The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2019, 12:02 AM   #1
lit549

New to the 60's c10

Well,I officially a 62 swb stepside owner!My last 2 builds were a 84 s10 and recently a 85 swb c10.
What are the common mods on these 62's??The truck I bought has 5 lug front end,tilt steering ,and a ford 9in back halved with 18" wide tires.Ok,on the front suspension,what do I order parts for if I ever need bearings,brakes,ball joints,steering components?
Also what is needed to install a 454 in this 62?I take it that it was originally a torsion bar setup,it's no longer that setup..What headers/engine mounts and trans mounts??Thanks in advance,I tried searching the forum but that feature isn't working.
Attached Images

lit549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:29 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: New to the 60's c10

Welcome the the forum that is a good looking '62 It appears there is no engine in it? It is anyone's guess what the PO used for the front suspension. It could be any combination of parts or all '71-'72, or all '73-'87. Pics would help ID it. Installing a BBC in a '60-'62 frame isn't quite as easy as in a '63+ frame. If you use any of the OEM or aftermarket engine mounts, you will need spacers on top of the frame.If you are installing an auto trans the transmission crossmember will need to be fabricated since no one makes one for the '60-'62 frame. If you are installing a manual trans, you can not bolt up a BBC to the original style bellhousing mounted to the crossmember without modifying the firewall. I always recommend short water pumps in these trucks, especially with a BB, but most go with a long pump regardless.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:03 AM   #3
lit549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Welcome the the forum that is a good looking '62 It appears there is no engine in it? It is anyone's guess what the PO used for the front suspension. It could be any combination of parts or all '71-'72, or all '73-'87. Pics would help ID it. Installing a BBC in a '60-'62 frame isn't quite as easy as in a '63+ frame. If you use any of the OEM or aftermarket engine mounts, you will need spacers on top of the frame.If you are installing an auto trans the transmission crossmember will need to be fabricated since no one makes one for the '60-'62 frame. If you are installing a manual trans, you can not bolt up a BBC to the original style bellhousing mounted to the crossmember without modifying the firewall. I always recommend short water pumps in these trucks, especially with a BB, but most go with a long pump regardless.
You're correct, I bought it as a roller. .Does anyone make engine mounts for the bbc In to a 62?I'll get some.pics in the morning ,I appreciate it ,just trying to get a mental list of things I need to do.I still need to see what the gear ratio is also.Someone has installed electric windows and seats in this thing..
Old 01-21-2019, 12:28 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I do not know of anyone that makes any aftermarket engine mount brackets for the '60-'62 frame. The people at the big name parts sellers will tell you that the mounts that they sell will work, but they really do not fit correctly without a spacer on top of the frame. The '60-'62 frame is shorter in height than the '63-'87 frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lit549 View Post
You're correct, I bought it as a roller. .Does anyone make engine mounts for the bbc In to a 62?I'll get some.pics in the morning ,I appreciate it ,just trying to get a mental list of things I need to do.I still need to see what the gear ratio is also.Someone has installed electric windows and seats in this thing..
Old 01-21-2019, 12:31 AM   #5
lit549

Quote:
I do not know of anyone that makes any aftermarket engine mount brackets for the '60-'62 frame. The people at the big name parts sellers will tell you that the mounts that they sell will work, but they really do not fit correctly without a spacer on top of the frame. The '60-'62 frame is shorter in height than the '63-'87 frames.
So ,I need to just order engine mounts for 63-87 and use spacers?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:42 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you want to use aftermarket engine mount brackets, you will need to order them for a '63-'72. You can use the factory engine mount brackets for the '67-'72 small block, which will need little to maybe 1/4" spacer. However the '63-'72 engine mounts really are not durable when used in a high HP/TQ application. The '68-'71 BB engine mounts and brackets would be a better choice from factory offerings, but I do not know how much of a spacer would be requires on top of the frame with those. If you have the skills and equipment, any engine mount bracket can be shortened to accommodate the '60-'62 frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lit549 View Post
So ,I need to just order engine mounts for 63-87 and use spacers?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:31 AM   #7
lit549

Quote:
If you want to use aftermarket engine mount brackets, you will need to order them for a '63-'72. You can use the factory engine mount brackets for the '67-'72 small block, which will need little to maybe 1/4" spacer. However the '63-'72 engine mounts really are not durable when used in a high HP/TQ application. The '68-'71 BB engine mounts and brackets would be a better choice from factory offerings, but I do not know how much of a spacer would be requires on top of the frame with those. If you have the skills and equipment, any engine mount bracket can be shortened to accommodate the '60-'62 frame.
Guess I'm not following what you said,so I'll post a few pics and you can make a suggestion if ya don't mind.Also,I guess for a trans mount ,will a universal one work and just make it fit?Thanka
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2019, 03:34 AM   #8
lit549

And while I'm asking questions probably answered a million times (that I can't find)
What's a good set of headers?Truck will eventually be pretty low to the ground,engine is just gonna be a mild build also.Thanks once again
Old 01-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #9
lit549

Quote:
Here's a few pics of what's in there
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2019, 12:25 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

First off, that frame is a '63-'66 frame not a '60-'62 frame. You can just use the engine mounts that are already in there and move them forward but I don't know how they will sit. The '68-'71 factory BB mounts should just bolt in using existing holes and move the engine forward at the same time. But you will also need to purchase the '68-'71 BB specific engine mounts for it to be resistant to separating.

I don't have a recommendation for headers since I have always purchased long tubes. I don't lower my trucks.

The front suspension is '73-'87. For a trans mount, you can just bolt in a '63-'87 auto trans mount.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:35 AM   #11
lit549

Quote:
First off, that frame is a '63-'66 frame not a '60-'62 frame. You can just use the engine mounts that are already in there and move them forward but I don't know how they will sit. The '68-'71 factory BB mounts should just bolt in using existing holes and move the engine forward at the same time. But you will also need to purchase the '68-'71 BB specific engine mounts for it to be resistant to separating.

I don't have a recommendation for headers since I have always purchased long tubes. I don't lower my trucks.

The front suspension is '73-'87. For a trans mount, you can just bolt in a '63-'87 auto trans mount.
Wow,I appreciate it.I wouldnt have ever known the difference ..I also think the uca,lca and spindles/disc are 73/87...