The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2023, 02:40 AM   #1
howzzzit

Upper trim molding adhesive

Older posts have stated you should remove the adhesive from the upper trim molding pads and replace with 3M double sided tape. Has anyone used these from Classic industries? They show 3M tape in the picture.
Attached Images

howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 04:27 AM   #2
Richard

Re: Upper trim molding adhesive

Classic industries is now owned by Holley if IIRC. A large corporation. What you see is maybe not what you will get. A gamble unless someone has experience about buying. A phone call to ask about the product might be helpful if the person on the line can visually verify the item. Kind of doubt that, but it would not hurt to try. Contact some of the forum venders and ask. Wes @ Classic Heartbeat usually answers the phone. Others are email only and I use them less.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 01:44 PM   #3
Casper42
Account Suspended

why not contact 3M directly and just get a roll of double-sided tape and cut each individual piece as needed. I'd think it's less money than getting these pre-cut. Or go to an autobody shop ask them what they'd recommend and order that
Casper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 05:31 PM   #4
howzzzit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Classic industries is now owned by Holley if IIRC. A large corporation. What you see is maybe not what you will get. A gamble unless someone has experience about buying. A phone call to ask about the product might be helpful if the person on the line can visually verify the item. Kind of doubt that, but it would not hurt to try. Contact some of the forum venders and ask. Wes @ Classic Heartbeat usually answers the phone. Others are email only and I use them less.
Well then I didn't know Holley bought Classic. They own Brothers and there would be my last place to buy. Calling Classic is impossible and if you accidentally reach someone it's like talking to my dog. They'll answer an email in about a week. I have the molding clips from Mar k, but they are old and haven't read anything good on the forum. I assume I can remove the old adhesive? You can buy 3M tape for molding on Amazon. Bought the real thin stuff to put up a mirror frame. Used small pieces here and there around the frame. You'd better put in in the right spot the first time. Very very sticky. I'm going to order extra molding clips and play with the adhesive. I'll try it with old molding pieces before paint. I've got time and I only want to do it once. I remember the gaps between the molding and the body with my old factory trim. Not pretty. Drilling more holes ain't gonna happen.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:38 PM   #5
chevmn

I had several of the old molding pieces, and I cleaned off the old foam type adhesive, and purchased a roll of the 3M tape, and cut my own and applied to the old plastic parts. Did same on lower moldings. I got mine from a glass shop, so might ask there too as they use the 3M tape to mount glass and mirrors.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 08:01 PM   #6
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzzzit View Post
Well then I didn't know Holley bought Classic. They own Brothers and there would be my last place to buy. Calling Classic is impossible and if you accidentally reach someone it's like talking to my dog.
A LOT of after market companies and manufacturers are being bought up by the big corporations. Some of them end up going back through the tree to Vanguard and Blackrock. They're scooping everything up. There are some vendors I used to buy from consistently for the past 20 years.....no more, they got bought out and implemented new 'corporate wholesale policies', don't want to sell to you unless you spend a ton of money with them monthly. Miss that mark and they'll drop you as a vendor.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 11:55 PM   #7
vics stuff

What you need is the 3M emblem and body tape.
This stuff is real thin and once stuck to a clean surface , it is there for good.
The double sided foam tape will not hold very long and your trim will start to pop off.
Using a hair dryer to warm the sheet metal will definitely help in the adhesion process.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 01:45 AM   #8
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzzzit View Post
Well then I didn't know Holley bought Classic. They own Brothers and there would be my last place to buy. Calling Classic is impossible and if you accidentally reach someone it's like talking to my dog. They'll answer an email in about a week. I have the molding clips from Mar k, but they are old and haven't read anything good on the forum. I assume I can remove the old adhesive? You can buy 3M tape for molding on Amazon. Bought the real thin stuff to put up a mirror frame. Used small pieces here and there around the frame. You'd better put in in the right spot the first time. Very very sticky. I'm going to order extra molding clips and play with the adhesive. I'll try it with old molding pieces before paint. I've got time and I only want to do it once. I remember the gaps between the molding and the body with my old factory trim. Not pretty. Drilling more holes ain't gonna happen.
I have a complete upper/lower molding kit with fasteners for my 72 SWB, purchased through a forum vender years ago (Wes). Think it is Mar-K. Hardware has thick foam pads present on the sticky mounts. Plan is and was always to use the thin 3M emblem tape. We use it all the time when re-applying old emblems and trim at the body shop.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 02:14 AM   #9
howzzzit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I have a complete upper/lower molding kit with fasteners for my 72 SWB, purchased through a forum vender years ago (Wes). Think it is Mar-K. Hardware has thick foam pads present on the sticky mounts. Plan is and was always to use the thin 3M emblem tape. We use it all the time when re-applying old emblems and trim at the body shop.
I also have the Mar K full kit for a sb. I'll bet I've had it 15 years still in the boxes. At least I hope it's in the boxes. Could be for a Ford ranchero.