn't look right, then it hit me. To get the power steering box in, they removed and discarded the drivers side front bumper bracket! UGH...now I need to get a new bracket.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #97
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdad View Post
That looks amazing. crazy what some wet sanding and polish can do for paint..... Coming along very nicely.
Thanks Kdad...your truck is coming along great!
Old 01-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #98
cwcarpenter98

Slow progress is still progress though!

I'm already wishing that this week was over so I can go home and hopefully drive my truck again

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-23-2019, 12:03 AM   #99
roll_the_dice

I agree Christian...slow is better than none. I wish mine was driveable! Can't wait for that again.

Got the wiring harness out today along with the heater under the dash. Also pulled the Sony cd player.

since my dash is butchered for the stereo, I am debating whether to get a delete plate or have someone weld a stereo panel in for me so I can go back to a new stock looking stereo.

So if anyone has a delete plate...hit me up.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:24 AM   #100
cwcarpenter98

I have this one out of a 60-63, but I think the 64-66 are different
Attached Images

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport