The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
Duckhawk

Reviving this build

Ok, i bought this truck back some time ago. I really want to make it cool so before i go and set it on a 1ton frame do i have any options for wheels and tires? Axle swaps? I like the stance as is and i guess i could lift back up or slam it down but i would like to start with the wheels and tires. Affordable options, is it possible to make it handle a Napco style axle or wheel. Cab it be turned into a 4 wheeler?

Thanks guys!
Attached Images

Last edited by Duckhawk; 02-19-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Duckhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:38 AM   #2
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

Re: Reviving this build

I've got a nice matched set of Rockwell axles with selectro locking hubs on 6 hole budd wheels, duals on the rear 8.25x20 tires. I've got so many projects I won't miss one. Perfect for a C60.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
5Tractorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckhawk View Post
I really want to make it cool so before i go and set it on a 1ton frame do i have any options for wheels and tires? Axle swaps? I like the stance as is and i guess i could lift back up or slam it down but i would like to start with the wheels and tires. Affordable options, is it possible to make it handle a Napco style axle or wheel. Cab it be turned into a 4 wheeler?
Please don't 1-ton frame and slam it. It's cool the way it is. Want to make it more cool? Pick up a set of 4WD axles like PB has and 4wd it. That would be neat. Truck is in beautiful shape for the age, it would be a down-right shame to see it get chopped up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
Rockwell axles with selectro locking hubs on 6 hole budd wheels, duals on the rear 8.25x20 tires.

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Tractorguy View Post
Please don't 1-ton frame and slam it. It's cool the way it is. Want to make it more cool? Pick up a set of 4WD axles like PB has and 4wd it. That would be neat. Truck is in beautiful shape for the age, it would be a down-right shame to see it get chopped up...
Duck,
I know its becoming more taboo to discourage anything online nowadays, people only want encouragement. I get the reasoning too.

But I gotta agree with Tractorguy here. It's sad with how widespead your problem is(I had it) yet there really is no easy or cheap way of getting around it.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
Duckhawk

I appreciate the comments guys, i love the truck just like it is!

Id just like to bring it into this century some, especially with wheels and tires.

I have a new crate motor in her, PS, PB

Nothing wrong with it honestly. Id just like to be able to travel alittle better at distance and lower rpms. Lol
Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
5Tractorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
It's sad with how widespead your problem is(I had it) yet there really is no easy or cheap way of getting around it.
Still don't understand why everyone wants their trucks dragging on the ground... another topic for another thread though.

Quote:
I appreciate the comments guys, i love the truck just like it is!

Id just like to bring it into this century some, especially with wheels and tires.

I have a new crate motor in her, PS, PB

Nothing wrong with it honestly. Id just like to be able to travel alittle better at distance and lower rpms. Lol
Good to hear!

Hard to tell but looks like it still has split rims? I heard they made 20" rims like that that are "regular" rims but they are far and few in between. I think some guys have had custom steel wheels made. Or you can put them awful Alcoas on it...

How about finding an auxiliary transmission for your speed problem? I put a 3spd Spicer 5531 in my GMC 5000. 3rd has a 0.73 to 1 overdrive so I picked up about 10-12mph. Helped out a lot since my top speed used to be 35mph.

Name:  DSCN2740.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  53.4 KB

5Tractorguy on Youtube
Old 02-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
Duckhawk

I honestly didn't know a thing about the spicer

Could you auto trans it with a 4l60 abd change the gearing/speed any? Or would you think the manual would be the way to go with the truck being the size it is?
Old 02-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
5Tractorguy

In a big truck myself, I'd stick with the manual, think you'd have a little more control when hauling loads.
There has been talk of guys wanting to put the 4LXXX transmissions in larger trucks. I don't know what the capacity of those transmission are though. If you dig around on here you may find the info, or someone else will come up with it.

If you can find a diff carrier with a higher ratio that can be swapped out too.

Some of the C60's that were used for fire trucks had the autos in them. I don't know what they used for a trans off hand though.

5Tractorguy on Youtube
Old 02-20-2018, 02:04 AM   #9
jumpsoffrock

I seem to remember the late 60's chevy medium duty trucks would use a 4-spd Allison automatic.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #10
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I guess we all see things a little different.

Its like me i had a 1964 3 ton 20 foot bob tail flat bed i drove it for 1 year until i parked it at a friend of mine cus i had no room for it.Some how some kids found it and destroyed it.They broke ever peace of glass took a brick to the instrument cluster opened the hood and beat the radiator to death Pured water in the motor broke off the gas cap pure sand in the gas tank..Any thing they could mess up they did found out when we where towing it home some one put nails in the Rear end the cap or plug that was there was not there.only thing they did not hurt was all 6 tires they jumped up and down on the roof and the hood.

Lets just say i cried for a week then i moved on.

My friend came back from vacation came over to my house when he saw the truck.He did not say one word all he did was put his truck in reverse spun the tires stopped long enough to tell me friend he;s going to go kick the **** out of his bother and his kids.

later that week Kevin show back up with his bother or what look like his bother.I found out that his bother got into a fight with his bother and when he went fishing for the week with family.He and his 3 kids took it out on my truck thinking it was some beat up old truck his bother bought for parts.

Kevin was a loss of words.What can you say its done.

But now i'm going to have good amount of funds soon to put 60K in to both trucks so 30K for each one.This is what i'm looking to do i've put out on the list to find people to tell me its a good idea or a bad one.

Not to sound stupid witch it will be.But I'm looking to invest into 2 of these old chevy trucks from the 1964-66 trucks.I'm not looking to keep the factory engines in them.I want to Up date to modern LS or Duramax.What are the pit falls of running these types of engines in these old trucks.

I'm looking to run hydro boost brakes Run the newer power steering box AC and run the Allison 6-9 speed.

My question's are can i make the 1980 and up front Ibeam work in my older truck cus i want to run disc brakes.

Do i need to update the rear end for the automatic trans or can i just use the one that came with the truck.it will be check cleaned and fixed if needed.

Would it do any good to run a Air bag system under the truck for handling and comfort.Just asking Questions
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:26 PM   #11
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Quote:
I honestly didn't know a thing about the spicer

Could you auto trans it with a 4l60 abd change the gearing/speed any? Or would you think the manual would be the way to go with the truck being the size it is?
the 4L60E is a car trans That's like using a 200R4 in a 3/4ton or 1 ton truck they don't handle well Plus the 4L60E-4L65E and the Van heavy duty for the 1/2 ton vans the 4L70E.If your going in a 1 ton and above use the 4L80E or the Allison 6-9 speed you will love your self at passing gas stations
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote